Brewer Fanatic

CC Sabathia to the Brewers for Matt LaPorta, Zach Jackson, Rob Bryson, and Michael Brantley

And That

Sure Melvin will get a job but he might never get another GM job. He did very little for the Rangers and he would have failed to get the Brewers to the playoffs despite having the best rookie offensive season ever, the youngest player to hit 50 home runs and a top ten pitcher.

That's not an answer to the question. Do you think that Melvin made a move, not because he thinks it is the best move for this team right now, but he because he is actively thinking about the possibility of being fired?

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not watching the game, but if Joe Morgan said that, Joe Morgan is a bigger idiot than I could ever have imagined.

We already know he doesn't know anything about the Brewers, because he hasn't seen them play this year. If he said this, it's clear he also knows nothing about our scouting system, our minor-league system, or the system that provides draft-pick compensation to teams that lose free agents.

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

Thanks for the link TLB...I was on the wrong page thinking they hadn't noticed or didn't care. Some real classics in there. I love the 28 page "Milwaukee Journal-Star" thread...just shows the lack of respect Chicago has for their "little brother to the north".

They seem to share this opinion just because of Gagne's struggles that our bullpen is horrible. Granted, it's not our strongest point, but they've gotten some solid performances from guys like Torres. They could use some help as well. It seems 08 Marmol < 07 Marmol.

clanyphile wrote:

Imagine if the Crew can sign Sheets and Sabathia to four-year deals in the offseason... that rotation would be unstoppable next year!

This keeps getting posted, the Brewers can barely afford 1, and Sabathia wants and probably deserves a Santana contract. There is no way the Brewers can go 7 years and 20+ per.

Santana money people...please let that sink in, they Brewers are not resigning him. Enjoy his time here and the 2 draft picks next summer, hopefully this season turns into something special. Resigning Sabathia is not realistic, he wouldn't take Sheets money from Cleveland which is why he's available in the first place, they offered him something like 4 years and 79 mil.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Soup is not going the the pen...he's making too much money for a move like that. Period!

I think Bush will end up in the Pen with the Unbelievable pitching McClung is doing, but I'd actually think McClung is the better fit for the pen. Either Way, I'm very glad that we have McClung.

kramnoj wrote: I don't think anyone is counting on it, but it's fun to think about.

It's absolutely fine if you and others feel that it's fun to think about it. I, for one, do not think of any fun out of putting a potential future ace into dangerous situations when his health is not 100%. Heck, it won't even be 80% in October. I just have too many memories of pitchers trying to come back way too early from an injury and it backfires horribly on them.

Just because an injury feels like it is healed and you are having no problems with it it doesn't mean that it IS healed. I don't know how many times I felt great after a few days of antibiotics for a chest infection, but the infection will return even worse if I don't do ALL the rehab (antibiotics). Maybe it's a bad analogy but so many physiological problems need proper and COMPLETE healing or you risk making things worse or causing incomplete healing which will, then never heal properly.

Sure, it's fun to dream about but I will seriously quit this board and become a Royals fan with Ben Hendrickson's dad if Gallardo pitches at all during the 2008 regular season or post-season (winter ball is another story, although I highly doubt that, too.)

edit: This thread is not for discussing Gallardo, so I'm done talking about it. If you want, we can PM about it, but otherwise, I've said my stance on the issue. You may not agree and that's fine.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

This is just a great deal.. I really do wanna know who the other minor leaguers are. I hope it was just Green and Cain. No Braddock or Lucroy. But this deal IMO makes the brewers the best team in the national league.

pitchleague wrote:

Sure, it's fun to dream about but I will seriously quit this board and become a Royals fan with Ben Hendrickson's dad if Gallardo pitches at all during the 2008 regular season or post-season

I don't know why I find that comment so funny but I'm still laughing.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

What a great day!!

I know there are people who dont want to give up prospects and we all know CC aint stayin, but most of us here have been waiting for 25 years for next year and its finally time to be next year. We are finally a team looking to add at the deadline and not the one getting more prospects (aka question marks). LaPorta could end up being the next Matt Holiday but who cares we are going for a pennant and games that matter during football season. I am happy to be in that position and I would hate to end up like the end of last season wondering what if had we not made this deal. Nice homestand to build it up to end the first half of the year and then its game on and job production down on day games....

Anyway, I just don't agree that adding Sabathia does anything more than add a stellar SP arm. That's what makes a team better, not feeling warm & toasty imo.

Yes.. I think we are arguing the same point I just wasn't clear.. I was trying to say by adding a stellar SP arm all areas of your team improves because:

- You rest your bullpen

- You stop streaks

- You improve your bullpen since nobody on the major league team was traded

- You can withstand injury better.

- You improve your offense since cc will hit better than Bush.

I was trying to state that while a replacements comparison with him and Bush/McClung might be two game but total improvement may be 4-5 when taking into account all of the above. We heard the same last year with Braun coming up from the minors. .if the would have started the year with him at 3b they may have made the playoffs..

This doesn't even take into account the playoffs where Sheets/CC would pitch 2 out of 3 games.

Sure Melvin will get a job but he might never get another GM job. He did very little for the Rangers and he would have failed to get the Brewers to the playoffs despite having the best rookie offensive season ever, the youngest player to hit 50 home runs and a top ten pitcher.

That's not an answer to the question. Do you think that Melvin made a move, not because he thinks it is the best move for this team right now, but he because he is actively thinking about the possibility of being fired?

I 'm saying Melvin made this move because he knows that this is likely his best chance to make the playoffs in teh foreseeable future. He's not getting Sabathia for the playoffs, he's getting him because there is a lot of pressure on him professionally and on the team financially to finally make the playoffs.

Per ESPN.COM, actually sounds like they are taking much of their report from the Journal Sentinel,

"The Brewers and the Cleveland Indians agreed in principle to a deal for the reigning AL Cy Young on Sunday, sources told ESPN's Buster Olney. The deal is contingent on paperwork being finished and the exchange of medical records..."

"In a text message to ESPN.com's Amy K. Nelson, Sabathia all but confirmed the deal.

"I'm good, excited," Sabathia wrote. "It's weird leaving these guys..."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3475667

Now all we need to do is find some bullpen help, I like Shouse, Riske, and Torres but we really need a solid 8th inning guy. Who that might be I ahve no idea. We now have a huge luxury in that we have 2 starts who will each go 7 innings 8 games out 10, that fact alone should help the bullpen. At this point I would rather keep Bush in the rotation, but I would be quick to stick McClung back in their if Bush starts to suck again

Sure, it's fun to dream about but I will seriously quit this board and become a Royals fan with Ben Hendrickson's dad if Gallardo pitches at all during the 2008 regular season or post-season (winter ball is another story, although I highly doubt that, too.)

I don't think there's any chance that team medical staff would allow Gallardo to come back if he wasn't ready. But that is certainly months off and as you said not the focus of this thread.

Back to CC. Since I haven't said it yet in this thread, this move is incredibly exciting. If I had the money, I would buy whatever ticket package I needed to get the chance to get playoff tickets. I'll have to settle for tv and this site!

Archived