Brewer Fanatic

Braun IS All-Star starter, Sheets in as well

This really angers me. I know it's the fans game etc etc, but this is the problem with having the fans vote, it becomes a popularity contest, rather then the best players being voted in as starters. Kosuke and Griffey as starters ahead of Braun?? Give me a break.

Report: D-backs' Webb, Indians' Lee will start ASG

(edit: clickified link --1992)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who let Ichiro and Mauer on the AL starting lineup? There's got to be some more Red Sox or Yankees that can fill those spots.

Hopefully Fukudome plays awful and Braun is put in and becomes the hero late in the game.

If I had to win one game I would take Webb over Haren every time so I have no issue with that one.

All Star game is about the fans getting to see the players they consider the biggest stars play against each other. It isn't about the best players. I'm sure Braun will find a way on the team.

This really angers me. I know it's the fans game etc etc, but this is the problem with having the fans vote, it becomes a popularity contest, rather then the best players being voted in as starters. Kosuke and Griffey as starters ahead of Braun?? Give me a break.

If the best players were selected, none of the NL outfield would have made it. Neither would Braun.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I gotta say, I'm not particularly bothered by this. I'd rather Braun and the Brewers garner real, earned honors than these jokes perpetuated by an ignorant populace. I'd have been much more excited to have seen Sheets earn the start as decided by his peers (which I don't think he has, unfortunately) than to know Braun got voted in by some no-lifer in Fond Du Lac or Waukegan or Hiroshima with a few dozen internet proxies.

That said, I would of course have loved to have seen Braun start, but I'm more excited about other possibilities. Same reason I was excited but ultimately somewhat embarrassed by our massive and successful push to get Jenks on the AS team in an otherwise barren season a few years back.

Just a question, and it's serious, and not asked to be a jerk, but does Braun really deserve the All-Star start? He's clearly not the player he was last year. Is everyone else in the NL so bad that Braun is one of the three best? It might be true (I don't know) but if Braun really is one of the three best that's pretty sad.

If I had to win one game I would take Webb over Haren every time so I have no issue with that one.

All Star game is about the fans getting to see the players they consider the biggest stars play against each other. It isn't about the best players. I'm sure Braun will find a way on the team.

Really? Have you seen him pitch lately and seen his stats lately.

If I Had to start a series today I would take Haren over Webb and I would take Hardy over Braun. Not saying in the future I would not take Webb over Haren and Braun over Hardy. But you have to ride the hot hand and right now Webb's and Braun's are definitely not while Haren's and Hardy's definitely are.

Just a question, and it's serious, and not asked to be a jerk, but does Braun really deserve the All-Star start? He's clearly not the player he was last year. Is everyone else in the NL so bad that Braun is one of the three best? It might be true (I don't know) but if Braun really is one of the three best that's pretty sad.

Surely better than the guys who made it

Pat Burrell is having an outstanding season yet again. Bay has rebounded from last year. Dunn is Dunn. Holliday is enjoying another Coors inspired offensive showcase. So no, there are previously really good players having really good seasons. Right now Corey Hart has a stronger claim than does Braun.

Braun will most likely make it as a reserve. The only difference is that he might get 1 AB now instead of 2. The AL voting could've been just as bad -- it took a Braun-like push from the Twins and their fans to get Mauer voted in over Jason Varitek, who's hitting .219/.301/.360 this year. Kinsler probably deserved to start ahead of Pedroia, and Jeter's not having an All-Star year, but New York fans are going to make sure that the guy never misses another All-Star game again after the "travesty" of him being left off the team a couple years ago.

Webb getting the start probably has a lot to do with Clint Hurdle managing the team and showing respect for one of the best pitchers in his division.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Archived