Brewer Fanatic

July 31 Deadline Thread

Lucroy is more of a finished product at this point than Salome, and while he's the same age and a level lower in the system, Lucroy is flying through the system. We're giving up a ton already and if it came down to it I'd rather give up Brantley than either Green or Lucroy.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really am a huge Salome and Brantley fan, but I'd much rather one of them goes than Green or Lucroy. Green is looking like the 3b in 3 years, while Lucroy would either be great (very polished) or good fodder for a trade one he's in AAA

Al, Lucroy is mashing in the toughest park in the minors. He's supposed to be sound defensively. decent backup? His major league equivalence is likely as good as some backups in the big leagues, only he's still in A ball developing

Lucroy looks to be a decent backup...if he continues to progress. I can only hope he's the PTBNL.

Can I ask why you think that? His numbers and coaches praise for him seem to suggest other-wise.

dadofandrew wrote:
Lucroy looks to be a decent backup...if he continues to progress. I can only hope he's the PTBNL.

Sometimes I wonder if you're just trying to get a rise out of people.... this is similar to endaround posting earlier this season that Salome would have washed out by now if he wasn't a catcher.

OPS at A+

Lucroy .907 which is 6 points better than his OPS at WV. I'll take the liberty of comparing against Gamel, Salome, and what we thought our everyday lineup would be coming into the year.

Gamel .850

Salome .806

Braun .784

Hart .922 (At High Desert)

Fielder Skipped A+ .924 at Beliot

Weeks Skipped A+ 1.030 at Beliot, only 63 ABs though

Hall .875 (At High Desert)

Hardy .740 (At High Desert)

Cameron .724 (At Prince William)

Kendall .832 (At Salem) obviously aided by OBP though he actually managed 7 HRs.

I see no reason to pigeon hole him as a backup right now when he's out performed everyone but Hart, Fielder, and Weeks, and Fielder/Weeks didn't have the opportunity to put up guady numbers at HD. He may very well struggle down the road, but I see nothing in his scouting reports or in his results thus far that leads me to believe he's a career backup.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Al, i have no idea who you have heard the reserve talk from....there have been several reports in the links that LuCroy is very highly regarded. For goodness sake, he is one of the best hitters as a catcher in the FSL, 13 months after being drafted. He is a better catching prospect than Salome in my mind. I really do not understand your thinking here or where you are getting this reserve information.

bullox,

I suggested that if they are going to move Gamel it would be because we need an outfielder. Hart would move to center and Gamel to RF. How do I contradict myself? I never wrote Gamel was going to be in CF. A previous post suggested that Gamel could be moved to the OF if Hart could handle CF. I stated that I don't believe the club is contemplating whether or not Hart can play CF. They would be contemplating whether or not Gamel could play RF. Sorry if that was not clear.

Everything I've read about Lucroy indicates he's a solid catching prospect, but probably a reserve.

I would love to read everything you've read about Lucroy because we've apparently both read completely different things. What are the odds of that?

Because he can hit and because he's not a butcher behind the plate, he's a de facto starting catching prospect. I'd hate to lose him, though I'd also hate to lose Taylor Green. And because we also have Salome and Lawrie, plus Palmisano, Fryer, Zarraga and some other guys, we're much more covered for a loss behind the plate than we are at 3B/2B (if you don't believe in Gamel's defense or Weeks' longterm bat).

If Lucroy, Green and Brantley are on the list, I hope they take Brantley.

LuCroy is by far to be more polished and a better hitter than Salome. In fact, I would rather have Salome in the deal over LuCroy at this stage.

I will be extremely disappointed if we dealt Bryson, LaPorta, and LuCroy to get Sabathia unless the final result is a World Series appearance.

If Lucroy, Green and Brantley are on the list, I hope they take Brantley.

That's my opinion also. But I think Indians fans see the stats at the high level and young age for Brantley and become enfatuated.

At least on this sight they did http://indians247.com/indians-talk/michael-brantley-ptbnl-list-my-choice-would-be-and-why/0/?PHPSESSID=86a067f8dbc24cacdce127bf8929eb6b

I didn't really look at any other ones.

Hopefully the Cleveland management doesn't understand the offensive stat boost that one gets from playing in Huntsville vs. playing at Brevard County.

out of the 5 top prospects (Gamel, Escobar, Salome, Errecart and Gillespie) that played at B.C. last year and are now at Huntsville all of their OPS increased by at least .080 points and Gamel's incresed by .200.

I think Green would be the toughest to lose followed by Lucroy

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Cleveland Plain Dealer:

Indians can choose one of four Brewers minor leaguers to complete CC Sabathia trade

The player who will complete the CC Sabathia trade is on a list of four Milwaukee Brewers minor leaguers who the Indians are scouting. It was previously reported the list contained only two players.

All four players are position players. Class AA outfielder Michael Brantley and Class A third baseman Taylor Green are two of the players. The identities of the other two are not known.

General Manager Mark Shapiro, who is on this trip, said the Indians would probably wait until the end of the minor-league season in August to make their choice. "There are some scenarios where we may not wait the entire time," said Shapiro.

Brantley, whose father played in the big leagues with Seattle, is hitting .325 (100-for-308) with 15 doubles, four homers and 35 RBI for Class AA Huntsville, Ala. Brantley bats and throws left-handed, and has 25 steals in 31 attempts.

He's a leadoff hitter with a .407 on-base percentage, .412 slugging percentage and an .819 OPS (on-base percentage plus slugging percentage).

Green hits left-handed and throws right-handed. He's hitting .294 (101-for-343) with 17 doubles, 11 homers and 59 RBI at Class A Brevard County in Florida. He has 49 strikeouts and 44 walks. His on-base percentage is .375, slugging percentage .440 and OPS .815.

"We've got a chance to get a guy that we'd grade as an everyday major-league player," said Shapiro.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Really, it's only my speculation at this point, but you would think it could be Jonathan Lucroy or Lorenzo Cain on the list, but until we learn more, it's just that -- speculation.

At least we rule out pitchers, and there's nothing tied to how well CC pitches, meaning the Indians would get two players, etc.

There were so many deadlines mentioned, as far at the PTBNL portion of the trade, I'm guessing that the Brewers can deal any of the players that are part of the list after a certain date, which has probably passed already. I don't think they'd enter into terms that would hamper them from making other deals to help the club.

I am guessing the four prospects are indeed Lucroy, Green, Cain, and I guess Brantley (though his inclusion seems to run counter to what Melvin had stated earlier about the top AA prospects in Huntsville. After the really cool Cain article Mass posted today, I really am not sure which of those four I would want to be included in the deal. I hope Melvin does not do too many more of these type of delayed deals, they are slightly traumatic.

If Salome is rumored to be going in the San Fran deal, there is no way LuCroy will be going anywhere one would think, no?

I would think that's correct- if Salome is traded, I can't see any way we'd give up LuCroy as well.

Really, it's only my speculation at this point, but you would think it could be Jonathan Lucroy or Lorenzo Cain on the list, but until we learn more, it's just that -- speculation.
I hope the Indians pick Lorenzo Cain.

Archived