Brewer Fanatic

Chances that Weeks is playing 2B everyday for the Brewers in September?

rickh150
The point is Weeks has an upside, Counsell doesn't

Is this a point that you think isn't clear to everyone here? This season is no longer about upside. The team should be good enough to carry Weeks for another month or so, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Weeks doesn't turn it around and Melvin goes to trade for a Grudz or a Roberts if the Orioles really fall out of it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to go on record acknowledging that I was very wrong about Rickie this season, too.
Almost everyone on this site was wrong with Weeks. How do you predict this after how he closed out last year? To be honest, the season so far has been bittersweet for me because of his struggles. Huge fan of his, but I'm starting to think it's never gonna happen. In a Brewers uniform at least.

He could put up good stats the rest of the way and wind up with a solid line though. Last year he wound up with an 807 OPS after his crappy middle of the summer, so it's safe to say we still do have some hope.

If the struggles continue through July, how about a month long trip to AAA during August. Call him up in September, not a day earlier barring injury, and if he's back even close to his career norms, it would be like adding a Brian Roberts type player.

I was totally wrong about Rickie. I really thought this year would be the breakout year, but cest la vie.

I really think this should be Rickie's last chance, but he deserves the full season regardless of the circumstances because his athleticism is so immense. If he can't manage an OBP of .350 to .370, I think the Crew should shift Hardy to 2B and put Escobar at SS.

I really don't understand his problem. His bat is so fast it's ridiculous. He walks enough, so his eye has to be pretty good. He's a student of the game, and if the reports are correct he works as hard as anyone.

Agree 100%. The potential upside has been so great that you have to give him the chance. But he's actually regressed this year, it seems like.

It's possible to blossom after 1,400 big-league AB's and basically four years in the bigs, especially given the injury problems he's had. But at least point I think the Brewers would be lucky to have him get to average.

I think the Brewers are giving Weeks so many chances because of how Brandon Phillips ended up working out:

Year Ag Tm Lg G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG *OPS+ TB SH SF IBB HBP GDP

+--------------+---+----+----+----+---+--+---+----+---+--+---+---+-----+-----+-----+----+----+---+---+---+---+---+

2002 21 CLE AL 11 31 5 8 3 1 0 4 0 0 3 6 .258 .343 .419 105 13 1 0 0 1 0

2003 22 CLE AL 112 370 36 77 18 1 6 33 4 5 14 77 .208 .242 .311 48 115 5 1 0 3 12

2004 23 CLE AL 6 22 1 4 2 0 0 1 0 2 2 5 .182 .250 .273 40 6 0 0 0 0 1

2005 24 CLE AL 6 9 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 .000 .000 .000 -100 0 0 0 0 0 0

2006 25 CIN NL 149 536 65 148 28 1 17 75 25 2 35 88 .276 .324 .427 88 229 4 6 3 6 19

2007 26 CIN NL 158 650 107 187 26 6 30 94 32 8 33 109 .288 .331 .485 105 315 2 5 4 12 26 MVP-22

2008 27 CIN NL 87 346 51 101 18 5 14 56 18 4 24 58 .292 .337 .494 113 171 0 5 2 2 11

The point is Weeks has an upside, Counsell doesn't

Weeks has an option left...it's just about time to use it...let the platoons take over (the splits on Hall/Dillon/Branyan/and even CC is a little better...)

Hope for the best for Weeks on the farm, it worked last year, don't give him away, but don't let his .198 BA vs Righties kill us another day.

I think the Brewers are giving Weeks so many chances because of how Brandon Phillips ended up working out:

Yes and you can add Chase Utley's name to that list too...he didn't kill initially...it took some time...but the BREWERS time is now...and if RWeeks isn't ready then someone else needs to be because CHI and STL are going to be ready...

in it to win it....

JJ's hot streak and the CC trade fresh on mind, I've got one hand on the "Weeks has to go" bandwagon. Now's the time for this team, and JJ is really solidifying his spot as the middle infielder to keep.

2008 - SS Hardy, 2B Roberts the rest of the year

2009 - SS Hardy, 2B Roberts

2010 - SS Esocbar, 2B Hardy, or trade Hardy and have a new 2B in place

We can give Escobar a year in AAA to hone his bat.

Or Hardy could play 3B in the future, now that Green appears to be gone. Gamel has been playing there, but could move to 1B if Prince leaves, or OF. With HArdy's arm and limited range, 3b may be a better long term spot for him regardless.

The problem with Hardy moving to 2B is his incredibly strong arm... it would be a complete waste at 2B. I know Escobar is a defensive phenom, but is his arm as good as Hardy's? Because at 2B you need to have just as good of defense as SS, but you'd want the better arm at SS.

Weeks has a demonstrated ability to get on base, and for him to even approach his career OBP, he would have to get on base at a ridiculous rate (.400 or so). While I don't see that happening, I don't believe he will finish the year with a .320 OBP either. I think he could be in for a pretty decent second half. With no great options in the leadoff spot (Hart is way to valuable in that 5 hole), I think you have to stick with him for quite a while yet and hope for the best.

• 3 weeks later...
I thought I heard somewhere that Rickie has the on of if not the worst BA in the NL on fastballs. If someone can verify that that would be great. If that is even remotely true how is that even possible given Rickie's incredible bat speed. Is he just always looking offspeed or what?

Archived