Brewer Fanatic

Dodgers looking for a shortstop

The LA Times says the following:
General Manager Ned Colletti made it no secret that landing a shortstop would be his "primary" mission in the three-plus weeks leading to the trade deadline -- and that to do so he could break up the Dodgers' previously untouchable core of young players. "We're more open-minded to who we may have to move than we've been in the past," he said.
The Dodgers are alleged to be involved in Sabathia negotiations as well, but if Coletti is to be believed this is their top priority. Nomar played shortstop but that can't last, suggesting that Coletti might be honest here. One name that's come up is Jack Wilson. (If the Pirates get two prospects for Jack Wilson, I just don't know what to say.) I don't know what Coletti is thinking, but if I were him I'd be checking in with Milwaukee about Hall...and if they're really opening up the vaults for their core players, you might even talk about a Hardy deal. (I can't imagine Escobar would be on their radar, as they've had trouble with their own SS prospect Hu adjusting to big league pitching.) The Dodgers are now very close to the DBacks but with a huge hole in the infield, so they seem to be, as Melvin likes to say, motivated to make a deal.

Community Moderator
I'd love a deal with LA, since they have a lot of arms, which the Brewers certainly need. And if they've decided they're going to run with DeWitt at 3rd, I'd be happy to take Andy LeRoche off their hands as well.

The Dodgers are not in a good position. They need a shortstop, and they want another pitcher, but many of their prospects have dropped in value this season, so they probably can't make two big deals at this point.

LaRoche and Hu have done nothing with their big league opportunities, and DeWitt has been just another guy.

Splitter: After you reading that Olney post from the CC thread, I'm less excited about LaRoche and DeWitt.

Knowing that LAD is also looking for pitching help, it seems this might not be the best fit for us to add an arm.

That said, how about a Hall + for Lowe + with us giving a bit more, maybe throwing in a Welch or Wright for an A ball pitcher. Or Brad Nelson to get a bit more back from them.

Derek Lowe rhp

4 years/$36M (2005-08)

signed as a free agent 1/05 05:$7.5M, 06:$9M, 07:$9.5M, 08:$10M

4 years/$12M (2000-03), plus $4.5M 2004 club option

$0.5M signing bonus

00:$0.5M, 01:$2M, 02:$3M, 03:$3.5M, 04:$5M club option ($0.5M buyout) (picked up 11/03)

$50,000 All Star award bonus

$0.15M for Rolaids award, $0.1M for 2nd in Rolaids rankings, $50,000 for 3rd

agent: Scott Boras

ML service: 10.100

Bill Hall 3b

4 years/$24M (2007-10), plus 2011 club option

re-signed 2/07 (avoided arbitration, $4.125M-$3M)

$0.5M signing bonus

07:$3M, 08:$4.8M, 09:$6.8M, 10:$8.4M, 11:$9.25M club option ($0.5M buyout)

1 year/$0.418M (2006), re-signed 3/06

1 year/$0.344M (2005), re-signed 2/05

1 year/$0.31M (2004), re-signed 3 /04

agent: Terry Bross

ML service: 4.099

While this does have LAD giving up a proven arm, they could recall Kershaw, whom they just returned to AA. He's be fine, if not spectacular, in his MLB stint.

I'd love to find a way to get them to overvalue an "all-star" like Hardy into landing Billingsley or Kershaw, but 1) I don't see Coletti being that stupid, and 2) I don't think DM is in a mode to roll the dice on Escobar and Billingsley/Kershaw getting us into the postseason this year--no matter how much this helps over the next three years. Obviously #1 is the bigger hurdle, by far.

Corbeau, this is a good idea, but it again illustrates the Dodgers' predicament.

They really can't afford to deal Lowe right now, they're trying to add a veteran arm, and also a shortstop.

They may very well offer some minor league pitching to get a shortstop right now, in fact they'd probably have to, but they aren't deep enough in LA right now to deal anyone who is proven.

I would love to somehow get LaRoche or DeWitt as our future 3B since Gamel might not stick there and Green could be gone. Getting one of those two would solve the problem we will have in the future. However, i just dont think we have what it takes to get them since we wont and should not trade Hardy

The Dodgers are pursuing Jack Wilson.

Brewers fans, Jack Wilson may prevent the Dodgers from going all-out for Sabathia. It's a broken record, but it's true - the Dodgers are somewhat limited in what they can offer right now, the big league club is flawed, and a lot of their top minor leaguers have not stepped up when they got a shot in LA.

The Indians and the Pirates want some of the same guys, so for the moment, the Dodgers are left with a "one or the other" scenario, while they look at other infielders, etc.

When you hear very general reporting about who the Dodgers might offer, if you hear the name "Chin-Lung Hu", keep in mind, he was supposed to be the Dodgers' next shortstop - but he failed. If he hadn't, LA wouldn't be shopping for infield help in the first place.

Hardy for Billingsley is asking too much, isn't it? We'd need to do Hardy + something for Billingsley??

Or....how about Hardy for Broxton + something??? There's our 8th inning guy for this year and closer for the next few years.

We'd need to do Hardy + something for Billingsley??
Just my thinking...

But if LaPorta and Green are traded for CC Sabathia, that could very well set off a chain reaction that makes JJ Hardy a part of the Brewer's long term plans.

Without Green to play 2B or 3B, Hardy moves over to 3B and Escobar takes SS. Gamel can then play OF filling in for LaPorta.

We're going to lose a lot of production offensively if we move JJ to third. A ~.750 OPS from our third baseman isn't exactly going to cut it.

I am not saying he will keep it up but JJ is 3rd in the MLB for SS in OPS and would be 10th among 3B.

I am not saying he will keep it up but JJ is 3rd in the MLB for SS in OPS and would be 10th among 3B.

JJ gets on these hot streaks and can put up some great numbers, but he can't seem to sustain them. Even last year when he hit 26 HR's he still ended the year with around a .775 OPS. I'm not saying he'd be terrible, but I'd like to keep him at short where he has much more value if at all possible.

endaround always goes to the salary card with this, but I think it's much more simple than that, JJ doesn't hit well enough to play 3B. If Escobar is the better shortstop, JJ gets moved to 2B or traded. If he whines so what, let him walk after Arby. He's one of my boys, but his value can certainly be replaced.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Since the Dodgers are competing with Milwaukee for Sabathia, I really doubt a deal for Hall will happen at this point.

Who knows, if the Brewers get CC, and LA can't get Wilson from Pittsburgh - maybe then.

Toronto and Baltimore both want shortstops too, and it seems as though Cleveland has interest in one, if teams still value Hall as a SS, I'm sure there will be opportunities.

Hardy for Billingsley is asking too much, isn't it? We'd need to do Hardy + something for Billingsley??

Or....how about Hardy for Broxton + something??? There's our 8th inning guy for this year and closer for the next few years.

I would be DOWN with Hardy for Billingsley. I don't think they would do it, but maybe cause Hardy is scorching right now.

Billingsly has a ton of upside and is a strikeout pitcher right now. I say do it.

Hall is still an important, if not vital, part of the Brewers. He adds depth at many spots, and hits LHP's very well.

As for the Dodgers, the idea of a team contending for a playoff spot trading a veteran SP like Lowe is unheard of. Weakening one spot to improve another is not what a team a couple games out of contention wants to do. also, Hall has not played SS since '06 and has been error prone at 3B...and has not hit very well. That's a mighty tough sell to LA fans.

Archived