Brewer Fanatic

Villanueva's future

letsgored
What is the opinion of the board regarding Carlos's future? Starter or middle reliever? Unless the injury bug hits this year, I doubt we silly Villy go back into the rotation, especially with Sabathia or another starter coming aboard. However, what about next year and beyond? Does Carlos have good enough stuff to consistently go through the lineup 3-4 times? Or is he better suited to the middle relief role he is filling quite nicely right now, where he only sees hitters once? I think I still have hopes of him being a quality #3 or #4 starter, but maybe he's destined to be a valuable bullpen piece for his stay in MKE. Thoughts?

I still think Carlos can be a very good starter. However, this year as a starter he got Jimmy Haynes-syndrome and nibbled. As a reliever he usually is on the attack, and successful because of it

As a reliever this year, he's really kept the walks in check (5 in 23 innings). If he can keep that up for the rest of the year, I would support him being moved back to the rotation next year. If the walks come back, he may be better suited as a reliever because he K's a lot more guys as a reliever, which makes the walks hurt less.

I think he is great in his 2 inning middle reliever role. I like him pitching in closer games, and I like him sucking up the innings that usually end up going to lesser pitchers in higher leverage situations.

Personally, if he's having great success in one role, and not as well in another, keep him there.

The Red Sox havent move Papelbon (sp) from their closer role, but he was once thought of as a SP.

You knew me as Myday2001.

There was always something that seemed a little bit fluky about Carlos' awesome run at the end of the year. That said I know he's way better than he was starting the beginning of this year. He could potentially eek out a Suppan like career. Which is rather valuable, but I like him in his current role. Ned could use him more aggressively, but right now he and Torres and their ability to go multiple innings are what is really holding the pen together. He's not quite the relief ace level, but is still really excelling in the role.

As of right now, next year's rotation is Yo, Parra, Suppan, McClung & Bush. In the 'pen, we've only got Torres, Riske and Stetter, with Dillard and Pena at AAA. I fully expect Melvin to do his best to make a trade this offseason to pick up a good starting pitcher, and a lot can happen between now and next season. That said, while I feel that Carlos could become a decent starting pitcher, it looks like he'll probably help the team best from the 'pen next year.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

It would be awesome if Carlos could stick as a starter, but he just hasn't been able to yet. I'd just love to see him put it together in the rotation, but like most have said, if he's having success in his current role, why move him now? Unless you have someone truly special as a relief pitcher, I don't like investing a lot of money in the bullpen because they roll over so frequently that a decent reliever can be pulled off the scrap heap, even if it is for only a season, and Melvin has had pretty good luck at finding some decent arms. That being said, if he doesn't stick in the rotation, I wouldn't be opposed to offering him in a deal for help in other areas down the line.

I don't know, I like the guy a lot and he's had a lot of success in his current role, but I think he could bring a lot of value in return sometime in the next couple of seasons.

I've alwayd liked Villy as a starter and I spent all last year posting he should be in the rotation, but for whatever reason he nibbled way too much this year. Parra nibbles too much as well, but somehow he's been getting better results, probably because his stuff all around better. I've come to accept that Villy is probably a bullpen arm, so I'm looking elsewhere for starting pitching.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

probably because his stuff all around better.

That's exactly right. If Parra nibbles with two on and nobody out he can throw a 95 mph heater either right past a guy or make him late on it and do nothing with it. If Villanueva nibbles with two on and nobody out he comes back over the plate with an 89 mph heater that's really hittable.

I love his moxie; he is the perfect middle reliever and spot starter. CV is good at "pitching to contact" but does not have good enough stuff to consistently get the ball by the batter, especially the second and third time through the order. But when CV is protecting a lead, opposing batters are usually more aggressive and swing at CV's nibbly, off-speed stuff. Also, as a releiver, it is easier to quick hook him if he's not effective or gets into trouble. As a starter, if he gets into trouble that second or third time through the order, Hardhead Ned will leave him in to get outta the inning (usually the fifth or sixth inning), which, more often than not, leads to disaster.

Community Moderator

He's a great middle reliever and has been valuable this year in close games where the starter left early. I would like to keep him there.

Long term I could see him as a #5 starter, but I don't see any reason to move him.

I don't think he has much of a future beyond being a spectacularly good long reliever. I can see him racking up 10 three-inning saves of year if Yost or subsequent managers use him right.

I can't see him as a starter because his pitches simply aren't good enough. They're adequate, and he's got a great head. But his stuff isn't even as good as Bush's.

Now this isn't a bad thing. The Brewers need to see the importance of developing all kinds of relievers, so they don't have to have the yearly merry-go-round.

I just love to see this guy come into a game when the Brewers are winning 5-1, but the starter has throw a 100 pitches thru six innings. He could be a real bullpen savers. Too many managers burn 3, even 4 relievers in a situation like that.

Archived