Brewer Fanatic

The Cubs and picking up free agents during the season...

BREWCREW5

Why do the sCrUBS constantly have luck when it comes to picking up some other teams trash during the season?

Last year it was Jason Kendall. He was horrible in Oakland and played pretty well (offensively) in Chicago. He hit .270 and had a .361 OBP.

This year it is Jim Edmonds. He was plain terrible in San Diego and in 36 games with Chicago is hitting .294 and has 8 home runs in 36 games for Chicago including a .391 OBP.

It always seems to work out.

Kendall actually hit below his career averages across the board in Chicago last year, and his adjusted OPS was 84 -- below average. It seemed comparatively good because he had played a dismal 80 games in Oakland.

Kendall was traded to the Cubs by Oakland. Most Cub fans were not too happy with him as teams ran at will on him.

As for Edmonds, those lazy fly balls to left field are HR only in Wrigley. He's pretty useless anywhere else.

And what would you say about players like Branyan and Kapler? True, we had them at the beginning of the year but no one else wanted them at the time. Same thing in my opinion. Edmonds was awful in San Diego, there is no way even looking back now that i would want him on this team. Trust me, people in San Diego are much more angry over the fact that Cameron was let go and replaced with Edmonds than with getting rid of Edmonds and seeing him now be semi-productive in Chicago.

It helps when you're willing to pick up salary. Edmonds has had a very good career, so it was likely he'd still have some game left in him. The Cubs are willing to pick up the salary, and if it doesn't work out... who cares?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The Brewers could pick up a free agent who no one wants and who would probably help them more than a certain rotund pitcher would....

will they (or anyone) be bold enough to do it though?

It helps when you're willing to pick up salary. Edmonds has had a very good career, so it was likely he'd still have some game left in him.
I just can't agree with that last part. It was a borderline miracle that he still had some game left in him. Last 4 single season OPS+ totals for Edmonds, at the time the Cubs signed him:

137, 110, 88, then 37 in SD.

It wouldn't have been a miracle if Edmonds had rebounded to put up another 88 OPS+ or so, just lucky. But the 151 OPS+ he has actually put up is like 2 or 3 orders of magnitude more than they should've reasonably expected.

Two successful pickups = "it always seems to work out"? (and I think we'd better not go crowning Edmonds as a success yet... he started hot, that's all we know)

Branyan, McClung... it always seems to work out for the Brewers! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

(and I think we'd better not go crowning Edmonds as a success yet... he started hot, that's all we know)

This is absolutely true. However, based on how terrible an idea it was, the only outcome about which I wouldn't feel compelled to complain would have been unmitigated disaster from day one, resulting in a deep, persistent embarrassment for the entire organization, as well as firmly entrenched ill-will with Pie, who is still a legitimate prospect and probably an important element of the best-case scenario for the team's future.

None of that has come to pass so far, hence, I complain.

The Brewers could pick up a free agent who no one wants and who would probably help them more than a certain rotund pitcher would....

will they (or anyone) be bold enough to do it though?

But the Yankees already signed Sidney Ponson!

Archived