Brewer Fanatic

Stupid computer question

paul253

I have recently been getting this error every time my computer starts up that says "could not locate valid definitions file. Please go to the program options page and click update definitions to download a definitions file"

Does anyone know either what this means, or where the program options page is?

This sounds like something that's coming from either your virus protection application or an anti-spyware application. Does the little window with the error message tell you which program is causing the issue? If so, try going to that program and running an update. Given the message, the update mechanism might be located in that particular program's Options panel.

If I were unable to spot which program was causing the problem, I think I'd go into both the spyware and anti-virus stuff and run manual updates. Even if there's no reported problem, it's still a good thing to do once in a while as part of your general maintenance routine.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

It is coming from my anti spyware, webroot spy sweeper. I tried running an update but that same message pops up when i search for updates. Then when i close the messaage it says restart program, and when i click on restart now the error message pops up again. Also, nothing happens when i try running a full sweep.

I'd try perusing this link:

Webroot spysweeper won't sweep

Then I'd start with the easier suggestions, such as this one:

Start in Safe mode (F8 at boot) Run spysweeper (It should run the safe mode version). Upon restart all should be fine.
Another simple suggestion is to run Norton Anti-Virus' Live Update if you happen to be using that program.

If reasonable suggestions at the above link don't work, I guess I'd try digging through the customer support stuff at Webroot.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived