Brewer Fanatic

Trade deadline success stories?

danzig6767

With it sure looking like Melvin will be a buyer before the trade deadline and very high end prospects names of ours being thrown out there in rumors, i was wondering if anyone here who didn't fry away their memory with to many bong hits in their youth can remember the success stories of teams trading quality prospects for a vet before the deadline?

If i remember correctly, i think David Cone got traded to Toronto and really helped them the year the Blue Jays won it all. The Randy Johnson to Houston trade helped them in 1998. I was trying to think of others and assume there are, but i'm drawing a complete blank.

I'm not trying to start a thread about we sure trade so and so for this guy, but more a thread for those with a memory about how often trade deadline deals helped bring on the results the trading team hoped for. Are the failure rates on these July trades generally much higher than success stories? Any that were debacles that you can remember?

Doyle Alexander HAS to be way up there. Especially since Atlanta landed some prospect named John Smoltz.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Many of the trades analyzed in the following links qualify as trade deadline deals:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/mid-season-blockbusters-july-part-one-1896-1996/

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/mid-season-blockbusters-july-part-two-1997-2006/

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/mid-season-blockbusters-august/

The Sutton and Smoltz deals were both done in August, as was Bagwell-for-Larry Andersen.

Houston picking up Randy Johnson for a stretch run qualifies as a great deadline pickup, even though it cost them Freddy Garcia and Carlos Guillen. Trading Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano at the deadline was of course a colossal goof, but perhaps no worse than Seattle swapping Jason Varitek for Heathcliff Slocumb.

Doyle Alexander HAS to be way up there. Especially since Atlanta landed some prospect named John Smoltz.

Beat me to it.

As painful as losing Smoltz was... this has to go down as one of the best deadline trades.

Alexander started 11 games for the Tigers and they went 11-0, (Alexander 9-0), the Tigers had 5 shutouts in that stretch, and were able to keep in front of the BJs and win 98 games. The flip side to this story is Alexander got hit hard by the Twins in the ALCS and the Twins went to the WS.

Beat me to it.

As painful as losing Smoltz was... this has to go down as one of the best deadline trades.

Alexander started 11 games for the Tigers and they went 11-0, (Alexander 9-0), the Tigers had 5 shutouts in that stretch, and were able to keep in front of the BJs and win 98 games. The flip side to this story is Alexander got hit hard by the Twins in the ALCS and the Twins went to the WS.

Very true... but better a playoff goat than to not be in the playoffs at all...

Sutcliffe was traded to the Cubs in June of 1984 for Joe Carter. He went 16-1 with a 2.69 ERA for the Cubs and won the Cy Young award, leading them to the playoffs. Anyone who was around at the time remembers how unbelieveable he was that summer. That Joe Carter guy ended up doing ok for himself as well....

Archived