Brewer Fanatic

Mota tipping his pitches?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow. Tom H is generally a shrill for the Crew FO. But he's actually pretty tough on the crew this time.

Shill. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

He certainly doesn't hide his feelings. I guess as long as they really only give him garbage time I have no problem with that, someone's gotta pitch those innings anyway, but that doesn't explain why he was in a run game yesterday.

I guess as long as they really only give him garbage time I have no problem with that, someone's gotta pitch those innings anyway, but that doesn't explain why he was in a run game yesterday.

Yeah, unfortunately the Brewers don't seem to be in too many games that have garbage innings (heck, if anything our garbage innings often seem to open the door for the other guys to get back in the game!) and given his track record I can't imagine Ned not putting Mota in the game in tight situations.

I'd be OK with the team letting Mota correct his mechanics issues in games if it was, say, September 2004. In a pennant chase I'm not as happy with it.

but that doesn't explain why he was in a run game yesterday.

When I heard Mota coming into the game on my XM Radio, I immediately turned it off, shut the curtains, drank a bottle of fortified wine, went into a fetal position, and cried all night. I didn't check the final score until just now.

Basically, what we've learned here is precisely why the Mets fans describe Mota as a 'boo magnet'.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4628/picture2wz1.png

So it's gone from tipping pitches to a problem with his delivery? How many more reasons are there to throw out until they get to the correct one that points directly to why he gives up a ton of runs? IMO, the direct reason why he gives up tons of runs is because he is BAD.

I agree wholeheartedly with Haudricort's assessment - there's no reason for the GM to say that they're going for it this year as long as Mota's still on this roster. With the current state of Gagne and Riske fresh off DL stints, Yost is pretty hamstrung in making bullpen moves: apparently he needs to be leery of using two of his key relievers on consecutive days, he has a LOOGY and another lefty who can't find the strike zone some days, Torres can't throw every single day if they want him to stay effective and Villy is their supposed long man. As the bullpen's currently constructed, Mota's roster spot almost HAS to pitch meaningful relief innings right now, which is terrible news.

Can Mota be sent down ala Turnbow? What are the waivers issues he would have to get through? Anybody know?

I can see this reclamation project going the way Turnbow's did...poor mechanics, exacerbated by fragile psyche...mix in the pressure from a team in the pennant chase and some serious booing from the home fans = very limited chance of success.

The whole team has looked tight since the CC trade...but Mota takes it to a whole other level.

It's hard to give up on a guy that throws 96 mph and had a good slider and has proven he can be successful in the Major Leagues. I don't blame Melvin/Yost.

I agree to a point, but the guy's lowest season ERA since 2005 is 4.67. I know ERA isn't the best way to measure a reliever, but it does say something. Do Yost and Maddux really believe they can correct something that 3 other teams failed to do? And he has been horrible for almost 2 months now. Why did they wait this long to take the time to correct it? This just really boggles my mind.

I just don't know when they are going to pitch him. The Brewers play so many close games, I would really only feel comfortable (or as comfortable as I'd get) bringing him in with a 5+ run deficit. That means over the last month, we've had 5 games where we've lost by 5 or more runs... and 4 of them the pen was a big contributer to tacking on the the deficit late. So I can say, there has only been 1 game in the last month where we've been able to say "hey, let's punt and bring Mota in to work on things."

I guess as long as they really only give him garbage time I have no problem with that, someone's gotta pitch those innings anyway, but that doesn't explain why he was in a run game yesterday.

Yeah, unfortunately Yost has no clue how to have Mota on the roster & NOT get him into close situations. If someone can convince Yost that Mota is now his 'Lead/Deficit of 5 runs or more' guy, then we're all set!

As an aside, I actually think Guillermo would provide good value to the team in that role. 'He can pitch multiple innings & go on back-to-back days', huh? Put that into practice.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Can Mota be sent down ala Turnbow? What are the waivers issues he would have to get through? Anybody know?

Mota can not be sent down in the same manner as Turnbow.

Mota has 5+ years of service

Turnbow has 3-5 years.

Turnbow could have refused the assignment to Nash, but he would have forfeited his salary.

Mota on the other hand can refuse his assignment, and still get his cash. Mota has no reason to accept the assignment. If he does accept the assignment he would have to pass through waivers, but I dont think it would get to that point.

Pretty much releasing Mota is Doug's only option, besides letting him stink in our BP, or hoping he contracts "Dessensitis" and takes a few weeks on the DL.

Archived