Brewer Fanatic

Mota tipping his pitches?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If DFA'd, will anyone claim him though? If not, he'll be sitting in AAA wasting millions (although that's still better than him blowing games in the bigs), correct?

If Mota is DFA'd, something like this will transpire:

DM: Hey Mota, we need to send you to Nashville to make room for a non-sucky pitcher in our bull-pen.

GM: golpee la arena

DM: eh?

GM: Pound sand, Doug.

DM: And that

GM: Oh, and keep sending me my $3.2M salary, I have 7+ years of service time

DM: And that

GM: Of course if I get claimed by another team, they will pay me a pro-rated portion of the MLB minimum salary, you will be on the hook for the rest.

DM: Where'd you get that blue glove.?

GM: Spencer's in the mall

DM: And That

GM: Why do you keep saying that?

DM: It's Canadian for "Yost sucks".

GM: And That indeed.

Fin

Tom H had this response to several emailers who thought Ned would stick with Mota:

"I don't think Ned has any intention of using Mota again. If you saw him squirm after the game when asked about him, you'd agree."

Good.

Strange move from Tom H., suggesting a roster move based on nothing other than what his gut was telling him during the post-game presser. Maybe he's feeling all full of beans after "breaking" the Sabathia trade (he didn't break it, really, but he was probably the first reputable MSM guy to say that it was finalized and definitely going down), and has decided he can become Milwaukee's version of Jim Plaschke, the L.A. Times guy that ran DePodesta out of town and has become essentially a de facto co-GM to the new regime.

Now the Brewers almost have to get rid of Mota. Tom H. said it was going to happen. All the fans want it to happen (fans have notoriously short fuses for lousy performance). Even if they want to keep him, or feel compelled to keep him to avoid the scenario outlined by FtJ above, they're not in a great position to do so.

I'm opposed in principle to this manner of malarkey, but I'll be glad enough to see Mota gone to look the other way this once.

Well, WIBA radio in Madison managed to snap me out of my Mota funk with their sports guy this morning. During one sports break he played a tornado or air raid siren during Bob's replayed calls of Mota action. During the next one he played "Yakety Sax", which you'd recognize readily if you've ever seen the Benny Hill show.

I'm every bit as ready for his demotion, still, but at least I was able to laugh this morning.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I still think the Brewers should have spiked his Gatorade with performance enhancers and let him go ape on the mound for a while. Then when he fails the drug test and gets suspended no one would care, because he sucks without the enhancers anyway. Of course we would all need to be in on it for it to work the way I envision it.

I doubt Mota is tipping pitches. His problem is something more along the line of throwing 96MPH fastballs thigh-high right down the middle of the plate. With a pitch in that location, I don't care who you are or how fast it is going. Any yahoo could get out there and hit that pitch hard (SEE: Joe Koshansky).

Regarding a potential Mota replacement, from the links that were posted above, I must agree with Haudricourt that I think I would like to give Luis Pena a shot. A nice power arm would be nice to replace Mota. Maybe we can find our version of the lockdown "Marmol" from earlier in the season before Pinella burned out his arm pitching EVERY game that needed a fire put out.

Mota is very frustrating. He really has great stuff, but he seems to be a head case. He had bad luck in AZ with two little seeing eye grounders, yet walks the guy in between. Last night he sails at the beginning, then gets a little adversity (and certainly no help from the crappy defense) and proceeds to launch some meat balls down the middle of the plate.

Maybe some of the magic water in Nashville could help him get his head and mechanics in order...but he has such a fragile mindset, I'm not sure you ever get enough confidence to throw him out there in the middle of the pennant chase. The pressure is only going to increase as the season goes on.

Reluctantly, I would say it's time to DFA.

Turnbow has an ERA of 8.15 and a WHIP of 3.00. Those were greatly inflated by a couple of horrific outings when he first went down, but he's of no use to us.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I must agree with Haudricourt that I think I would like to give Luis Pena a shot.

If Pena can't do better than Mota, my name is Sally Struthers.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/6/6b/311_sallys.jpeg

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived