Brewer Fanatic

Mota tipping his pitches?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the thing here is they watched video on Wednesday morning. Then they put him in again in a safe situation. But they pull him too late-ish, in my opinion. Should have pulled him after the first guy reached. Definitely after the 2nd.

I publicly declared to all D-Back fans sitting in the bleachers near us that this game was "far from over" as Mota warmed up in the ninth. I got some rolling eyes looks from the fans that remained. After the 3-run double, many of them happily but sincerely told me, "I'm sorry that we doubted you."

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Mota gave up two ground balls and a walk, with just a little luck it could have easily been 2 outs with one on at that point.

Mota used up his luck on the 1st of July -- (Rivera DP). He still walked a batter and was pitching behind in the count yesterday.

I think its clear Yost doesn't trust him, but was hoping Mota could work through his problems with a safe lead.

Working out his problems? His ERA over the last four years and 200+ innings is nearly 5.00! Failed experiment. The Maddux mojo has not worked for Mota. He is a mop up guy; not a reliable setup man. Even Dusty Baker could figure this one out. This proves again that Ned's primary weakness is blindly maintaining failed strategies. Dougie really needs to do something! Get a reliever or bring in a manager that can better use spare parts.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Get rid of this guy. It's the same old routine for Mota. His BABIP proved he was getting lucky early on, the recent performance is more "norm" for Mota than the first two months of the season. He's gotta go.

Why are the Brewers so hesitant to bring up Pena? Has he offended someone in the front office?

Heck, bring Dillard back. Bring DiFelice back. Or give Erasmo Ramirez a chance at the bigs. Any of these guys would be a better option than Mota right now. There are several options. We can't sit on our hands and assume he's "tipping pitches". Maybe he just isn't a good pitcher. Let's stop ignoring history and look at the facts, Doug/Ned/Mike.

Yeah, a double...off Shouse not Mota.

Mota gave up two ground balls and a walk, with just a little luck it could have easily been 2 outs with one on at that point.

yeah, I know that. I was just stating that the fans understood that I had no confidence in the bullpen no matter what the lead these days. Unless Torres starts an inning.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

yeah he is tipping his pitches...i saw it too on the video...every time he reaches in his glove and pulls out the ball and throws it to the catcher, the hitter knows he is getting some fresh easy to slap around the park.

By tipping the pitch, do you mean that the batter can see the pitchers grip, and then knows what pitch is coming? Can hitters really see the grip? I am not saying that I dont believe it is possible, just very suprising if true.

no, it usually means that something he's doing during his wind-up is telling hitters what kind of pitch is coming. For example, some guys noticeably slow down their delivery when they throw a changeup, which makes it less effective for them because the hitter can see it coming.

Right. Another example: in a game I saw this past week on TV (can't remember teams or anything), the announcer said that the CF figured out that his pitcher spread his glove wider when he threw a splitter because he needed more room for the grip. The batters could thus tell when the splitter was coming.

...no confidence in the bullpen no matter what the lead these days. Unless Torres starts an inning.

Yes, they have had an amazing ability to give up runs late. Brewers are in the middle of the pack for total runs given up, but #2 in MLB and #1 in the NL for runs given up in the 7th and later innings.

I've officially had enough of this bum. A playoff contender can not have a gas can like him pitching crucial innings. He's already cost us potentially 3 wins this year. Those are huge.

I've even used my masterful paint skills to create a new avatar to commemorate my hatred of this guy.

"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Mota makes me wish we still had johnny estrada....well actually i wish we had neither. Still don't get why Ned feels the need to bring him in time after time in close games. The guy is trash, let him loose.

Mota tips almost every pitch. I've been noticing this pattern all season, the problem is that he's going into the windup and throwing the ball. Based on history, advanced scouting, and video analysis, hitters have learned that this movement clearly indicates "this pitch is gonna suck".

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/07/09/that-should-be-it-for-mota.aspx

Tom H seems to think that is it for him based on Ned's post game comments. I would be absolutely thrilled if that's the case. I like his suggestion for his replacement as well.

"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

If DFA'd, will anyone claim him though? If not, he'll be sitting in AAA wasting millions (although that's still better than him blowing games in the bigs), correct?

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Archived