Brewer Fanatic

Eric Fryer

What do you guys think of him? I would like some opinions on this guys since I dont know much about him. Looks like he plays Catcher and played LF last night. Now he is hitting the ball very well right now and didnt do much last year. What Im looking for is what are the projections on him and the Teams view on him.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

The Brewers have to be stunned at Fryer's line -- .337 / .397 / .548 (.945 OPS).

We read quotes in May's Link Reports that they were going to ride Fryer's hot early-season bat for a while, well it hasn't cooled off (from .769 OPS in May to .988 in June, remember he didn't even get sent to Charleston from extended spring until May).

He's only caught in five games, I believe, so for now, he's more of a corner outfielder. Would he maintain this pace if he were behind the plate?

Regardless, here's colbyjack's 2007 scouting report from draft day (10th round out of THE Ohio State, Fryer will be 23 in August):

Fryer is a very good overall athlete that could play any position on the field, but excels behind the plate with good lateral quickness, soft hands, a strong arm, and a heady approach to the game that makes him a natural leader calling games and handling a pitching staff.

As good as his athleticism and versatility is, his bat is in question. He has the tools to succeed, with a solid approach, decent power potential and good bat speed, but so far he has not produced as much as scouts would like to see. If he finds his stroke at the pro level he could be a steal.

Fryer posted a .612 OPS in 139 Helena AB's in 2007.

The Brewers have to be stunned at Fryer's line -- .337 / .397 / .548 (.945 OPS).

We read quotes in May's Link Reports that they were going to ride Fryer's hot early-season bat for a while, well it hasn't cooled off (from .769 OPS in May to .988 in June, remember he didn't even get sent to Charleston from extended spring until May).

He's only caught in five games, I believe, so for now, he's more of a corner outfielder. Would he maintain this pace if he were behind the plate?

Regardless, here's colbyjack's 2007 scouting report from draft day (10th round out of THE Ohio State, Fryer will be 23 in August):

Fryer is a very good overall athlete that could play any position on the field, but excels behind the plate with good lateral quickness, soft hands, a strong arm, and a heady approach to the game that makes him a natural leader calling games and handling a pitching staff.

As good as his athleticism and versatility is, his bat is in question. He has the tools to succeed, with a solid approach, decent power potential and good bat speed, but so far he has not produced as much as scouts would like to see. If he finds his stroke at the pro level he could be a steal.

Fryer posted a .612 OPS in 139 Helena AB's in 2007.

Thanks for the Scouting Report. Yeah the Brewers just have to be stunned. Lets hope he continues this and maybe plays at 3B? Just thinking outloud now. But yeah I was just wondering how he can go from less than thrilling to wow look at this guy in WV, he is hitting awesome.

Here's the BA blurb on Fryer prior to the 2007 draft.

Eric Fryer is one of the most athletic catchers in college baseball, a 6-foot-2, 215-pounder with average speed and arm strength to go with solid gap power. He also has the leadership skills teams want in a catcher. The biggest question with Fryer is his bat. He has a short swing, but he also employs a toe tap and needs a better trigger for his load. A club that believes he can make the necessary adjustments could pop him as early as the fifth round.

From what is seems to me, the Brewers KNOW Fryer can catch. Therefore they are letting the toolsy/raw prospects do the catching while letting Fryer play every day. In reality, his offense is what needs the work, so having him catch 4 days a week then having him take a few days off would take roughly 8 at bats from him per week.

From what is seems to me, the Brewers KNOW Fryer can catch. Therefore they are letting the toolsy/raw prospects do the catching while letting Fryer play every day. In reality, his offense is what needs the work, so having him catch 4 days a week then having him take a few days off would take roughly 8 at bats from him per week.

Yeah that makes sense. That would be pretty awesome to have Salome, Lucroy, and Fryer as a Catching logjam.

Before I got too excited I'd like to see Fryer get some extended work behind the plate. We already have a scouting quote out there that when Gamel was drafted his D was ahead of his offense. To top that off there is always the specter of Catcher Offense Stagnation Syndrome. I'm becoming optimistic that Lucroy is working past that possibility, but low A is still early enough for that to set in when they get promoted.

I really hope this is the case (and that the scouting reports are correct), but I don't think it would be too detrimental to his hitting development if he would catch just one game a week. Maybe he's the next Charlie Moore. He could have a long career in the majors if he could hit well enough (and be athletic enough) to be a 2nd/3rd catcher and 5th OF. But I don't want to see his catching skills deteriorate because he isn't getting any reps there. Any inside info on what the Brewers really think of him would be appreciated.

"Maybe he's the next Charlie Moore"

Don't get me wrong, Charlie Moore was a fine defensive right fielder and a good enough catcher to be a number one with a lot of teams, but his bat was not suited to a corner OF spot. In a lineup of thumpers like the Wallbangers, they could get away with it. It would be the equivalent today of putting Kendall in RF.

Fryer appears to have enough power to make a full transition especially given the departure of LaPorta.

Archived