Brewer Fanatic

Manny Parra recognized in NL pitcher of the month voting

Manny's doing a great job, but don't look for him on the All-Star team.

Always remember the stupid, "Every team must be represented" rule, Sheets will already be there, the Brewers are not likely to get two pitchers in.

BA somehow missed that Parra is a rookie this year:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=1267

There's no way he's not one of the top 20, if not top 10 rookies this year (he should be right behind A's LHP Greg Smith...or possibly just before if you put more stock in his W-L record). I remember being confused when he missed their preseason top 25 rookie list.

I know Soto and Fukudome are having very good seasons for rookies...

But honestly, if you double Manny Parra's numbers and give him a 18 - 4 record - that almost would have to get him rookie of the year. (Highly unlikely, but I am just pointing out that at the half way point, he should at least be in the conversation)

Wait, I thought he was not a rookie because all the time he spent in Milwaukee last year?

Parra pitched only 26.1 innings last year, as you don't lose your rookie eligiblity until you've thrown 50 innings at the big-league level. The way he's pitching he could be a legit contender for the ROY by the end of the year, especially if he's a big part of the Brewers getting back into the playoff mix (as he has been the past month).

I know this doesn't apply in Manny's case, but just for clarity's sake, don't you also lose your rookie status if you are on a team's 25-man roster for X-number of days, regardless of playing time (i.e. IP or AB)? I swear that I read that once.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

pitchleague[/b]]I know this doesn't apply in Manny's case, but just for clarity's sake, don't you also lose your rookie status if you are on a team's 25-man roster for X-number of days, regardless of playing time (i.e. IP or AB)? I swear that I read that once.

If a player has spent 45 days on the active roster then they lose their rookie eligibility. Manny was called up on July 16th, 2007 and went on the DL on August 31st, 2007. Therefore, I think he just barely passed the 45 day threshold and is hence no longer a rookie. Can anyone double-check me on this?

Archived