Brewer Fanatic

Question about trades and free agents

I think they are only allowed to negotiate with a new team if their current team gives permission. However, I'm not sure if they're allowed to do that during the season or if that is an offseason quirk.

Upon further googling, it looks like Santana had to be traded prior to contract negotiations. Once he was traded, he had a 72 hour window to reach a contract extension with his new team. If a new contract was not reached his no-trade clause was in effect and the trade would not have went through.

You would have to think that the Twins and Mets had talks with Santana and his agent before the trade went through, otherwise what would be the point of forcing a trade that Santana would ultimately reject?

Permission from the current team and from the commissioner's office is necessary. 72 hours is a common window, but the amount of time granted is decided on a case by case basis. I seem to remember 48 hours being used, too. I'd guess that shorter windows are granted for in-season trades.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived