Brewer Fanatic

Aligning the rotation after the AS break/if there's a trade

LUKE232323

I whipped up a rotation yesterday as well just for the hell of it. What "LUKE" has is about what I've got, except I only went Sabathia, Sheets, then 3, 4, 5.

Also, "LUKE" you have an off day between the SF and StL series. I believe that day is actually the start of the series at St.Louis, it's a four-game set.

Sabathia should get 15 starts in the second half. Sheets should get 14. In order to get them both 15 starts in the 2nd half, they would have to pitch them both once, on only three days rest.

This also takes into account skipping a start for one of the 3, 4, 5, starters a few times on the off days. The 3 slot would be skipped twice, and the 4 and 5 would each be skipped once. So when they need to skip a Parra start eventually, put him in the 3 slot.

In my rotation, Sabathia pitches the last game of the year against the cubs.

And according to my math, I have Sabathia pitching the last game of the year as well, assuming a starter is skipped on every off day. If you do this you can get an even 30 starts out of Sheets/Sabathia the rest of the way (including before the AS break). That is Sheets/Sabathia starting 41% of the remaining games.

I understand you want Sheets and Sabathia to go as often as possible, but wouldn't it be better to split them up to help the bullpen? If Sabathia goes game 1 & Sheets goes in game 4 out of the break they both pitch in the Cubs and Cards series. We have 20 straight out of the break so each of the 5 starters will go 4 times in that stretch either way. Putting Ben and CC back-to-back would seem to put undue stress on the pen to shore up the backend of games for 3 days in a row.

SF: Sabathia

SF: Buish

SF: Parra

STL: Sheets

STL: Suppan (this is the first day he is eligible to come off the DL)

STL: Sabathia

STL: Bush

HOU: Parra

HOU: Sheets

HOU: Suppan/McClung

CHC: Sabathia

CHC: Bush

CHC: Parra

CHC: Sheets

Forgot about the rain makeup game, the original schedule did have it as a three game set.

I see. I didn't even know that was a rain make up.

I understand you want Sheets and Sabathia to go as often as possible, but wouldn't it be better to split them up to help the bullpen?

Well Yost has already announced Sabathia and Sheets will start those first two games of the second half, so that's what I went with, and I'm assuming LUKE did the same.

Hey guys, I'm a Cubs fan from NSBB (I come in peace! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif). Anyways, I'm curious to know if Yost or the Brewers have announced what the rotation will look like after the ASG? I ask this because I'll be up at Miller Park at the end of the month and I would love to see Z-CC or Harden-Sheets. Who wouldn't?! Also on a side unrelated note, Sky Diving Midwest is by far one of the greatest experiences I've ever had and if you haven't done it yet, you should!

For some reason, the fact that you latched on the Tyson Chandler with your screen name just give you fan cred for some reason. Hope you enjoy the atmosphere of Miller Park as you watch the Cubbies lose three games on the Brewers. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Due to All Star appearances, I actually expect Sabathia and Harden to start out the second half, which would make that the match-up on the 28th as well. I would assume Sheets and Zambrano after that, followed by Parra and Lilly, and then Suppan and Dempster. Just a guess on my part.

haha well I've used the name since Tyson was drafted and the 423 comes from 42 (Elton Brand) and 23 is obvious. I don't know why I still use this as my username on message boards amongst other things but I guess it just stuck for me. Anyways, I already have tickets for the 30th and I'm trying to get some for the 29th. Wish I could go to all 4 but I got my court date for my speeding ticket on the 1st of August http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

Hope you enjoy the atmosphere of Miller Park as you watch the Cubbies lose three games on the Brewers. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif
It's a 4 game series...way to make us look good.

My guess is Sabathia & Sheets in the first two games, although Sheets could slip to Wednesday if he pitches 3 innings in the all-star game and his first start after gets pushed to Sunday. They'd probably rather have them go 1/2 since that gives Sheets a start versus St. Louis as well.

I'd also guess its Parra in game three.

They should set it up so Bush only pitches at Miller Park and Sheets only pitches on the road.

How awesome is it that they're actually considering this?

"The Brewers are giving some thought to a fifth starter platoon, in which McClung would make road starts and Bush would pitch at Miller Park.

Entering Thursday, Bush is 3-2 with a 2.87 ERA in eight starts at home and 1-6 with a 6.95 ERA in nine games, including eight starts, on the road. McClung, who started the season in the bullpen, is 1-1 with a 3.28 ERA in 11 appearances on the road and 4-3 with a 5.08 ERA in nine games at home."

Link

First hitting the pitcher 8th, now a pitching platoon. It's the year for thinking outside the box!

Could McClung & Bush be the designated reliever in each other starts? McClung has been pitching well, but gasses a little earlier. 5 solid innings from Seth with 4 from Bush on the road and 6 solid from Bush and 3 solid from McClung at home? That might make 3/5 games where the bullpen gets little action...unless they keep using Mota.

Basically the premise here is to keep Sheets on his normal rest, and to let CC have 1 extra day rest. (generous, huh? considering he pitched 241 innings last year I thought I'd throw him a bone.) I laid out the calendar and CC - pitching every 5th day regardless of days off, etc - would still get 15 starts (!) and would be on target to pitch game #162.

Sorry for the diarhea formatting...

F - 18 (@SF):

Sa - 19: Sabathia

Su - 20: Sheets

M - 21 (@STL):

T - 22:

W - 23:

Th - 24: Sabathia

F - 25 (v HOU): Sheets

Sa - 26:

Su - 27:

M - 28 (v CHC):

T - 29: Sabathia

W - 30: Sheets

Th - 31:

That might make 3/5 games where the bullpen gets little action...unless they keep using Mota.
Well... I guess that could be technically true. But, in your scenario you have one less bullpen guy to spread the other innings over. And if you get TWO guys (Sheets and Sabathia) to consistently go 7,8,9 innings, you really don't have many problems anyway. Unless of course, you don't have enough reliable relievers to handle even those few innings we're talking about - which is the case with the Brewers. But, that's probably a different topic altogether.

It should also be noted that assuming no one is skipped and there are no injuries, the Cubs will go 1-2-3-4 in their rotation against us.

Our rotation coming out of the break is Lilly, Zambrano, Dempster, Hardin, Marquis - You will see the first 4 in that order barring injuries OR rainouts. Since we are at Houston and Arizona, only our set of 4 vs the Marlins (hope Uggla plays like he did last night) is the only rain out possibility. (unless a hurricane hits Houston in the next 3 days)

You guys have 3 in SF and 4 in St Louis that could get washed but probably not So we should see Sabbathia, Sheets, Parra, and Bush/McClung

Could McClung & Bush be the designated reliever in each other starts? McClung has been pitching well, but gasses a little earlier. 5 solid innings from Seth with 4 from Bush on the road and 6 solid from Bush and 3 solid from McClung at home? That might make 3/5 games where the bullpen gets little action...unless they keep using Mota.

I mentioned this to a buddy of mine today, but with shorter appearances for the "relievers". Something like 5/6 for the starter and 2/3 for the reliever. Of course, if the starter is struggling you pull him earlier, and keep him in longer if he's dealing. If you can get 7 innings from the two, that leaves 1 for a set-up guy and 1 for Torres to get the save.

This assumes that Bush can handle 2-3 innings on the road.

Archived