Brewer Fanatic

Identity Theft

Alright, so my wife and a coworker both had their purses stolen yesterdays. A whole 8 hours went by before the theft was noticed. 16 hours went by before I had a fraud alert placed on her credit report.

In her purse were credit cards, debit cards, her drivers license AND her social security card (ugh).

We canceled the credit card and debit cards - they had already put two tanks of gas on the one credit card. Nothing happened to the debit card...

The thing that worries me is the social security card mixed with the drivers license.

I had the fraud alert placed on there, but that's only good for 90 days. Don't identity thieves know this? What is to stop them from waiting three months and then open accounts left and right???

Anyone with experience on this, what can I do to protect my wife's identity beyond the 90 day window?

(I know there is the 7 year fraud alert, but that seems to only go into effect AFTER someone has committed fraud against you. What else can I do to prevent that from even happening?)

Did you contact the three credit bureaus? (Can't remember their names - I'm sure someone will). Generally, you can set something up with them so that if anyone tries to open up any line of credit in your name over the next 12 months, you have to be notified and have to approve it first. You can continue to "re-initiate" this feature every 12 months by calling the credit bureaus (actually, you may only have to call one).

Edit: Bureaus- Equifax 888-766-0008, TransUnion 1-800-680-7289, and Experian1 888 397 3742

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Did you contact the three credit bureaus? (Can't remember their names - I'm sure someone will). Generally, you can set something up with them so that if anyone tries to open up any line of credit in your name over the next 12 months, you have to be notified and have to approve it first. You can continue to "re-initiate" this feature every 12 months by calling the credit bureaus (actually, you may only have to call one).

Edit: Bureaus- Equifax 888-766-0008, TransUnion 1-800-680-7289, and Experian1 888 397 3742

Yeah... thanks... that's the fraud alert I did... I suppose I could just renew that every 90 days for the next couple of years...

Really...only 90 days? I temporarily lost my SS Card 6 or 7 years ago (ended up being returned the next day), but I could have sworn it was 1 year at the time.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I suppose the duration of any credit screening depends on who's footing the bill. My parents each got a year from the state the last time morons in the tax department sent out forms with social security numbers on the mailing labels. I certainly think it'd be worth picking up the tab to go more than 90 days.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Here's a link to a basic "what to do" sheet from the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection.

I might have some other information rattling around at home. If I find it this weekend I'll share it here or send you a PM. Good luck.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

RKFG -

Therein lies a message for all of you out there who may not know this: Do not, under any circumstance(unless you are asked to show it upon new employment) carry your Social Security card on your person. Keep it ina a safe place to prevent loss or theft.

(Sorry, though, to hear of this happening to them.)

Archived