Brewer Fanatic

Long Term Rotation Ideas

I think we all keep side tracking the CC thread some talking about all of the various topics on both sides of the arguement for and against. I presonally feel it's been a good discussion all the way around and I think we all agree that there is some sort of long term solution needed for the rotation. Looking at Sabathia's demands even if the Brewers land him there's no way they can afford to resign him for 6 to 7 years. I think the bidding for Sheets will eventually come down to years, and the Brewers aren't able to go 5 or 6 years for him either. In my opinion it's pretty cut and dried that they aren't going to be signing either of the best 2 free agent pitchers this off season.

I personally still favor a move for a younger arm that we can control for some time. Who would you target? As I mentioned earlier in the Sabathia thread I'd rather move talent to the AL, because I selfishly don't want to root against any of my boys, and partly because I favor moving Prince to add 2 or 3 quality arms in one shot. I also don't want the Brewers to deal with the Yankees or BoSox, so here are the young arms I'd like to see the Brewers target.

These guys would be a starting point, in some cases like for Shields the deal might have to be Prince straight up... but regardless these are the guys I'd like to see Brewers target, I've had more time to research and look around this evening, instead of just the guys I've had in mind all along. I've excluded some guys because I didn't think the Brewers matched up well with the other team for a trade. Some guys everyone will be familiar with, others not so much, I didn't feel right posting the scouting reports on these guys because it's all subscriber content, and there some guys here on my list getting fantastic results that aren't on anyone's top 10 lists such as BA.

Toronto
Shaun Marcum I also like Brett Cecil and any number of trades could work here.

Baltimore
David Hernandez and/or Bradley Bergesen I like Chris Tillman as well but he's not very economical with his pitches which is why I didn't include him initially. I wouldn't mind picking up 2 of these 3 AA pitchers in a deal. Baltimore needs SS, 3B, and OF help.

Tampa Bay
James Shields and I just am unable to control myself but I'd love David Price even though he's recovering from an injury. I'd be thrilled with either of those 2, TB could use 1B or DH help, depending how you look at it, and a decent RF.

Oakland
Vincent Mazzaro

Kansas City
Danile Cortes and/or Carlos Rosa

Chicago (White Sox)
Aaron Poreda

Texas
Eric Hurley and Neftali Feliz as a package. I can't believe I forgot about Feliz earlier... for some reason since I said "who?" when he was traded for Teixeira I've had a man crush on him, and Hurley has 3ish potential. Texas needs help at 3B and the OF.

My favorite 2 pitchers are Shields and Price, and I'd honestly prefer Price, but Shields may be easier to get since he's their #3 in my opinion behind Kazmir and Garza, and Price is flying through the low minors. TB has so much pitching I'm truly envious, even my boy Balfour is pitching well for them, which pleases me greatly I might add.

My next favorite deal would be Toronto for both Marcum and Cecil. Marcum is steady and Cecil has good potential and could earn a mid season bump next year.

After that I'm pretty indifferent, the Texas deal wouldn't be earth shattering early, but Feliz has just sick stuff down the road. Getting both Cortes and Rosa from KC would be sweet (I'm not a huge Greinke guy), Cortes could be a top of the rotation guy and while Rosa has the stuff to be, he might end up a reliever.

Obviously if you extend this to the NL there's many more possibilities, I'm curious who other people would like to see long term.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I really like Toronto as a trade partner, they have a ton of starting pitching, and more on the way. Marcum is good, and I would not mind seeing him a brewers uniform at all, however I would prefer to get Dustin McGowan. After the year that Marcum is having, he will be more expensive to get, and I think that the difference between them is almost non existent, Marcum strikes out a few more batters, but McGowan gives up less homeruns.

I was actually wondering, what is the availability of Dustin McGowan? I remember they were in discussions with SF to trade Rios for one of their Big Two, but they broke down, so I have reservations in believing they went from famine to feast so quickly. But if they are available, KNOWING the Doc is off limits, I would prefer our once prime target, Gord's fave and mine, McGowan.

Matt Cain is going no where. The Giants are not going to trade Cain or Lincecum for anything less than a Fielder + trade. Cain and Lincecum are both not going to be traded by the Giants unless you want to trade Braun or Fielder for them. That is what the Giants would be looking at for a Cain or Lincecum trade. Weeks or Hardy + would not get Cain or Lincecum.

Cain should absolutely be traded by the Giants. And then when he becomes average away from a park entirely suited to him (his ERA tends to be a full run higher away) the Giants can sign him for less as a free agent than if he stayed.

An interesting note that I haven't seen posted: Fangraphs.com has a trade value ranking, and Fielder is at #30. (Braun at #20)

Pitchers surrounding Fielder:

27 - Haren

29 - Shields

31 - Chamberlain

32 - Kershaw

I'd like to think that Gallardo was very close to making that list, especially if he wasn't on the DL.

Archived