Brewer Fanatic

7/2/08 Brewers (McClung) at Diamondbacks (Petit), 8:40 PM CDT

Watching the highlights on the Brewers website, I also noticed that Sutton was rather pouty. Is he always like this? Or just against the Brewers? Or maybe he was just in a bad mood tonight.

Pouty is a good word. He was lamenting all the chances the D-Backs had but didn't capitalize on. At one point after Weeks HR, he said something to the effect that the D-Backs "deservered" to come back and win this game. Maybe it had something to do with his lame "redhead" section. I'm not a huge Brian Anderson fan, but I don't mute the sound nearly as much as I did with Sutton.

As for McClung, he couldn't command his curveball very well, but his fastball was still hitting occasionally in the mid 90's and his control was off so that D-Back hitters were not very comfortable. He also ran up his pitch count early in the game. Brian and Bill kept trying to give him the "dead arm" excuse, but it's been 6 weeks and 8 starts as a starter so I don't think that excuse flys.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow. Our LOOGY takes care of two Dangerous righties... Fielder makes a tough pick look easy.

Good night ladies and gentlemen, I'm falling asleep knowing this one is going to turn our way.

So I sucked it up for 7 bleary-eyed west coast innings that challenged my love of watching baseball only to miss the Weeks spark, the bottom 8th equalizer, the top 9 gift / fundamentals display / Cam re-clutchinessitude, and bottom 9 Torres door slamming? Guess I picked the wrong 2 innings not to watch, but you what?, I really went to bed thinking the game was ours.

I will never understand why Shouse was in there for Reynolds and C Young, unless there was some reverse-conventional-splits action.

Weeks is the ignitor - the team will go as he goes

Kapler is invaluable - we should forego an infielder for a short-center fielder

Is Gagne the "4th, 5th and 6th inning guy" out in the pen now?

edit:

oh, and I simply can't convey my level of annoyance with the FSN-Arizona feed... AND i was watching the game on mute b/c of the sleeping wife. There was just as much - IF NOT MORE - coverage of the stupid Arizona fas (22,000 only, really?) and their hats and CAR signs as the game action itself and it made me want to gouge out my eyeballs with a rusty, ebola-infested spoon.

Shouse came in to face Chad Tracy, I believe, and Melvin countered by pinch-hitting with Reynolds -- Ned was pretty much forced to keep Shouse in the game.

I was pleasantly surprised with how the Brewers managed to score runs in each of the last 4 innings -- not bad considering they started the first three innings without getting on base at all. McClung did his best Claudio Vargas impression last night, and it looks like the Diamondbacks still haven't figured out how to hit with RISP even after all their troubles with it last year. I was also surprised at how quickly the D'Backs fans turned on the team -- when Cameron hit in the tying run in the 7th, you could hear a lot of boos, and the boos pretty much continued when Qualls walked off the mound at the end of the inning. I suppose fans tend to get grumpy when their team is in the middle of a 2-month freefall from "best record in Majors" to "under .500 but still leading the division".

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Verified Member
Pitching bad equals 58 strikes in 96 pitches. Five and a third innings allowing two earned runs. Six Ks and one BB. His velocity is starting to come up as well. I wonder if that is part of the disdain and dislike for the guy: he isn't a soft tosser.
Formerly AKA Pete

Archived