Brewer Fanatic

Daron Sutton predicts something is going to happen with the Brewers and D-Backs

I got this from Sportsbubbler.com, just in case nobody heard it:

Darin Sutton was on a local sports radio show in my area of the state. He flatly predicted that the Brewers had something going on with the Diamondbacks. that he could not go into it, but, that something was coming down the line, very very soon.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know, given our recent draft, that we have shifted our emphasis to pitchers who can hit, but I hope we don't see Micah Owings buttoning up the Brew Crew Blue soon. But seriously, with our OF depth, and their recent injuries, it has to involve an OF... Or perhaps bigger, Hardy/Hart for Drew/O-Dog/Scherzer. Not a fan of the O-Dog, but that's more about my affinity for Weeks.

I could see Hardy and Drew being flopped. Drew is more of an all around hitter. Some homers, some average, very patient, and left-handed. Hardy is similar defensively and does great in AZ.

I would like to see any of the following DBacks become Brewers(guys that I think might be realisitic): Pena, Cruz, Owings, Drew, Bonifacio, and would love to get Scherzer( a bit more unrealistic, but using LaPorta as the bait might get some interest).

The logical assumption to me would be if the two team are talking deal, that it woul be for Harden.

Harden is an Oakland A. Haren is a Dback, and is not going anywhere

Whoops...my fingers were thinking faster then my brain. I knew it was Haren. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/embarassed.gif

Well this is the time of year when every GM is talking with every other GM so I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock into what Sutton says. Sure maybe they are talking. But we're talking with 20+ other teams as well.

I'm just kind of typing out loud here, but putting a couple rumors together... and this may make some sense.

1. The one rumor says that the Brewers may make Hardy and/or Weeks available.

2. The Brewers are rumored to be interested in Sabathia.

3. The Indians have Jamey Carroll playing 2B.

4. The D-Backs are hurting in the OF.

5. Sutton says a deal between the clubs may happen.

6. The Brewers have a glut of top Prospects in AA that are close to being ready.

A. The Brewers trade an OF prospect+ to Arizona for Hudson.(or possibly a player like Kapler plus another more advanced OF prospect)

B. This opens up the Brewers to send Weeks to Cleveland in a Sabathia deal, and may allow us to keep Laporta, Gamel, and Escobar... depending on how Cleveland values Weeks.

So now we have 2 gold glove caliber players at 2B and SS. We actually may improve our offense with the addition of Hudson. We are possibly able to keep our 3 prospects in Huntsville. And we acquire a pitcher who can hopefully put us over the top.

The downside, I believe Hudson is a free agent after this season. Sabathia is definitely a free agent after this year.

All of this may, or may not, be a possibility... I'm just kinda throwing thoughts around in my head right now.

So if we did those deals and Hudson and Sabathia both leave do we get equal compensation for each. Or is Hudson a lower level free agent?

That would depend on the updated FA tier rankings (which will be released in November).

In last year's rankings....

Orlando Hudson was a Class A free agent (behind only Utley in the NL at the position)

Sabathia was a Class A free agent as well (trailing only Santana in the AL).

If one team were to sign both players, Sabathia has (had) the higher score within the Class A rankings, so he would garner the higher picks.

So in that scenario after the season if we lose Sheets, Hudson and Sabathia we could possibly get 6 draft picks aslong as they sign with seperate teams. That would be pretty nice, but would come at a high price.

That "high price" is worth it. It improves this years team greatly, without mortgaging the future. A middle infield spot needs to be opened up for Escobar, and soon. If he's not quite ready for 2009, I'm sure they could get a stopgap.

My inkling though is Arizona is not going to be satisfied with Kapler or say a Gwynn, and the guy who goes will be Cameron. Cameron for Hudson makes the most sense to me, as both are basically rentals, then Weeks and a pitcher (Villanueva or Bush) to Cleveland for Sabathia.

The Brewers may then have to go out and rent another OF to platoon with Kapler, though not necessarily a CF as Hart could move over. Ibanez fits that mold perfectly and shouldn't take a top prospect to get.

Archived