IP: 42 2/3

H: 46

R: 14

ER: 14

BB: 19

SO: 26

ERA: 2.95

W-L: 2-1

Now those numbers may be good enough that Seattle won't deal him (he's signed through 2009), but if Seattle is serious about dismantling and starting over, I think Washburn makes a lot more sense to Brewers than does Burnett. Sure he's basically the Doug Davis of the AL, but on a team that scores runs, that's not all that bad.

Briggs, I have not heard a word about Washburn. SEA may not have him on the market, or maybe ownership has not given the interim GM permission to deal him.

Talk about a team that needs to be blown up...they seem more concerned with marketing to Japan than rebuilding. How is Sexson still on that team?

Rather than give up LaPorta AND Escobar or Gamel, they'd concentrate on Plan B pitchers such as Greg Maddux, Randy Wolf and A.J. Burnett.
From Haudricourt's latest blog posting.

I told you Burnett was looking like a realistic choice.

I want no part of AJ... I want a young pitcher that the Brewers can control for a long time if we aren't getting a rental of Sabathia. I didn't like that deal to begin with.

Burnett

W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV SVO IP H R ER HR BB SO

2008 8 8 4.92 19 18 0 0 0 0 113.1 116 67 62 9 53 111

Bush

W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV SVO IP H R ER HR BB SO

2008 4 8 4.74 17 16 0 0 0 0 98.2 94 56 52 15 26 53

If AJ can be aquired for spare parts then sure, but his name being included by TH hardly required an "I told you so". I dont' see much difference between Burnett and Bush statistcally, other than AJ both BBs and Ks twice as many guys, but they both have similar ratios. He's not an upgrade... I'm not thrilled about Cain either, I'd rather target Toronto's 2 pitchers I mentioned in the other thread for an in season deal.

sorry about the formatting, I still haven't figured that out after 5 years, which is why I don't post tables much.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Per a link from Crossface in the Gargantuan CC thread: http://cbs.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/entry/8590096/9203984

The Jays have been offering starter A.J. Burnett, and a source said they had talked to the Brewers about Burnett, hoping to get either Escobar or J.J. Hardy.

Burnett and the Brewers linked, with the rumor having Toronto coming to us. I don't think Hardy/Escobar would be dealt for a potential rental (if he declines) with a history like Burnett.

Would they roll the dice on Bill Hall? I'd guess not a chance, but doesn't hurt to ask... Of course that blows a hole in the Hall/Branyan platoon, but maybe they can expand it for Rolen (in my fantasy world).

Why would we aquire another Dave Bush for 12 mil/year? In fact, Bush has always been healthy, while Burnett hasn't, I dont' see how that stabilizes our rotation at all, considering that Suppan and Bush are very replaceable the way it is. McClung is growing on me, he might actually be a nice back of the rotation kind of guy.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived