Brewer Fanatic

7/1/08 Brewers (Suppan) at Diamondbacks (R. Johnson): 8:40 PM CDT

jazzytrav
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is Ned back to this 2007 rule "7th inning guy/8th inning guy/closer?"

That is why Melvin jettisoned Wise and brought in guys like Riske who can go multiple innings. If it wasn't for Rivera it would be the identical situation as the Sheets game in Colorado that Mota threw lit matches on a nice lead.

Mota shouldn't be pitching in high leverage situations. He is no better than Chris Spurling.

I'm thinking a Rivera-Fielder platoon at first. Anyone with me on this?

Yost should rotate Fielder, Rivera, Weeks, Dillon, Hardy, Counsell, Hall, and Branyan around the infield every game.

Game 1: Fielder at 1B, Weeks at 2B, Hardy at SS, Hall at 3B.

Game 2: Rivera at 1B, Fielder at 2B, Weeks at SS, Hardy at 3B.

Game 3: Dillon at 1B, Rivera at 2B, Fielder at SS, Weeks at 3B.

And so on and so forth.

Suppan has 53 strikeouts and 41 walks with a 1.55 whip entering tonight, and those numbers only got worse. Hard to argue that's anything but bad.

Obviously that's bad, but I'm saying that he has had many more good games than bad. He has just been really, really bad when he's been off.

If you take out his three terrible, horrible, awful games - the one at New York, the Cubs debacle, and the Orioles game - his WHIP drops to better than the NL average (if I did the math correctly, not counting tonight). I know that those games count just like his good ones, but my point is that he has given the team a chance to win in most of his starts. Just a few games can blow stats out of whack.

I'm not saying he's an All Star or "worth" his salary, but overall, he has done a decent job this year.

You're forgetting the Washignton game where he gave up 5 unearned runs in one inning.

Most major league pitchers aren't going to crap out every single time, they are too good for that. But all have really bad starts, the really good ones might have 2 a season, the bad ones like 8 to 10.

Archived