Brewer Fanatic

7/1/08 Brewers (Suppan) at Diamondbacks (R. Johnson): 8:40 PM CDT

jazzytrav
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

Doesn't he have 5 years of service? Won't he have to agree to the option consent?

I think the 5 years of service rule only comes into play when you're outrighting a player (like Turnbow). Hall would have to clear revokeable waivers since he's been on a 25-man roster for certain, though. If some team would put a claim in, the Brewers would either pull him back or simply let the other team take him at his full remaining contract (which might not be a bad idea at this point).

Calm down, everybody, no need to panic. Yost took Suppan out.

That's the nice thing about jumping out to a 7-1 lead. You can give up a few and still remain in front.

The good thing about all of this is it's getting me excited for Eric Gagne.

OK, now that's 2 outstanding plays at 3B by Hall. He's just teasing us

Edit: And how does he manage it with his cheeks jam packed with seeds? I'd choke just pretending to make that move

Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

Suppan has been a bad pitcher this year.

No, he hasn't.

The problem is, when he has been bad, he's been REALLY bad and he's in a bit of a funk right now. He's pitched many more good games than bad, though. Eyeballing his game logs (counting tonight), I see 10 "good" games, 4 "bad" games, and 3 "so-so" games. He hasn't been fantastic, by any means (although several of his "good" games were tremendous), but he hasn't been bad this year, either.

Well, since he has an option left, he wouldn't need to be DFA'd to send him to the minors.
Doesn't he have 5 years of service? Won't he have to agree to the option consent?

He would be available to all teams with current contract. Trust me, no one would take him and if they did, Melving would have a grabber. He then would have the option to go to Triple A. If he refused, he would become free agent and forfeit his contract.

Sure that's right Peavy? I think they could put him on revokable waivers, but if he's got an option they could attempt to option him down.

If I read the rules right, he'd have 4 days to decide to accept the assignment or become a FA. And any club can pick him up. It does look like he'd terminate his current pay and he wouldn't get termination pay. Doubt any club would offer him that much money though.

Community Moderator

If I read the rules right, he'd have 4 days to decide to accept the assignment or become a FA.

I still think that's the rule for outrighting, not optioning. I think if a player is optioned, he doesn't have a choice, but no I'm not sure of that.

I think they could put him on revokable waivers

Because of his service time (more than three years from his first stint on the 25-man), he'd have to be exposed to revokable waivers regardless of the option. That I'm positive about. The real question is what if anything Hall can do about the option. Earlier this year, Capellan's choices were report or retire. I think Hall's would be the same, but again, I'm not sure, as Capellan certainly had less time than Hall.

Suppan has 53 strikeouts and 41 walks with a 1.55 whip entering tonight, and those numbers only got worse. Hard to argue that's anything but bad.

Obviously that's bad, but I'm saying that he has had many more good games than bad. He has just been really, really bad when he's been off.

If you take out his three terrible, horrible, awful games - the one at New York, the Cubs debacle, and the Orioles game - his WHIP drops to better than the NL average (if I did the math correctly, not counting tonight). I know that those games count just like his good ones, but my point is that he has given the team a chance to win in most of his starts. Just a few games can blow stats out of whack.

I'm not saying he's an All Star or "worth" his salary, but overall, he has done a decent job this year.

Hall should just go up there and do the opposite of what he is thinking.. because whatever he is thinking is definitely not working..

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/6540/bddseinfeldgeorgexf6.jpg

Archived