Brewer Fanatic

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

So when do you think the crew falls into second place? I think it could be by the time they get back home to play the Mets starting on July 31st. I hope I am wrong.

I know I will be branded a non-believer but this team is struggling and the Cubs are absolutely white hot right now. Feel free to tell me why I should relax and that this team is not going to blow the huge lead they have enjoyed most of the season. I need a pep talk!

Call me a panicing little girly man but I have a bad feeling about the next few weeks.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Crew just won two series. THEY JUST WON TWO SERIES.

True enough, but are still only 2 1/2 games up. We figured someone in the division was going to wake up sooner or later and apparently the Cubs have done so.

Just doesn't appear the pitching (starters in particular) is as good as expected. Suppan is very worrisome (moreso because of that contract), Capuano (enough said) and Sheets out 4-6 weeks. Gallardo could be a star in the making, but he has only pitched a very short time in the big leagues. Bush is a crapshoot everytime out. Vargas our most consistent starter (enough said there as well).

I'm still hanging with them since they are still in first place. But the trend doesn't look very good....

The Brewers are playing OK right now, but OK might not be enough to win the division. It certainly will not be if the Cubs keep up this torrid pace much longer.

I can only hope that when the Cubs come back to Earth a little bit -- They've got to at some point, right? -- they crash hard, as in .400 ball for a couple weeks.

Friggin' Cubs. Geesh.

This is the game of averages people. Have some faith. Remember when we played way above expectations twice this season? You have your ups and your downs. The good news is, that even though we haven't been playing great lately, we've been winning more than we've been losing. What are we, 5-3 since the break? And we've only had one really good game in that stretch?

There's still a long ways to go. The current winning PCT has the Brewers winning 91+ games. I don't think we honestly have the talent on the team to win much more than that.

...and conversely, unless the Cubs swing some kind of huge deal (which doesn't sounds likely due to the impending sale), I really don't see them keeping this up.

Patience... A large number of people wanted to jump off a cliff after the no-hitter as well.

The thing is every home game is important because we know they aren't going to play good on the road, no matter who they are playing. They need to win the home games, especially against the Giants.

[ The thing is every home game is important because we know they aren't going to play good on the road, no matter who they are playing. They need to win the home games, especially against the Giants. ]

We can't count on the Brewers to sweep every team at home, even the rotten ones. If the Brewers lose the series, I'll be disappointed. But until then, they haven't lost the series.

The Brewers are in a legit pennant race for the first time in roughly 25 years and it seems like few are enjoying it,i don't get it.

We will very likely be playing games that matter alot for the rest of the season,instead of looking at what vets we can trade to a contender at the deadline.I can only speak for myself,but i'm enjoying the tension that these games are bringing vs being 11 games back and not really caring if we win or lose games.

Sure it would be nice to have a safer lead in the division,but it getting close does raise the stakes and tension,which all great pennant races need to thrive.

Obviously i hope we make the playoffs and i'm not overly worried yet,but i'm going to continue to enjoy and soak in where this team is at right now after so long of not caring about games by this point in the season.When i find myself getting to pissed off,i try to remind myself that for the past 25 years,i'd have been thrilled to have a reason to be stressed over losing a game in late July.

I think Danzig is on the right track. This is a first for a lot of you, hang in there and enjoy the ride. I'd love to see the Brewers coast to a division title, but that doesn't appear to be in the cards.

There will be some ups and downs along the way, don't forget, there's still over two months of games left, that's enough time for practically anything to take place - good or bad.

The Cubs will not stay this hot, do you really think they'll win 80% of their remaining games?

The way things are shaping up, both the Brewers and the Cubs may make the playoffs, if that happens, I honestly won't care whether the Brewers won the division or not, just get the winning record, and reach the playoffs.

I've been feeling pretty bummed -- the one-run wins aren't sustainable, and I think we have some legitimate talent holes, plus no hitter is really hitting right now. But Danzig put everything in perspective: this is a fun year. Even beyond that, this team's strong suits are still youth and depth, so the part of my brain that wants an insurance policy against heartbreak can be pretty confident that we're likely to play a lot of important games for the foreseeable future.

Greg.

I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile, and stupid gesture, to be done on somebody's part.

And we're just the guys to do it:

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/sports/brew/img/jul06/hall0703.jpg

Well, the Germans may have bombed Pearl Harbor, but we beat them at Iwo Jima and ended up winning the war.

endaround makes a good point when he says, "The Crew just won two series. THEY JUST WON TWO SERIES." This isn't a three hour tour... a three hour tour. It's an around-the-world cruise.

By the way, welcome to the forum, panicking little girly man! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif (Kidding, of course, with the 'girly man' thing, but not about the welcome, though. Glad to have you aboard.)

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I think I predicted 78-84 before the season started and everyone scoffed. I believe that still may be a pretty good guess, which I agree will disappoint many including me. Since going 24-10 to start the season, they've gone 30-32.

I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic. I would be the most excited guy in the world if we hung on this year, but I'm just not convinced we have what it's going to take to do it this year.

The Brewers are in a legit pennant race for the first time in roughly 25 years and it seems like few are enjoying it,i don't get it.

I dont think it is fair to say that people aren't enjoying it -- I think it's like a movie/roller coaster, where people are constantly on the edge of their seats. Pepto Bismol will play a role for some people down the stretch I am sure. There will be a lot of nail-biting to be done....

The Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Pearl Harbor was bombed by Ben Affleck.

I was listening to a area sports radio show and they were commenting on how Brewer fans just look at the darkside of a current great season. Yesterday we had the best record in the National League. But still the " henny penny's" continue to see the bleek side of a nice season.

Sure I would like to win all the games. But that is not practical. Do I still cringe when our pitchers can't throw a strike....hitters can't move baserunners.....when secondbasemen knock the stuffing out of catchers at a play at the plate. OH, wait.....I didn't cringe at that. I jumped to my feet and loved it.

I love the fact that we are living the promise. The kids have arrived and attendence is skyrocketing. We are the FOX game of the week and I for one am thrilled.

Maybe I am just getting old ( if 52 is old ). But I have waited along time for the Brewers to be competitive. And that moment has arrived.

My suggestion: RELAX and enjoy the moment.

Quote:
say what you want but Lou has that team playing the best baseball in both leagues.the brewers have been hust mediocre since there hot start and the way they play on the road does not bold welll.

Yes an eventually it will end, just like the Red Sox, the Brewers and the Mets did when they were the hottest teams in baseball. The Cubs do not have a great team either, other than Soriano, Lee, Ramirez that lineup might not have another guy with an OPS over .800 at the end of the year. The rotation has out produced expectations across the board pretty much and could easily jump 0.50 points in ERA the rest of the way.

The Cubs are hot but they are playing way over their heads, just like the Brewers were when they got off to a 24-10 start. Sometimes all the balls drop your way for a month and that is exactly what is going on.

What we have to hope for is that it ends sooner rather than later.

The thing with the Cubs is that they're having their run and still haven't managed to catch the Brewers. Yeah, if they play .750 baseball the rest of the year, they'll win it going away...but they are very likely to cool down. And if they cool down and are still in second, do they have another run like this in them?

There are encouraging signs....the rotation pitched well this time through with the obvious exception of Suppan. Hall will be back soon, and rested, and eventually Sheets will as well. And Spurling, for that matter. Suppan remains a question mark, but I expect him to stabilize things. All told, though, I think our youngsters are tired...162 games is a long season, and there are going to be ups and downs.

Archived