Brewer Fanatic

Most recent trade rumors, per ESPN

Sabathia - Tribe will make one last attempt to sign him to a new deal, Sabathia rumored to want what Johan Santana got - 6 years, 137.5. A deal like that seems highly unlikely from the Indians, so a trade remains most likely.

Matt Holliday - Rocky Mountain News says he's likely to be available following the All-Star break.

Brian Fuentes - Absolutely gone from the Rockies - Cardinals, A's, and the entire Northeast listed as possibilities.

Willy Taveras - A's are kicking the tires.

Padres - Go ahead and call. Wolf, Maddux and Giles are all very available

6 years for 20+... geez I was thinking 18ish for 4 or 5... That most likely means he's unsignable as well, from a Brewer standpoint

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

6 years for 20+... geez I was thinking 18ish for 4 or 5... That most likely means he's unsignable as well, from a Brewer standpoint

I believe earlier in the year the Indians offered something like 4 years at 16 or 18 million. I believe Sabathia wanted 6 years. Maybe if the Brewers could talk him into it for 5 years at 18 million. I still don't like that though. Even though the Brewers could afford that the should would be another question. I don't think the Brewers should sign Sabathia and Sheets but one or the other would be a good move. It would just depend on the # of years of the contract. I'm not to worried about the dollar amount just the years.

Man, too bad our outfield is stocked, because I would love to see Matt Holliday as a Brewer. Obviously not going to happen.

Well, technically you could include Hart in a trade for Holliday. I love Hart, but you'd have to consider it at least. But I agree, I doubt that's the kind of trade we're looking to make.

I wonder the Dodgers losing Juan could we try to move TG for a pitcher?

The Dodgers are not really thin at the OF spot. They still have Jones, Ethier, and Kemp and Pierre was just filling in for a lack luster Jones. I also don't see what kind of a pitcher you could get for TG from the Dodgers at most you could get a minor league pitcher for TG from the Dodgers.

The Padres are more of a trading partner than the Dodgers are for the Brewers. Since Crabbe and Gwynn are players that they are really high on. Gwynn all be himself could land Maddux but you would probably need to trade Crabbe and Gwynn for Wolf though.

Scouts were on hand to watch the Phillies' top prospect last night, AA RHP Carlos Carrasco - he was scratched, due to shoulder stiffness.

Phillies are scouting both Sabathia and Bedard, lots of Seattle scouts following the Phillies around at the moment.

Several teams are pursuing Ron Mahay, of the Royals. Mahay is 37, has one more year at 4 million. He seems to be Plan B for those who do not get Fuentes.

Cubs scouting both Wolf and Harden, in addition to Sabathia.

Rockies - Willing to discuss almost anybody. Fuentes is a free agent after this season, Holliday is after next season, and is a Boras client, and Atkins is a free agent after two seasons, with replacements ready if they move him.

Rockies - Willing to discuss almost anybody. Fuentes is a free agent after this season, Holliday is after next season, and is a Boras client, and Atkins is a free agent after two seasons, with replacements ready if they move him.

Atkins would be an interesting pickup. I wonder what it would take to get him. Although his stats are pretty skewed in favor of playing at Coors field.

To be honest, I'd love Sabathia. But I fully expect us to land someone like Derek Lowe, Paul Byrd, Aaron Cook, or Maddux. Byrd seems a likely candidate.

Yuck....if that is all the Brewers do at the deadline, I think you will see many thousand angry Brewer fans wanting Melvin's head on a platter. If they acquire a Pitcher it better be one of four guys in order of preference:

1. Sabathia

2. Harden

3. Bedard

4. Burnett

From Jayson Stark:

Brew view: Clubs that have checked in with the Brewers say they're being so aggressive in their hunt for a big-time starting pitcher, they might even be willing to include J.J. Hardy or Rickie Weeks "in the right deal." The Brewers have onrushing 21-year-old shortstop Alcides Escobar tearing it up in Double-A. So their middle infield would be covered long-term, and some combination of Craig Counsell, Bill Hall (if he's not dealt) and Joe Dillon potentially could handle it short-term. Let's say this again: The Brewers are a team you should not take your eyes off in the pre-deadline hysteria. "They'd listen on just about anybody for the right pitcher," said an official of one club that spoke with them. "And they're still very deep in their system. We've got nine prospects on our list from their Double-A club alone."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings

The brewers need three pieces of the puzzle to make them world series favorites IMO. Sabbathia, Roberts, and a stud reliever. Obviously not an easy order to fill. If they can do that and only part with 2 of their studs from huntsville (Laporta, Escobar, Salome, and Gamel), I would do it. Although I would prefer to hang on to Gamel and Escobar. Gamel for his LH bat, and Escobar for his position. Both not necessarily strenghts of the organization. This scenario, of course, would include Weeks to go bye-bye, and possibly Bush or McClung. So be it. Go for it Melvin, and don't screw it up.

The brewers need three pieces of the puzzle to make them world series favorites IMO. Sabbathia, Roberts, and a stud reliever. Obviously not an easy order to fill. If they can do that and only part with 2 of their studs from huntsville (Laporta, Escobar, Salome, and Gamel), I would do it. Although I would prefer to hang on to Gamel and Escobar. Gamel for his LH bat, and Escobar for his position. Both not necessarily strenghts of the organization. This scenario, of course, would include Weeks to go bye-bye, and possibly Bush or McClung. So be it. Go for it Melvin, and don't screw it up.

We can't trade Laporta AND Gamel when Fielder is insistent upon reaching free agency. As a result he'll likely not be a Brewer in 2012 or whatever, and we need one of the two aforementioned players to replace him at 1st and in the middle of the order. Let's not be short-sighted. We're not the Yankees or Red Sox with a ginormous payroll, our farm system needs to be the lifeblood of our team. Bleed us dry and we're yet again a lifeless team in MLB.

We can't trade Laporta AND Gamel when Fielder is insistent upon reaching free agency. As a result he'll likely not be a Brewer in 2012 or whatever, and we need one of the two aforementioned players to replace him at 1st and in the middle of the order.

I'd hate to lose both LaPorta and Gamel, however, 2012 is a long ways out still and I think it's shortsighted to think they are the only possible replacements for Fielder in three and a half years. We're likely to have a bulk of high draft picks again this next year and even if we don't develop a first baseman within our own system, we should have a lot more trading chips available to us in three years as well.

Trade Fielder in the offseason for Shields, Price, or a different top of the rotation starter and he'll need to be replaced right away.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived