Brewer Fanatic

CD Driver (E drive) problems

jaybird2001wi

For the tech guys out on brewerfan.net nation, my mom's computer has been having a hard time detecting CDs when placed into the E: Drive. Whenever I put ANY CD or system CD into it, it doesn't even detect any new software or music when it finishes processing. It used to be able to take music out of CDs and placed them into Windows Media Player to play music. But now it is like it doesn't even notice any disc has been put into the drive.

When I placed a CD into the drive, it said "Driver busy," and then after it finishes processing, it says, "No disc in drive." I tried to see if there was any issues inside the computer, but there was no visible problems.

Then I checked the properties of the E: Drive and it said 0KB of free space and 0KB of used space. What is going on here?

But here is what the Properties EXACTLY read when I check on the DVD-RW drive:

General Tab:

Type: CD Drive

File system: Unknown

Used Space: 0kb

Free Space: 0kb

Then under the Hardware Tab, it notes that both "devices are working properly"

Then under the DLA tab, it notes that one of the devices is "disabled"

Normally I just buy a new drive when this happens, you can pick them pretty cheap on newegg.com (my site of choice) or any of the other websites out there. Drives are super easy to install, disconnect the cables from the old one, put out the old drive, insert the new and reattach the cables. Windows should install device properly.

I guess it could be a driver issue, but in my experience this will happen to 1 of my drives and the other 2 will still function. I tend to wear out drives pretty fast though, I burn alot of DVDs and CDs for football.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Optical Drives are like toasters. When they stop working you don't fix them. They are so cheap to replace you just chuck the broken part and buy a new one.

If you are not technically inclined, for a little more money you can buy one at a not big box store and have them put it in for you. Watching Milwaukee PC do it for me when I upgraded to DVD is how I learned how to do it.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

as stated previously dvd drives are cheap and easy to install yourself. i would recommend newegg also. i had a problem similar to the one you mention and it was because(so i was told by a computer tech) that if you move your computer around while a disc is in the drive it can cause the laser to be not focused on the right area of the disc and unable to read it properly.

Archived