Brewer Fanatic

Crazy idea.... (Fielder+Jeffress? for King Felix+Sexson)

How about this? Ship Prince and a pitching prospect (Jeffress?) to Seattle for Felix Hernandez and Richie Sexson. Would Seattle bite on this? We'd be taking Richie's contract off their hands for the rest of the season ($8 millionish?) but his contract is up at the end of the year. This would give the team a stud young pitcher for several more seasons..... and maybe Sexson could bounce back somewhat with a return to Milwaukee.

EDIT: Please use more descriptive thread titles - BtA

I would love to get Felix but I dont see it happening.With Johjima signing an extension. I assume Clement would play first but maybe Im wrong maybe DH. I could see Beltre being a good fit with some young pitchers thrown into the mix.

To me, Jeffress is currently off limits. With Ichiro in RF, the Mariners do need a better CF than Bloomquist. I wouldn't mind doing a Prince + Gywnn + Gillespie + Zack Jackson for King Felix + Sexson if the Mariners are interested.

Sexson still hits lefties pretty good and I'd platoon him with Rivera or Dillon against righties, or send down Dillion and callup Brad Nelson to platoon with Sexson. King Felix is a young stud, Felix + Yo + Parra for next season and beyond = awesome.

Sexson is done. The only dude that flourished in Milwuakee the second time around is Seitzer. If Seattle wants to do a Fielder for Felix and Beltre, I'd listen but nothing less than that. Richie is done. We don't need another platooning position.

Joehova, I have to disagree with you. You can't give up Hart right now. Hes gonna be cheaper and BETTER than Prince over the next 5-6 years. Don't get me wrong, I love Prince but Hart is more valuable as a player. Give Hart another year and he'll replicate Princes numbers. Maybe not 50 HRs but in RBIs. Prince is a DH in the making, so why not let NY or the Red Sox pay him and give us a kings ransom for him?

The Mariners want to dump Sexson badly, their fans really dislike him and his awful contract. By bundling Sexson with Felix, will actually make the trade more attractive to the Mariners, than just Felix alone. For the Brewers, it would mean absorbing the remainder of Sexson's contract so as to get King Felix. The Brewers can either dump Sexson right away to clear a roster spot or at the end of the season.

EDIT: Beltre is due around $12M in 2009, I will definitely pass on him.

I tell you what...that is a gutsy proposition...but to take on a bad contract in Sexson you are going to have to give one over in exchange as well...Gagne, BHall (a bad contract at his current production level) or better yet, Suppan...Jeffress and PF is too much...even with Felix on board.

Why is SEA wanting to ditch Sexson so badly...he is in the last 3 months of his contract and just won't come back...05:$4.5M, 06:$11.5M, 07:$14M, 08:$14M

anyway...kudos to RockCoCougars for the start of this interesting idea

Why would the Brewers give up Jeffress? The idea is to maximize the potential in the rotation, which means you keep the 1 top prospect pitcher you have and trade bats to aquire more. This trade would essentially keep Bush in the rotation for the next couple of years, so the Brewers don't really have a net gain. Essentially in this deal Felix replaces Sheets in next year's rotation, and now Braddock is the only help between MLB and WV. You aren't able to build depth trading pitching for pitching, you're only breaking even long term, assuming both guys pan out. Swapping Sheets for Felix longterm doesn't plug any other holes.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

That explains why the Brewers do it. However why would Seattle? They're not getting a healthy young Sheets. In fact they're not getting any Sheets. Felix is probably the best young pitcher in baseball and he's not a prospect. He's a sure thing. You sign those guys long term. Never give them up.

That's fine if you're the Mets, that doesn't work when you're the Brewers.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Upton is the only player I may trade straight up for Hernandez. Even then I have my doubts. He ain't moving. Players move if they're a head case, a money problem, don't fit a need, or to fill a greater need. First base is relatively easy to fill. Left handed starting ace is impossible. Cheap and young is a dream.

Remember Fielder would only be traded if he were judged expendable. Then the question becomes what he can bring back.

How about this (and I know it would never happen):

Brewers get:

Felix Hernandez

Ichiro Suzuki

Richie Sexon

Mariners get:

Tony Gwynn

Bill Hall

Prince Fielder

(and possibly a pitching prospect, who I won't speculate on)

The Brewers would gain an international superstar veteran outfielder, as well as a quality SP, and Sexon would be a stop gap until LaPorta or Gamel are ready at 1B. The Mariners would get an upper level 1B/DH they could control for a few more years, and possibly resign, as well as a potential starting CF and a super-utility guy (who admittedly has low value at this point).

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Giving up three starters and their two best box office draws for one starter is not the way to get better. Ichiro is on the downside, but has plenty left. Sexson they'd move, but a half year contract won't cripple the Mariners.

To get Hernandez I think it would take Fielder and Braun with a decent prospect coming back the other way.

How about this (and I know it would never happen):

Brewers get:

Felix Hernandez

Ichiro Suzuki

Richie Sexon

Mariners get:

Tony Gwynn

Bill Hall

Prince Fielder

(and possibly a pitching prospect, who I won't speculate on)

The Brewers would gain an international superstar veteran outfielder, as well as a quality SP, and Sexon would be a stop gap until LaPorta or Gamel are ready at 1B. The Mariners would get an upper level 1B/DH they could control for a few more years, and possibly resign, as well as a potential starting CF and a super-utility guy (who admittedly has low value at this point).

not rational...

wow...why stop there...why not add Clement and half of Tacoma for the rights to Antone Williamson??...Really..Ichiro and Felix? for Prince and players we are kind of phasing out (scraps)...wow. Someone please come up with the typical deal to add Washburn (or SF's Taschner).

I've been expounding on the idea of trading Prince for the King for awhile. If we were going to trade Prince for pitching, he would be the most ideal target, as their contract situations are similar and both teams need the others' skillset at present more than their own player's. But giving up Jeffress along with Prince...is a bit out there. No player in the majors has power like Prince (Ryan Howard included) and no RH pitcher in baseball can boast a better repertoire than the King (Webb/Peavy/Beckett included). It makes perfect sense straight-up, especially given Prince's popularity and his father's popularity in Japan. But with Jeffress, no deal. Brantley....could happen. Jeffress...not so much. It would sap our top pitching prospect from the system and we aren't exactly busting with heirs.

Archived