Brewer Fanatic

Trading with Baltimore

How open is Baltimore to adding salary for next year. The reason I ask is because Hall seems like the most likely candidate to be moved unless someone blows us away in a deal for Hardy, or Weeks. If the Orioles would take on Hall's contract I would not mind seeing Guthrie, or maybe even Cabrera if he shows signs of life in the rotation next year.

With Guthrie we may have to throw in some filler like Nelson who would have to be exposed to waivers if he does not make the team next year anyway to get him, but I would be okay with a deal of Hall, Nelson, and either Gwynn, or Iribarren for Guthrie and either a middle relief type guy that has an option or two left, or a low level prospect with some potential.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How open is Baltimore to adding salary for next year. The reason I ask is because Hall seems like the most likely candidate to be moved unless someone blows us away in a deal for Hardy, or Weeks. If the Orioles would take on Hall's contract I would not mind seeing Guthrie, or maybe even Cabrera if he shows signs of life in the rotation next year.

With Guthrie we may have to throw in some filler like Nelson who would have to be exposed to waivers if he does not make the team next year anyway to get him, but I would be okay with a deal of Hall, Nelson, and either Gwynn, or Iribarren for Guthrie and either a middle relief type guy that has an option or two left, or a low level prospect with some potential.

We're open to adding salary, but Hall is not someone we'd look to acquire, unless he was the second guy in a deal for a SS. Guthrie is virtually untouchable. He has serious value to us, and would garner a great deal of attention were he available. Nelson is interesting, as is Gwynn as a 4th/5th OF'er type, but overall I know we'd scoff at that package.

I'm in favor of trading Hall is a purely salary dump this offseason, but we really don't have a good option for 3B if we do that. We could move Hardy to 3B and play Escobar as several have mentioned but Escobar's bat in the lineup his first full year in MLB might be pretty dreadful.

Its too bad we didn't pull the trigger on the Scott Rolen trade.

I would still love to find a way to get Roberts this offseason for Weeks +. After that, the perfect move imo would be moving JJ to 3rd, having Escobar at SS and keep Hall as a utility player to spell Hardy and Escobar when needed. I don't think Hall will have much value this offseason, and dumping him would be a mistake as I do feel his offense will be better than what it is this season.

Yes if Hall has no value, and would be only a salary dump, then I see no reason in trading a guy who could still pump out 35 homeruns. It makes more sense to pay him the money next year and hopes he plays like he has been for the past month or so. I still have to think that he would have value to a team like the royals, orioles, or blue jays, who desperatley need a shortstop. Hall could be one of the top offensive shortstops, and he is not terrible defensivley at short either.

The deal that makes sense this offseason is Hall and Weeks for Roberts and Mora.

From the O's perspective, they get younger at both positions with players they control over multiple seasons.

From the Brewer perspective, they get better production at both positions in the short term with 2 expiring contracts at positions they are positioned to fill internally by 2010 when Escobar will force Hardy to 2B and Gamel will take over 3B.

The potential "fly in the ointment" is Mora's no trade clause. But guys have waived those before.

The deal that makes sense this offseason is Hall and Weeks for Roberts and Mora.

From the O's perspective, they get younger at both positions with players they control over multiple seasons.

From the Brewer perspective, they get better production at both positions in the short term with 2 expiring contracts at positions they are positioned to fill internally by 2010 when Escobar will force Hardy to 2B and Gamel will take over 3B.

The potential "fly in the ointment" is Mora's no trade clause. But guys have waived those before.

I would be 100% for this trade, but I don't think Baltimore would go for it. It seems too lopsided in favor of the Brewers, even with the salary discrepancy. Maybe if Weeks and Hall start to produce more in the final weeks of this season (big if), it could get done. As for Mora's no trade clause, I would think he'd be ok with going to a playoff contender.

I'm not sure how well Huff plays 3B, but he did clear waivers, and would be a nice fit at the hot corner if he can play it decently.

This.

I mentioned it earlier and the chances of it happening are like bad, but I would LOVE to get Huff.

.304-27-87

.927 OPS

I'm not sure how well Huff plays 3B, but he did clear waivers, and would be a nice fit at the hot corner if he can play it decently.

I love Huff too. Everything I've seen is that he's better defensively than his reputation. But he's putting up near MVP type numbers and even though he's a FA after next year, I think Baltimore would want a lot in return for him. He'd be a great July 09 pickup.

I appreciate any trade offer, as I've come to realize there are numerous angles to many of these fan-contrived deals, however, the Orioles would not trade BRob for Hall and Weeks alone, much less adding Mora.

Hall is not that good of a player to want back, and Weeks has not shown that he'll fulfill his considerable promise. I understand the financial parameters, but regardless, the O's will want real strong talent to deal BRob, and rightfully so.

Think Escobar, think Gamel, as the sort of talented youngsters we'd want back, and it becomes more clear that the odds of a Brewers deal for Roberts becomes unlikely.

Aubrey Huff is a player that could garner interest from a number of teams this offseason or at the deadline next year, and as an observant fan I can tell you that Huff has changed something at the plate and looks great. It's unlikely we deal either player, but they both have varying degrees of strong value to a contender.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Vague story, but ESPN listed JJ Hardy, Jack Wilson and Khalil Greene as possible trade targets for Baltimore today.

Baltimore is reportedly shopping Ramon Hernandez and Daniel Cabrera - but those players were not linked to Milwaukee in the story.

Bringing back Cameron for one year at $10 million only makes any sense if you are going all out to win in 2009. It also limits you to the infield for finding that lefty swinging high average, leadoff type bat they so desperately need. For that reason, the Brewers should be going hard after Roberts if not both Roberts and Mora.

Maybe Weeks and Hall isn't enough to get Roberts and Mora, but it shouldn't take Hardy or Escobar to get Roberts for one year.

How about Weeks and either Heether or McGehee for Roberts?

Any offer for Hardy has to start with Markakis. Hardy and Hart for Roberts and Markakis? Now that would be a blockbuster.

Baltimore would have to be incredibly stupid to trade Markakis. He's a great player. I'd probably trade any one player on the Brewers to get him.
Yup. Until this year I thought Hart had as much value. Worse obp, better power and speed. No more. Markakis is the superior player. Plus, like the owner, he's Greek. He ain't going nowhere.

The only player of real value on the Orioles is Jeremy Guthrie. I would consider trading any Brewer position player for him. But the Orioles can't trade him either; they are desperate for pitching and Guthrie is good and cheap.

Wow I had no idea Guthrie is 29. Strange that he didn't break into the majors regularly until age 28. The fact that he'll be 30 makes him less attractive IMO... Wouldn't trade Prince, Hardy etc for him I don't think.

Guthrie was 1st round pick by the Indians in 2002. He was a college boy, didn't sign until after the 2002 season and so started his professional career in 2003 already 24. They tried to shoot him through the minors, rushing him to AAA each of his first 3 years; promoting him to Cleveland for parts of his 2-4 years, although he hadn't really earned the call up. In '06 he finally stuck in AAA and pitched real well. Then the Indians released him and the Orioles then signed him as a minor league free agent.

He's a legitimate quality major league starter, but you're right, given his age his peak years probably won't last all that long. I would trade Hart and Escobar for him.

Archived