Brewer Fanatic

Trading with Baltimore

GPappas, thanks for the compliment.

As Pete pointed out, the Brewers could not trade Fredrickson at this point, even if they were inclined to - the rules prohibit dealing draft choices during the first year of their contract.

If the O's stick to the shortstop position, I'd bet against a Roberts-to-Milwaukee deal at this point. If the Brewers thought Alcides Escobar was going to be an average major league shortstop, maybe they don't worry too much about it - but they don't, they think he's going to be a star. That mindset will make it very tough for Mr MacPhail to get what he wants, since dealing Hardy would make no sense at this point either in a "win-now" trade for Milwaukee.

No one could question the impact Roberts might have on the Brewers, he's a perfect fit for what the Brewers need right now, and they've already announced, "We're going for it." On top of that, the Brewers would have no position for Weeks if they added Roberts, and both sides know that, so Weeks' impact on the deal may be compromised. All of these things put the Orioles in the driver's seat on this one, they will get a very solid return if they do this now, probably better than most Brewers fans would hope for.

That is why I think this will not happen at this point. I think when the Brewers break it all down, they'll decide Roberts is too expensive, regardless of his ability, and they'll go for a less-expensive alternative. I expect the two teams to get into this issue in November.

I am a well-versed draft guy, but was simply not paying attention w/Fredrickson... my bad.

Another in a series of good posts. Thanks for the thoughts.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know endaround pointed this out at some point, but I don't see Hardy moving willingly. He'd cost himself millions long-term by not sticking at shortstop.

I would say yes if he were to move to 3B. But if he moves to 2B I would say he would be in fine shape.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I have my doubts about Roberts mostly because Angelos has been such an idiot about the whole idea of trading him. That aside I have this feeling that "going for it" this year and Brian Roberts looks like sabotaging next year's team and the one after that. In principle I'm for getting Roberts, but it sure seems like that the price is not going to be a good match.

I would say yes if he were to move to 3B. But if he moves to 2B I would say he would be in fine shape.

Why? At short he's Micheal Young, at 2B he's Mark Grudzielanik.

That doesn't make any sense to me. So if you move Young to 2B, then he would be Grudzielanek, and if you move Grudzielanek to SS he would be Michael Young. Not to disrespect, but I guess I'm not buyin' it. I don't see Hardy's value changing much with a move to 2B.

Weeks is better at his age than Roberts was at that age.

The Brewers are playing .627 ball their last 51 games, basically a third of the season. That's a 101-102 win pace for an entire season. I don't think you trade off your 25 man roster, especially not a starting player, when the team is doing this well. Trading Weeks or Hardy would be more appropriate consideration in the offseason, when GM's can take the time to work on longer multi player deals.

Yes that's is what I'm saying, at short Hardy is a possible All Star if he gets a good year with his average, at 2B he would be at best a solid start assuming a line for Hardy of around .260/.330/.440 on average. Utley, Kinsler. and Uggla play 2B along with Hudson, Pedroia, Roberts, and Phillips. Throw in Johnson and perhaps Cano comes back and you have Hardy falling way down. At short you have Ramirez who should be moved, and then only Reyes and Rollins who should definitely be better. Now Hardy is pretty much in a group of like 5-6 other players that will vary from year to year, but he's going to be a strong option in free agency no matter what.

How about Hernan Irabarren for Sherrill? Maybe throw in someone like Ozzie Chavez or Callix Crabbe too? The Orioles would like middle infield prospects, especially if they trade Roberts, as they should.

I may be willing to give up Escobar for Sherrill, but the Orioles would have to throw back something decent. I think the Rauch trade kind of set the bar for relievers.

from Ken Rosenthal: The Orioles are taking a look at the Brewers' Triple A team, but it is believed that they are reluctant to part with more prospects.

Who do we have in AAA that would be good enough to get Sherrill? I'm not a big Sherrill supporter (especially as of late), but if we can get him for a fringe major leaguer, it'd be nice to have another lefty in the pen not named Shouse or Stetter. That would also solve the 8th inning problem.

"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I read somewhere that they are looking for either a SS or OF, and I wonder of a Pena, Gwynn deal would work? Even though I would have a tough time giving up Luis Pena.

After looking at the box score last night for the Sounds, I saw that Nelson hit a HR and double, and Dillard and Pena both pitched well. I would have to think that they would be looking at some combination of Pena, Gwynn, Dillard, Nelson and Hernan. Two of those seems like it might be enough to get a deal done.

I don't get all the attention for Sherrill. He only had one good season (granted, it was very good). This year he's not much better than an average reliever. His strikeouts are way down and his walks are way up, and he's 31 years old so it's not like he has his best years ahead of him.

This is the only question you have to ask yourself. Is Sherrill better than Mota and Gagne and the answer is yes.

I could see a package of Pena, Stetter doing it or one of those two with Nelson and a West Virginia player with a lower ceiling getting it done.

We can't go into the playoffs with what we have. If we have to overpay a little who really cares if we make the playoffs and can make a little noise. The playoff revenue will offset the loss of a decent prospect. This team only has a window of a couple of years at most. This year is the year. It's not realistic to think we will have a battery to match Sheets and CC for another 20 years or so. If a prospect isn't going to help us this year or next at this point they are expendable. Next year might even be too late.

Sherrill is definitely a better option than a guy like Mota as jackalope said. And if the Orioles are really scouting our AAA team, their expected return can't be all that high, as there's nothing in AAA right now that I would hesitate to part with.

Not sure if it was edited, but that Rosenthal report now says Baltimore is scouting the Brewers' AA team. And sure, Sherrill is a better option than Mota, but so are some options in the minors. To justify giving up what it would take to get a top reliever, he'd have to be a significant upgrade. Sherrill isn't significantly better than anyone on the Brewers besides Mota (Note: I'm expecting Gagne to be serviceable this half, obviously that isn't a given).

Odds are pretty decent someone like Mark DiFelice, Luis Pena or Mitch Stetter could give you the 1.4+ whip from here on out that Sherrill has so far this season.

According to TH, Melvin says the Brewers are NOT in the Sherrill race as the O's would want JJ or Escobar in return (Hahahaha!).

Melvin also says "I don't think so" when asked about whether the Brewers will be adding another bullpen arm before the first trade deadline. Interesting update.

George Sherill isn't good; he is slightly above average. His closest comparables (as per baseball reference) are as follows:

1. Kelly Wunsch (989)

2. Fred Green (974)

3. Scott Ruskin (974)

4. Jim Faulkner (973)

5. Kevin Hickey (971)

6. Gary Wayne (970)

7. Dave Leiper (970)

8. Tony Castillo (969)

9. Ken Lehman (969)

10. Mark Lee (968)

Not exactly an awe inspiring group, huh? His WHIP is 1.42 this year! That's not good--that is a almost a baserunner and a half per inning. His ERA, which is approaching 4 these days by the way, figures to go up, not down, given his peripherals.

Yes, he is better than Mota, but so what? There are probably 4-5 relievers on every major league roster that are better than Mota. I really, really, hope the Brewers are smart enough not to give up a legit prospect (or Weeks like one of the guys on the pregame showing was throwing out there) for a guy whose value is inflated because of one meaningless stat--the gross number of saves he has accrued this season. I'm not against going after a reliever, but unless the asking price is next to nothing (which it isn't) I don't want it to be Sherrill.

Archived