Brewer Fanatic

Seriously now, what up with Prince?

cruiserx43
This will probably be a rather unpopular thread; I know his numbers are coming around a bit now, but I am sure that many on this forum thought he would be a bit more. The guy looks heavier than I have ever seen him. If that's what a no meat diet does to a man good lord. I guess I am not as worried about his stick as I am his defense and overall health. He is all about 24 years old. I know some of these things have been hinted at and suggested in other threads, I just wanted to get some concentrated feedback. Should we be looking to unload this guy soon?

Amazing how much Fielder's weight fluctuates! His recent cold steak must have added 20lbs!

As concerned as the team should be, isn't Prince weighed on a somewhat regular bases as part of his contract and fined if he is a certain amount above the agreed weight??

Amazing how much Fielder's weight fluctuates! His recent cold steak must have added 20lbs!

I can't wait for Prince to get hot again so he loses more weight -- what a yo-yo diet! In all seriousness, the concerns about Fielder this season seem 100% tied to whether or not he hit a HR in the last few days. 50 HR in 2007... fans got spoiled.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

There's nothing wrong with being concerned about Prince.s weight in general. The silliness begins when people try to tie his weight to his current numbers. A week ago, his hitting line was better than Braun's!

Baseball fans are crazy.

Beside the weight and the down power numbers, I think the realization that we're not going to be able to hang on to him at the same as we do Hart and Sheets (or whomever) makes people trigger-happy. We're not keeping him for his glove, that's for sure, but I'm fine with letting things play out.

I think the realization that we're not going to be able to hang on to him at the same as we do Hart and Sheets (or whomever) makes people trigger-happy.
I agree with that. We still have him for another 3.5 years at a decent rate...enjoy it already Brewer Fans!!! That's a lifetime in baseball time. If a high 200's average, 35 HRs and 100 RBIs doesn't do it for you...I don't know what will...and that could be in a "down" year.

I agree with that. We still have him for another 3.5 years at a decent rate...enjoy it already Brewer Fans!!! That's a lifetime in baseball time. If a high 200's average, 35 HRs and 100 RBIs doesn't do it for you...I don't know what will...and that could be in a "down" year.

I agree we should enjoy Prince while he is here. That line that you put up just seems like a pipe dream to me.

Since today is the halfway point it would be easy to extrapolate the stats for the entire season.

Prince Fielder's line would be .271/.358/.488/.846 with 32 HR's and 84 RBI's. That is a pretty good line. But not really for a first baseman. And not really for a player that has hit in the #3 or #4 spot all season. His .227 AVG/.830 OPS with runners in scoring position also leaves alot to be desired as does his .154 avg/.735 OPS with 2 outs and runners in scoring position.

Add into the fact that his defense is a major liability in the field and one might say that Prince Fielder has actually hurt this team more than he has helped it half way through the season.

Now just because a player has a bad half season does not mean that they should be traded. I don't think a Prince trade should be discussed for at least another 1.5 years. However I think there definitely should be discussion about what is going on with Prince. I am just suprised that a moderator has not locked this thread yet and told everyone that there have been about 50 created and still open just like it.

Hear hear. Prince has 'struggled' the past two weeks to the tune of an .803 OPS. That's right, this guy gets cold and posts an OPS over .800. Enjoy it!

Why don't we get a thread started when he mashes for basically the entire month of June? (.924 OPS with just a .270 BABIP)? Oh, right, because he's supposed to do that, right?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Seriously? Another one of these threads. Can someone please find me a dead horse so I can give it a good kick or thirty six.

Isn't complaining about people complaining about Prince and his weight/power/Ipod dowloads part of the same carcass? As is complaining about people complaining about people complaining. It's the Prince Fielder Mobius Strip. But seriously, moaning is my Brewers birthright, and better to be moaning about Prince than about Jeffrey Hammonds. Speaking of dead horses.

Braun: .287/.322/.552/.874

Prince: .271/.358/.488/.847

Braun has hit a little better than Prince = Prince is a major disappointment and it would be a travesty if Braun doesn't START in the All Star game.

This is where someone says, "What about RBIs!!!??" and I remember why it ain't worth it...

Prince Fielder's line would be .271/.358/.488/.846 with 32 HR's and 84 RBI's. That is a pretty good line. But not really for a first baseman.

How about for a guy making less than a million?

His .227 AVG/.830 OPS with runners in scoring position also leaves alot to be desired as does his .154 avg/.735 OPS with 2 outs and runners in scoring position.

I don't think it's fair to post his numbers in specific situations and make them sound worse by comparing them to overall numbers. I don't see any reason why we couldn't expect the line that SoCal put up. He had a full year where he dominated, and then a half year with a "bad" .846 OPS. I wouldn't call 35 homers and 100 rbi's some kind of pipe dream. The rbi's are going to depend more on the guys in front of him anyways.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

rluzinski wrote:

This is where someone says, "What about RBIs!!!??" and I remember why it ain't worth it...

Don't forget that Braun is close to the league lead in HR.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Prince Fielder's line would be .271/.358/.488/.846 with 32 HR's and 84 RBI's. That is a pretty good line. But not really for a first baseman.

Prince's OPS is 10th among 1B. If you look at a stat that incorporates playing time like RC, he is 8th. So he is performing at a rate above the average for first baseman this year.

Add into the fact that his defense is a major liability in the field and one might say that Prince Fielder has actually hurt this team more than he has helped it half way through the season.

I seriously doubt that you can support that.

Prince is providing great value to the team this year. The fact that much of it comes from not swinging his bat makes him appear less valuable to some than the triple crown stats of HR and RBI.

...isn't Prince weighed on a somewhat regular bases as part of his contract and fined if he is a certain amount above the agreed weight?
I haven't heard anything about the team doing this, especially during the season. Although I can't be sure, it seems that at one point or another, the Brewers may have been using fines if players reported overweight to Spring Training, though.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived