Brewer Fanatic

I'm now convinced that the Brewers should trade for Sabathia

Trading for Sabathia doesn't guarantee trading LaPorta and/or Gamel.

If the Brewers could pull off a deal without adding one of those two, then I would be ok with it. It just seems very unlikely at this point that any deal would not have to include one of them.

Community Moderator

I want Sabathia.

I know that it will possibly put us at a disadvantage down the road. I know that it doesn't guarantee anything.

But...I've been waiting my whole life for the Brewers to be in the playoffs. By the trade deadline, I'm convinced that we will be in the WC lead and in a better position to make the playoffs than last year. We have our offensive flaws, but trading for Sabathia will make us the WC favorite (if we aren't already) and will give us a decent shot to take on the Cubs. Furthermore, having Sheets and Sabathia as the 1-2 will give us a playoff combination that could potentially lead us to the World Series the way that Schilling and Johnson did for the D-backs.

The main issue is that a playoff appearance will have a huge positive impact on the franchise for the next 3-4 years. This impact will be greater than any potential impact of the prospects that may/may not pan out. By calling multiple prospects up to the majors, we are also risking a year or two of struggle while the new guys become adjusted to the big leagues. Playoffs would give us a tremendous amount of additional revenue which could be used to go after free agents or foreign players who could have an immediate impact in 2009. It could give us money to sign Fielder and Hart--prospects can't do that.

Of course...we could get Sabathia and miss the playoffs. But that's the risk you have to take--we're not going to be in this position every year.

Lee is a good player, but he is not on Sabathia's level. Lee has never had a season with an OPS over 900, the one thing that Lee has going for him is his health, which drives his counting stats way up. With Sabathia, alot of teams are bidding for his services, so someone is going to be offering a ton, which in turn will force the Brewers to put Laporta, or Gamel in the deal to get him.

I would be very excited if the Brewers got Sabathia. The price may be steep, but if the Brewers have to part with some players that might be contributers in 2010 then so be it.

A 1-2 punch of Sheets and Sabathia could do some serious damage in the post season.

I am all for trading for CC but i don't want to give up Gamel or LaPorta. I truely see them being part of the future of the Brewers and leading the franchise to a lot of Championships. Doug Melvin in a recent interview said that there are some untouchables in the minor leagues and i think Gamel and LaPorta are as close to untouchables as you can have.

Melvin also said that giving up quantity is the approach he would use. That would signal that he will give up a bunch of the other high level and mid level prospects. I would say Escobar, Brantley, Salome, Gillespie, Cain and Braddock/Jeffress would get it done. The Indians have very few position player prospects and i think that they would take a deal involving a few or if not all of those players listed above.

I do agree that C.C and Sheets would be a nearly unbeatable rotation for the stretch run but Gamel and LaPorta are going to be All Star players and part of the Young corps of players that will lead the future of the Milwaukee Brewers. Its not worth giving them up for 2 months of C.C without a guarantee they will win a championship.

The main issue is that a playoff appearance will have a huge positive impact on the franchise for the next 3-4 years.

What impact will that be? Attendance will certainly go up next year if this year's team goes to the playoffs, but I don't see fans two years from now buying tickets based on making a playoff appearance this year.

Playoffs would give us a tremendous amount of additional revenue which could be used to go after free agents or foreign players who could have an immediate impact in 2009. It could give us money to sign Fielder and Hart--prospects can't do that.

I'm not sure that's true. It all depends on how far they make it. MLB gets a cut of the ticket revenue. As far as money and prospects, there is a monetary benefit in prospects in that their bonus has been paid for by another team.

Archived