Brewer Fanatic

Power 50 Discussion -- The July 1st Edition

And That
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Their OPS's are all but identical, and Brantley has a higher OXS.
Are you talking career or this year? Green smoked Brantley's numbers at WVA - yes he was a year older.

I think Green is a touch too high and Brantley a touch too low but I'd put them about 8 - 9 and probably interchangable.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Their OPS's are all but identical, and Brantley has a higher OXS.
Are you talking career or this year? Green smoked Brantley's numbers at WVA - yes he was a year older.

I think Green is a touch too high and Brantley a touch too low but I'd put them about 8 - 9 and probably interchangable.

Just for fun.. I think the Brewers should promote Bell to AAA so Green can play 2b at Huntsville for the rest of the year:

Brantley

Escobar

Gamel

Laporta

Salome

Green

Gillepsie

Errecart

They might average 10 runs a game.

Mark Rogers... Cody Scarpetta... Nick Tyson...

Those three dropping off the list hurt for me. I can't say you are wrong - but I had (still have) hopes.

Green plays two defensive positions adequately (3B and 2B)

Brantley doesn't play any that well yet.

Its about time my year and a half of pimping Gamel paid off!

Mark Rogers... Cody Scarpetta... Nick Tyson...

Those three dropping off the list hurt for me. I can't say you are wrong - but I had (still have) hopes.

Well, Scarpetta is in an entirely different boat than the other two. He'll only go up, and is similar to Nieves in that he's really a 2nd/3rd round-type talent.

Nice to see Stefan Wilson finally getting some love - how about one for the smart guys!

Too many draft picks on there. I didn't see 4th/5th/8th round picks debuting on the Power 50 in years past. I won't get excited about college players until they show something above rookie league. Dykstra's too high, and none of the other draft picks below him on the list should be there. Not yet at least. Question on Dennis - since he was drafted in 2006, how long before they have to protect him? Two years?

Brewer and Ford aren't in my top 30. How Nelson isn't above Brewer is beyond me. Top 12 are solid though; below that is a lot of question marks.

EDR must be in mourning. Taps for Chuckie F.

Too many draft picks on there. I didn't see 4th/5th/8th round picks debuting on the Power 50 in years past. I won't get excited about college players until they show something above rookie league.

Hopefully Komatsu gets that chance soon. I think he's easily one of the 50 best prospects in the system.

Gillespie needs to be promoted to AAA. Cain can play in AA in his place.

Gillespie is unlikely to ever make it to Milwaukee. He might as well try to maximize his trade value in AAA.

(Honestly, he is 9 - 0 in stole base attempts. He 47 walks to 67 strikeouts. He has an OPS of .866 and 10 HR. He might be a poor man's Corey Hart.)

Question on Dennis - since he was drafted in 2006, how long before they have to protect him? Two years?

I'm pretty sure the Brewerfan profile is wrong. He was drafted last year.

MILB and baseball-reference both confirm that he was drafted in the 13th round in 2007.

Gillespie needs to be promoted to AAA. Cain can play in AA in his place.

Gillespie is unlikely to ever make it to Milwaukee. He might as well try to maximize his trade value in AAA.

(Honestly, he is 9 - 0 in stole base attempts. He 47 walks to 67 strikeouts. He has an OPS of .866 and 10 HR. He might be a poor man's Corey Hart.)

I think your idea has merit, but Gillespie and Hart aren't really similar players. Gillespie isn't nearly as fast as Hart, and is a mini-LaPorta in terms of plate approach, while Hart is much more of a "pure hitter".

I feel bad seeing Rogers fall off the list. I was hopeful his recovery would follow the Parra recovery and not JM Gold. I still have my fingers crossed. By all accounts, he's a competitor, so this has to be quite hard on him.

Fryer was certainly in consideration...and he will probably be on there in July...he's really on;y beeen super hot over the last 2 weeks, so his stats were not eye popping until very recently

there's still no word on whether he's willing to accept "Eggs" as a nickname.
Actually, I asked him, and he's not a big fan. Does that mean we have to stop calling him that?

Absolutely not. Sometimes acceptance just comes with time and repetition!

Fill me in. Why "Eggs?"

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
REACH!!!
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think your idea has merit, but Gillespie and Hart aren't really similar players.
I didn't articulate very well.

I meant that they were similar in that they were never the top prospects - but kept putting up quality numbers.

We actually should have a thread devoted to Michael Brantley -- I don't think any prospect in the system generates more debate.

I really like the guy (as I think everyone that visits this forum does, obviously to varying degrees), and I think where he is ranked on the P50 is actually a compliment, not a knock. I love his polish and how well he has performed throughout his pro career relative to his age, but it's not like he's without some serious, legitimate questions about his future potential.

Every prospect has warts, but the lack of power (even though it has improved) and some questions about his defense (the lack of arm strength and questions about whether or not he's a true fit for CF) limits his future potential. Of all the team's prospects, I feel he's one of the more likely to make it to and stick at the big-league level, but ranking prospects is always about that subjective balance of talent/tools, production and age relative to level.

Colby, look back at the archived P50's, and you'll see nicer things said about Krynzel than Brantley...he's simply oodles better, but I guess he's overlooked because he's not a #1 pick.

Stat guys love Mike Brantley. I'll hold the banner for him until the others come around.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Archived