Brewer Fanatic

DiFelice Sent Down to AAA, Gagné Up

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brewers record on May 23 (when Gagne went on the DL) 22 - 26

Brewers record on June 29 (when Gange is activated from the DL) 44-37

That is a 22-11 record without Gagne in the bullpen. Coincidence?

Yep, I do think it is a coincidence. The Brewers only lost 3 games he appeared in in the past month since he has been out Mota has factored in at least 3 losses too. There are a lot of other factors. I like the idea of a bullpen with Gagne, Riske, and Mota all ready to work in the 7th and 8th.

Gagne getting hurt did help in letting us see Torres as a closer, but I really do not think it factored into our being 11 games over.

Unless Gagne's absence had something to do with Branyan and Hart's combined 22 HR in that time, Bush lowering his ERA by a run and a half, Parra by about a run, and McClung outperforming Villanueva, I'd say it's pretty much coincidence.

Let's keep in mind that lefthanded hitters hit .421/.421/1.053 vs. DiFelice. Sure he didn't pitch badly, but he was used in non pressure situations and as those splits indicate, he was no puzzle to lefthanded hitters.

I'm more interested in the success he had against righties, which would be his key role. He basically gave up 4 HR in 19 AB against lefties. He didn't give up any doubles, he didn't walk any of them. I think it's fairly harsh to judge him based on 4 events. As far as non-pressure situations, who would you rather see in a pressure situation Gagne or DeFelice? After all, DeFelice only had a .333 OPS allowed vs righties in his 36 ABs against them.

DiFelice posted a 3.95 ERA in 10 appearances, striking out 16 without a walk over 13 2-3 innings.

Gagne meanwhile has pitched 19 innings with 16 walks and a 6.98 ERA.

I don't give a crap how much money he makes he shouldn't be allowed near the mound.

I think it's fairly harsh to judge him based on 4 events.

Nuh uh! It's easier to just say 'He stinks!'

I agree, DeFelice gets hosed. Hopefully Gagne can come back & help the Brewers in innings 6-8.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Unfortunately, this is one of those instances where 'getting paid' and 'earning' are not synonymous. Although, I guess I can't blame Doug for not wanting to admit that the $10 million was a huge waste of money. I have a feeling that DiFelice will be back at some point later in the season.

Meh, give him a few outings, and if he doesn't look good, put him on waivers.

Either:

a) someone claims him

b) he forfeits his money to become a FA

c) he's out of harms way with Turnbow

Option C would be the worst one because he'd still be on our payroll. I wouldn't mind A or B. This is assuming he pitches poorly when he comes back. Heck, maybe he'll be the answer to our current hole in 8th inning relief.

Option C would be the worst one because he'd still be on our payroll. I wouldn't mind A or B. This is assuming he pitches poorly when he comes back. Heck, maybe he'll be the answer to our current hole in 8th inning relief.

Better to be on the team's payroll and hurting the Sounds than on the team's payroll and hurting the Brewers.

This is incorrect. If the Brewers outright release Gagne, he gets paid in full. Gagne has 7.1 years of service, at 5 years he gets the right to tell the Brewers to pound sand, refuse any assignment, and keep sending his paycheck.

If he gets claimed -- the claiming team would pay a pro-rated portion of the minimum salary.

The only way the Brewers get off the hook for paying Gagne is if they trade him.

It's a pretty much sunk cost at this point.

Meh, give him a few outings, and if he doesn't look good, put him on waivers.

Either:

a) someone claims him

c) he's out of harms way with Turnbow

Even though I'm a Gagne apologist. I have to agree with this. He has had chances and I'm willing to give him one more, but if he can't get it done now he is no good to our playoff chase. But I'm hoping and thinking he can be an effectice 7th or 8th inning guy. But Torres has to stay the closer.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

We bring Gagne back to take DeFelice's non-pressured situations. I don't think it can hurt that much, and if by some miracle he finds himself in the 2nd half, maybe he becomes a type B free agent. Pie in the sky? Probably.

My prediction: Gange blows at least one lead in Arizona, the team slips into a bit of a funk over the next couple weeks and don't pick up ground on St. Louis or the Cubs; and Ned loses his job over the All Star break.

Archived