Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Golfers face armed robbery on 16th tee; update 3rd hole, Tripoli...

RyDogg66

http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=1&date=6/29/2008&id=42398

A party of six, four golfers and two caddies, had reached the 16th tee at Brynwood Country Club shortly after 11 a.m. Saturday when a lone gunman emerged from nearby woods and said, "Give me your money," police said.

Armed with a handgun and covering his face with a mask, the gunman robbed two of the golfers and one of the caddies before fleeing into the woods at the club, located at 6200 W. Good Hope Road.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The same thing happened in Chicago last summer. Stuff like this happens in big cities.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I really carry little money with me when I golf ($20 for drinks). They would be better off stealing my clubs.

this is so true. i got my car stolen a few years back. random crap like CD's stolen, but the bag with ping irons and titleist woods was still in the trunk...unreal.

This happens enough at Brynnwood that the club is struggling for members. The club has primarily had Jewish members, but in recent years began working hard at trying to draw in any new members that they could. It's ashame, because it's a great course. The neighborhood just isn't very good, and it's enough to scare away folks that are willing to pay good money for an exclusive course.

This is about 6 blocks south of the village (city?) of Brown Deer and 12 ish blocks West of Brown Deer Golf Course (which is in Milwaukee)

The neighborhood isn't the best, Brown Deer is kinda getting bad too

This happened 3 or so years ago at Lincoln Park Golf Course, but I think a guy got beat up

Tripoli is also right there

I think Brynwood's demise started two decades ago when rich folks started moving north to Mequon and Cedarburg.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

When I was growing up in Baltimore, I used to play at this course called Forest Park. There was a long par 5 on the back nine that ran parallel to a huge housing project. The tee shot was blind; your drive would land over the crest of a hill. When you got there, your ball would be gone -- temporarily. Little kids would scoop them up and then make you buy them back for a dollar apiece.

The Baltimore police chief was robbed there on the fourth tee, which was near a busy street. There was some question about whether he could/should have been packing heat at the time, but his response was something along the lines of, "I don't think it would be wise for an avid golfer to bring a handgun onto a golf course."

This happens enough at Brynnwood that the club is struggling for members. The club has primarily had Jewish members, but in recent years began working hard at trying to draw in any new members that they could. It's ashame, because it's a great course. The neighborhood just isn't very good, and it's enough to scare away folks that are willing to pay good money for an exclusive course.

Could have something to do with the $10k-$20k initiation fee too. There are enough other great golf courses around that don't require that kind of change.

When you got there, your ball would be gone -- temporarily. Little kids would scoop them up and then make you buy them back for a dollar apiece.
We pulled similar hijinx at Hansen Golf Course in Wauwatosa. I believe it was the 4th hole. We'd hide in the woods and if someone hit the green in one we'd run out and grab their ball. The better the shot the more PO'd the guy would be. It was pretty funny at the time. Would annoy the crap out of me if someone did that to my ball - since I have so few good shots.

olliegjw, not totally true. If you're under 40, most of the clubs charge a junior rate, even if families aren't members there. That's usually around $2000-2500. One friend joined Ozaukee that way, and he's 28, at a club, and plays twice a week. With 25 or so rounds, he's paid for his investment, and the rest of the rounds are free after that.

When you got there, your ball would be gone -- temporarily. Little kids would scoop them up and then make you buy them back for a dollar apiece.
We pulled similar hijinx at Hansen Golf Course in Wauwatosa. I believe it was the 4th hole. We'd hide in the woods and if someone hit the green in one we'd run out and grab their ball. The better the shot the more PO'd the guy would be. It was pretty funny at the time. Would annoy the crap out of me if someone did that to my ball - since I have so few good shots.

It was sort of an accepted part of playing there. You just assumed that you'd have to fork over an extra dollar.

About 10 years ago, my wife and I lived in West Allis. Late in the golf season, I use to jump on Greenfield Golf course around dusk and play a few holes on weeknights when the course was mainly empty. One time I was finishing up and it was getting pretty dark (could hardly see the ball). I was in the parking lot, putting my clubs away.

Two teenage "thug-looking" kids approached me acting suspicious. One was looking nervously around the parking lot while the other asked me if they could "help" me at all. I angrily replied no as I slammed my trunk and anticipated some sort of threat or assault. There was one other car in the far corner of the lot with a golfer who was just about to pull out. Not sure if that was enough to "scare" them off, but I also don't think they really thought through their plan enough as I quickly got in the car before they could build up enough courage to carry out what ever it was that they were thinking of doing.

I never told my wife about this, as she would probably never let me go golfing by myself as the course was closing again.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived