Brewer Fanatic

Calling all parents (Nuk question)

Hammer

Hi Moms and Dads,

Do any of you have any advice on how to get rid of a Nuk from your childs daily habits? My 2 1/2 year old's teeth are starting to move due to his Nuk so we were told to get rid of it immediately. Any hints from the Brewerfan community?

Thanks,

Hammer

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

We were advised to snip the end with a scissors. So we informed our daughter that we would be cutting part of the end off of her Nuk because of germs. Our daughter didn't really like her Nuk after that and she then willingly gave it up.

Good Luck.

Nuk? Is that a common term? Sounds like I'm the only person that never heard of it. I guess I always just called it a pacifier.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I was thinking the same thing when I first read this thread. Everyone seems to have their own name for a pacifier. I for one, if I ever have kids, hope someone slaps me if I start making up nonsense words for baby items.

No disrespect to those of you that call it a "nuk" or a "ninny" or whatever -both of my brothers do- I just want to throw up whenever I hear full-grown adults switch into baby-talk.

I think Nuk is like "Xerox" or "kleenex". Anyhow, our puppy usually ends up swiping all of his brother's pacifiers eventually, so I suppose that will be the easy solution when the time comes.

I for one, if I ever have kids, hope someone slaps me if I start making up nonsense words for baby items.

You could start slapping the good people at Gerber, if you feel so inclined.

NUK

I just want to throw up whenever I hear full-grown adults switch into baby-talk.

It has its purpose like Al points out, pacifier is a hard word for kids, Nuk is easy.

None of my kids were that attached to them. I think we just threw them all out one day.

We made it through nap time (or should I say "afternoon sleep time" for those really advanced non-parents http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif) with about 90 minutes of crying. My son is just really attched to the dang thing for some reason. Oh well, hopefully it is not a long break-up for him... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

my 22 month old uses hers when she sleeps and if she is mad or tired she may go in and grab it out of her bed. I am trying to get her to quit which is proving hard too. The other night she wanted it and she couldnt reach the one in her crib but saw one on her dresser. She starts asking "pease" and pointing at it. I tell her no and she throws herself on the ground "crying", my wife says she feels bad and to let her have it. I just say, let her cry, she will get bored crying and move on. 30 minutes later it "worked".

I stand corrected. I did not know Nuk was a brand name. My brother and his wife call it a ninny though, and I have to assume that's baby talk. In case you can't tell, I don't have an ounce of motherly instinct in my body yet.

We made it through nap time (or should I say "afternoon sleep time" for those really advanced non-parents

Nap is not a made up term. ;)

Once removed, it has to be removed permanently. DO NOT give in to a tantrum because you had a rough day or there's another reason you don't want to deal with the fit. If a child gets a highly-desired item once every 10 times (on average) he tantrums, it becomes like a slot machine, where any fit could produced his beloved Nuk, and he'll tantrum constantly. Tantrums and other problem behavior will quickly extinguish when they don't produce the Nuk. Similarly, don't attend to the tantrum or console the child when he's throwing a fit - he'll learn to put on an act when he wants attention. You absolutely need to provide other preferred items (juice, tickling, playing, praise, praise, praise) initially when the child is being good and not demanding the Nuk at times he'd usually get it, and then gradually fade out the rewards for going Nuk-less. When telling the child he can't have the Nuk, be very matter of fact, don't bargain with him, and don't give in to yelling. Simply state something about how he can't have the Nuk anymore and provide a reason he'll relate to ("big boys don't need those" or something to that effect usually works).

I remember when my parents took mine away. So don't wait that long. It might very well be my first memory. I don't know how old I was, but if I had guess, I'd say 3-4. It was quite traumatic.

Anyway, it might just be why I have a bit of a oral fixation (former smoker, I chew on pens and straws, fingernails, etc). And it also could be why I had to start going to the orthodontist when I was around 8. Take it away now!!! (I'm no parent, so take what I say with a grain of salt)

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

I for one, if I ever have kids, hope someone slaps me if I start making up nonsense words for baby items.

dont worry...it will happen if/when you have kids.

my 2 1/2 year old is extremely attached. we have another coming in august so we are likely going to play the "you have to give them to baby brother" game. our pediatrician is not worried so we are not either...yet

Oh...now I feel really stupid. Asked my wife about this. I was pronouncing it wrong. I guess I never saw the word in writing (I was reading it like nuck..you know rhymes with..well...you know). I've heard of a nuk before. Had no idea it was a brand name.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

As others have said, just be firm and rational with your child. By 2 1/2 most know their days with the Nuk are numbered and will do anything to hold on as long as possible. Make sure they know they are big enough where they don't need it but babies do. Then suggest your child give their Nuk's to a neighbor baby.

My son still talks about giving his Nuks to the baby next door and feels very good about it.

It was amazing, after a few weeks of letting him know he wouldn't have the Nuk much longer - one firm conversation ended it and there hasn't been a call for it since. Good luck.

DO NOT give in to a tantrum because you had a rough day or there's another reason you don't want to deal with the fit.
If only Brian thought of that before giving a certain someone his precious Power Nuk back.

Boom! Take that one Toby!

I just want to throw up whenever I hear full-grown adults switch into baby-talk.

I can mostly agree with that sentiment. But I do find it a little funny to hear this coming from someone with the screen name ewizabeff http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

What worked for me, and I waited too long to do, was to get my son to the dentist. We waited untile he was a little over 3 years old and he had 9 cavities due drinking a lot of juice and then using the NUK. I would wean your child to just using it for naps and at night and when you go to the dentist, put them all in a plastic bag and have your child give them to the dentist so the dentist can give them to the "other babies" that need them. Worked perfectly.

Hey all,

Thanks for the suggestions. He was Nuk free last night for the first time ever and that was not a pleasant experience. We didn't give in and praised the heck out of him this morning (he even got to wear his Brewers gear to daycare...that NEVER happens!). Next up...daddy needs sleep over lunch http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Thanks again,

Hammer

Just throw it away. Within a day or 2, the kid will (hopefully) have forgotten about it.

Agreed.

Her mother took it away from our daughter before she was 1-year old. (She's almost 2 now.) It was a rough few days, but they get over it. And her blankie never leaves her bed unless she's really sick, then I let her have it. But it has to stay on the couch, I just don't want her dragging it around on the floor. Dad lives alone, so he doesn't always clean his floors when he should. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif It's not a mess by any means, but hardwood floors can get dusty very quickly.

My sister on the other hand, her daughter is almost one year older than mine. She still lets her have the "nuk" and carry around that dirty filthy blanket every where she goes. Don't get me started on the chocolate milk and the candy. But that's a different story.

Besides what they say about the teeth movement, I believe taking away the "nuk" early helps them develop quicker, both with their independence and speech. Maybe it doesn't, but my daughter is already more of a "big girl" than my sister's daughter.

EDIT: We've always called it a "pacifier", but it really doesn't matter.

Hey all,

Thanks for the suggestions. He was Nuk free last night for the first time ever and that was not a pleasant experience. We didn't give in and praised the heck out of him this morning (he even got to wear his Brewers gear to daycare...that NEVER happens!). Next up...daddy needs sleep over lunch http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Thanks again,

Hammer

I guess I should have read the entire thread first.

That's great!!

Now I would watch out so he doesn't discover his thumb can do the same thing as his pacifier used to do. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

We found a great way to rid the little ones of the nuk. We have two little ones and with both of them we took the nuk to build a bear and had them pick out whatever bear or other animal they wanted. Then when they stuffed the bear we had them place the nuk inside the bear. This way they still had their nuk by them they just couldn't put it in their mouths. We kept telling them that if they missed their nuk just hug their bear and it would be right there. They can also feel it inside the bear so it's reassuring to them that it is still there.

Hope this helps...I know how hard this whole process can be.

Archived