Brewer Fanatic

Who replaces Prince at first?

I dont think it is a very good idea to have Laporta play against lefties only. That would only give Laporta something like 25% of the starts, he would be better served getting 550 PA down in Nashville as opposed to 250 in Milwaukee. Not to mention the fact that we have one of the top first basemen(offensivley) in the game for another 3 years. Fielder probably will not get more than 9 million, which you will not get his type of production any cheaper next year.

Until 2012, no one will replace Prince.

amen!

i can't believe the love affair that some of you have for minor leaguers. sure some of them will reach their potential and be the next Braun or Prince, but others will become very average major league players like Hardy or Weeks. You arent going to win and chanpionships with a bunch of average guys. Prince was once the prospect we couldnt wait to get up here. Now he is here and he is the man (though not quite the man he was last year - or is it more of a man? its hard to tell reading all of these Prince has to go threads these days) and we want to get rid of him??

The key to this small market thing is to still have Prince around and bring the next guys up and have them all here together for a while. So, for Princes last 2 or 3 years here he gets to share the lineup with Braun, Hart, Laporta, Gamel, Salome. Thats a tough lineup and that can win a championship...

The problem isn't necessarily love for the minor league guys, its more of the fact that Prince is a valuable commodity tha is replacable. We are going to be in desparate need of pitching next season and Prince could be the way we obtain that pitcher. Lets face it, Prince is our Ryan Braun this year. How much of his offensive production is negated by very poor defense? Laporta or Gamel could come in, be average run producers, play much better defense, and be just as valuable to the team, on top of netting us an above average pitcher and some prospects.

LaPorta is a vlauble commodity. In fact it will be easier to trade LaPorta for starting pitchign than it will Fielder. LaPorta could come in, hit like Weeks his first season and play the same defense.

I agree, but LaPorta will be about 9 million dollars cheaper.

The problem isn't necessarily love for the minor league guys, its more of the fact that Prince is a valuable commodity tha is replacable. We are going to be in desparate need of pitching next season and Prince could be the way we obtain that pitcher. Lets face it, Prince is our Ryan Braun this year. How much of his offensive production is negated by very poor defense? Laporta or Gamel could come in, be average run producers, play much better defense, and be just as valuable to the team, on top of netting us an above average pitcher and some prospects.

so you think that a AA player can step in and replace Fielder next year? in his first year at a new position? 40+ hr, 100+ rbi? possilbe, but very unlikley.

and what about princes effect on the rest of the lineup? how will braun hit w/o fielder? hart? etc...

I also dont see the pitching as "desperate". i still think that can resign sheets (at least make him an offer!) - but if not there is still Gallardo, Parra, Suppan plus lots of money to get another decent guy or 2.

a lineup in 2010 that includes:

1B: Fielder

3B: Gamel

LF: Braun

CF: Hart

RF: Laporta

+ ben sheets every 5th day is a world series team.

take fielder and sheets out of that and add lots of prospects and we are not.

so you think that a AA player can step in and replace Fielder next year? in his first year at a new position? 40+ hr, 100+ rbi? possilbe, but very unlikley.

He actually played 1B all through college. He's an playing 1B in the Future's game. RF is the new position for him. I do not expect him to hit 40+ HR or drive in 100 RBIs. If he is put in the 4 hole, then yes, he would drive in 100 RBIs. If he is 6th or 7th, I'd be very happy with 75-80. I feel he would hit around 20-28 HRs. His defense at first would help narrow the gap between he and prince. The 9 million we would be saving could go to a free agent 3B or OF, or it could be used to help sign Sheets.

1B really is a new position for him. He was a catcher whose knees went. If you want to amek a case that eh Brewers shoudl punt next year if they can't sign Sheets because the pitching won't be there, I can get that. But then Fielder isn't the only one who should be moved, you can add Hardy, Hall, Kendall, Hart if he doesn't sign an extension, Suppan, and Torres.

But then Fielder isn't the only one who should be moved, you can add Hardy, Hall, Kendall, Hart if he doesn't sign an extension, Suppan, and Torres.

I agree to a point, I just don't think they should punt because they lose Sheets. Suppan won't go anywhere because of his contract and why would we trade Torres?

But remember, I'm in the "Trading Sheets doesn't mean we should punt" crowd.

I assume you meant Sheets. And in that case, 'Ahhh... yes.' http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If you want to amek a case that eh Brewers shoudl punt next year if they can't sign Sheets because the pitching won't be there, I can get that. But then Fielder isn't the only one who should be moved, you can add Hardy, Hall, Kendall, Hart if he doesn't sign an extension, Suppan, and Torres.

No, I was referring to trading prince in the offseason. This guy thinks we would be punting 2009 if we did that. I disagree.

Archived