Brewer Fanatic

Who replaces Prince at first?

Okay, I realize this may be a bit premature, but I think it's becoming more and more apparent that Boras isn't going to let Fielder get an extension before he reaches his free agency season.

In my opinion, I think the Brewers would do best to start shopping him around a few years prior to his free agency year, but I still think he has two or three years left as a Brewer. With that said, my main question for this thread is who replaces Fielder at first base? My vote would probably be either Laporta or Gamel, but I think Laporta is going to be pretty much set in right field in Milwaukee by the time Fielder leaves, and frankly, I'd be surprised if they moved Gamel to first.

So what do you guys think? Is the guy who replaces the Prince still not in the orginization?

While Gamel is a little taller and would have a few more inches of reach, LaPorta is the clear answer here. LaPorta has played 1B in the past, even some this year. He also is listed as a 1B for this year's Futures Game.

People may think it a waste of his physical tools, but I wouldn't mind seeing Hart at that position. With the added length and reach may save a few extra errors, not to mention maybe snag a few liners or grounders destined to go for doubles.

kind of a non-answer, but i think it'll either be Gamel or LaPorta, whichever one doesn't get traded away with Jeffress. i'm more partial to LaPorta at 1st, though. he has more power for the position than Gamel does.

From what I have heard, Gamel at least has the tools to stick at third. Gamel has decent range at third, which Braun never had. Gamel, just needs to improve his footwork, and he can stick at third. So far this year, Gamel has looked alot better, so I dont think it is much of a stretch that he will be passable at third sometime next year. As for who plays first once Fielder is gone, I think it has to be Laporta out of the players we currently have.

Hart given his defensive ability in the outfield, would be a waste at first base. If Hart can play center field he is one of the top 3 offensive center fielders in the game, even in right field he is probably in the top 5. At first base, Hart would be just another guy. Gamel's bat is invaluable at third, so you have to give him every chance to prove he can play their. Laporta while he is not terrible in right field, probably will never be more than below average in right field, which leaves left field and first base.

I just gotta believe it's Gamel. I'm very leery of short first basemen, and quite frankly have had enough of them. No, send LaPorta to left, Hart to center, and Braun to right.

Short? LaPorta is listed as either 6'1 or 6'2 (depending on where you look). Not a giant, but I wouldn't call him short.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

From what I have heard, Gamel at least has the tools to stick at third. Gamel has decent range at third, which Braun never had. Gamel, just needs to improve his footwork, and he can stick at third.

that could be, and i'm probably wrong, but i think he lead the league in throwing errors, that is a lot more than a foot work problem if you ask me...

If we don't move any of our top rated prospects. It sounds as if Gamel could play 3rd, but defensive woes may make him a 1st base player. Guess it depends if we can find a real solution to 3rd base. I'd assume LaPorta would play right, and Hart would move to center. Guess we'll hold onto our hats and find out.

My guess is it's someone we haven't heard of yet or someone who is not in the Brewers organization right now.

Or they have a couple of good catching prospects right now. If they don't trade any of them, maybe they move one of those guys to 1B.

They are going to give Gamel every chance to be a 3B. I've heard the same thing as "piccione88". A few weeks ago Powell was talking to a Hunstville beat reporter and they were talking about Gamel. But if he can't smooth out the problems, he'll probably be the one.

LaPorta should stay in the OF, with Braun and Corey. Unless he is a Carlos Lee-type OF, but I don't believe anyone has ever said that about him.

I think we should be patient with Gamel. A lefty power bat at 3rd is pretty valuable. My guess is LaPorta plays a corner OF spot in the Bigs next year. Prince will be a Brewer through '09. Then (unless a long term deal works out), deal Prince and move LaPorta to 1st before the 2010 season. We have a lot of OF prospects to replace LaPorta in the Bigs that could be ready by then. The move back to 1st shouldn't be too hard for LaPorta.

Of course, if one of these guys is traded in the next few weeks, who knows......

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Hate to burst everyones bubble but according to MILB.com, LaPorta is taller then Gamel. LaPorta is listed at 6'2 and Gamel at 6'. The same stats are listed on the Stars website.

We had this discussion on the minor league forum during the offseason, but Gamel is taller than LaPorta. They were both on TV for the team's On Deck event, or whatever they call that thing held at the .300 Club, and a few other people were there as well and confirmed that Gamel is 6'2" and LaPorta is 6' at best. Gamel's height (6'2") was also confirmed by a family member of his.

Never trust listed heights/weights, they're often skewed.

But the answer is LaPorta. Gamel could slide across the diamond, but I think the Brewers are reallly intent on keeping him at 3B for now, and the OF situation is more crowded.

With 14 steals and 8 triples last season and 5 steals and 6 triples already this season, it appears that Gamel has pretty good speed. With that in mind I would assume that his speed would translate into getting to a few more balls in the OF.

With that logic I would say go with Gamel in the OF and LaPorta at 1B.

Hopefully though it will not come to this and Gamel's defense improves enough to stick at 3B and the real easy answer is LaPorta at 1B with Brantley or someone else patroling the OF with Braun and Hart.

Archived