Brewer Fanatic

Computer Programmers

RightFieldCoder
I'm about a year away from getting my AS in Software Application Programming. I was checking to see if anyone here has a similar degree and can give answers I may have.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

At the time I got my AS, the field was referred to as Data Processing. Have since gotten a BA in Business. Now work as a QA Analyst and Software Tester. Many years of experience in the field but not very familiar with VB or Java. So I may be able to answer some questions you have. Why do I feel like I'm sending my resume out?

My first question is whether you have any tips for finding a job. I'm seeing a lot of 2-5 years experience. I don't have a technical degree yet (I do have a BA in Music), but I need to leave my current position and would like to sign an entry level job that could eventually lead to a programming position.

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

My current job wanted prior programming experience too (I had no professional programming experience worth mentioning). I brought along a portfolio with the best programs I had created during my time in school (mainly final projects). If you ever worked with a group of fellow programmers on a project, I'd mention that as well. A ton of what I do is team-based, especially given the fact that there are only 2 programmers where I currently work.

123 gave you good ideas.

Find a recruiter that will help get you leads. They have access to jobs not listed in newspaper or online.

On-line sites are also good.

or move down here where there are more jobs (and become a Cubs fan too http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif )

Good luck

My first question is whether you have any tips for finding a job. I'm seeing a lot of 2-5 years experience. I don't have a technical degree yet (I do have a BA in Music), but I need to leave my current position and would like to sign an entry level job that could eventually lead to a programming position.

Internships. I have hired a few interns and find it to be by far the best onboarding program available. You get experience, the employer gets to vet you. Everyone wins.

I am a Senior Programmer/Analyst at Sentry Insurance in Stevens Point. It seems that they are always looking to add more programmers to their staff, especially if you have an interest in sticking around for a while. They are pretty good at bringing in people for internships or right out of school, so you don't need to have much experience.

I'm currently a Software Engineer at a law firm. I graduated in '92 with a BS from Wisconsin. I ended up sending over 100 resumes out. I ended up working at Piggly Wiggly as a UNIX administrator -- this included writing custom code. 16 years later, I'm very happy with where I'm at.

My point? You may have to go with something that isn't quite in the field you want to pursue. I would reiterate what many others have said: use the Internet job sites. Put your information out there and don't be afraid to use the recruiting services. The recruiters get their money from the employer anyway, so there will be no OOP cost (out of pocket) for you.

I am a Senior Programmer/Analyst at Sentry Insurance in Stevens Point. It seems that they are always looking to add more programmers to their staff, especially if you have an interest in sticking around for a while. They are pretty good at bringing in people for internships or right out of school, so you don't need to have much experience.

Did you know John Heffron?

What kind of programming are you doing in school?

I've taken a VB.net class and I'm currently in a database design class where we'll touch on SQL. Most of my computer experience has been private stuff for friends, off the record work stuff, or me just messing around on my own time. Stuff that doesn't show up very well on a resume.

Did you know John Heffron?

No, doesn't ring a bell. The funny thing is that there are so many people that work at Sentry and of all the times that people ask "Do you know so and so", I think maybe 2% of the time I actually know who it is. I looked him up in the employee direectory and couldn't find him there either.

No, doesn't ring a bell. The funny thing is that there are so many people that work at Sentry and of all the times that people ask "Do you know so and so", I think maybe 2% of the time I actually know who it is. I looked him up in the employee direectory and couldn't find him there either.

Yeah, he subcontracted through us out at Sentry. His gig ended last year.

I am a Programmer/Analyst and Northwestern Mutual and we are always looking for people. If you are truly interested, go to nmfn.com and fill out an online application. If you need any help with anything else, let me know. That is, off course, if you are interested in working in downtown Milwaukee or Franklin.

Archived