Brewer Fanatic

Camping in the area

zingsheim

Hi gang, Trying to get back into the camping game and want your opinions on some near by campsites, state parks or non. Preferably maybe about an hour or less away from Milwaukee. It would be family camping so at least toilets/showers would be great. We go up north about 4 hours away 3 times a summer so just a short weekend trip would be great sometimes. Thanks alot!!

Aaron

Well if you wanted to go a little further than an hour there is a good public campground called Governor Dodge state park by Dodgeville. They have public showers and many trails including a small waterfall. Probably a little far to go though. I believe it is the largest state park in Wisconsin.

Here is a list of state parks and their amenities.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Terrae Andrae outside of Sheboygan is a really nice park approximately an hour north of Milwaukee.

Lake Nagawaukee has some camping sites just off of the Hwy 83 exit in Delafield/Hartland. There isn't anything special about the park, but it's about 30-40 minutes West of Milwaukee, which obviously is convenient.

If you're willing to drive two hours, in addition to Governor Dodge, Mirror Lake and Devil's Lake in Lake Delton and Baraboo respectively are really nice parks with plenty to do in and around those two parks.

There's a Yogi Bear Jellystone park tucked away in Racine that not many people know about. I've never been there, but again the proximity is convenient.

Lake Nagawaukee has some camping sites just off of the Hwy 83 exit in Delafield/Hartland. There isn't anything special about the park, but it's about 30-40 minutes West of Milwaukee, which obviously is convenient.

Here's some more info on the camp grounds.

I've camped at Bong park before. I can't describe the general facillities because whenever I went camping I "roughed" it sans electricity or running water. And Bong is not very far away if you live on the south side of Milwaukee county.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Archived