Brewer Fanatic

From the Nats - Rauch and Boone for Hall?

Jon Rauch and Aaron Boone (as a platoon guy only) for Hall? Rauch has been pretty good as a reliever Aaron is just kind of filling in Hall's current role in an OK fashion (play OK D and with the platoon advantage he's been pretty solid on the OBP side).

(more specific subject -TC)

Just a proposal. Hall gives them something to plug into the line-up and regain some value over the medium term. I was mostly just looking over their roster for parts that might be useful and that was about all I could find. I wouldn't take an issue with including another moderate prospect, since I think Rauch would be fairly significant for us.

Mota since he is still pitching in the majors might draw some mild interest I would think. I hadn't seen Rauch's name come up before and he is clearly the most intriguing player. Keeping in mind that we are dealing with Jim Bowden what would fair compensation look like?

Not to mention what Inman and Garrison turn into. The jury will be out on the Linebrink trade for 5 years. If Evan Frederickson becomes Jonathan Broxton from the left side, will you feel the same way? Or if Inman and Garrison aren't good?

If we are going to say the jury is out until "these players" turn into something, we could be doing this until 2030. Then we might as well argue Doug blew resigning Linebrink because we could use him now instead of Mota, Gags, Turnbow, Tavarez...and any more reclamation projects we sign.

Anyhow, looking at the trade so far, it is a fleecing.

Melvin has made two horrific trades with Zona and the Pads in his last two deals.

The Arizona deal turned out to be a stinker, but how can you possibly judge the Padres deals without seeing what the comp picks turn into?

How is the Zona trade a stinker. Davis was going to get a big raise and was showing some wear, and he is not worth the money he is getting. Krynzel is lost in space some where. Eveland did nothing for D Backs and only a change of scenery helped him get his head on. It is not like we gave away guys that were helping the team.

How is the Zona trade a stinker. Davis was going to get a big raise and was showing some wear, and he is not worth the money he is getting. Krynzel is lost in space some where. Eveland did nothing for D Backs and only a change of scenery helped him get his head on. It is not like we gave away guys that were helping the team.

You're talking about the trade then, and I'm talking about it now. That's why I said that it turned out to be a stinker, not was one at the time. Part of grading trades, at least in my opinion, is how the evaluation of the talent worked out in the end. That's how you ultimately evaluate a GM being a judge of talent.

If we are going to say the jury is out until "these players" turn into something, we could be doing this until 2030. Then we might as well argue Doug blew resigning Linebrink because we could use him now instead of Mota, Gags, Turnbow, Tavarez...and any more reclamation projects we sign.

I very much disagree. Part of the attraction of trading for Linebrink was getting a pair of high draft picks if he walked.

And if you're looking at the trade so far (instead of "2030"), what have Inman, Garrison and Thatcher done to make the deal a fleecing?

Sheesh...how many games have Inman and Garrison won for the Padres?

The obsession that a few posters on this site have with continuing to look back at that trade is beyond bordering on neurotic. Now that the Brewers are a contending team, they will continue to trade prospects for proven major leaguers in an attempt to put them over the top. It just so happens it didn't work this time around, but that doesn't mean that the philosophy is flawed. Personally I like that the Brewers are now looked at as buyers. I can't wait to see the reactions of a few posters here if the Brewers trade for someone like Sabathia or Harden. You think Linebrink was expensive? Just wait.

Sorry for the rant, but the continuing to long for Inman and Garrison just really bugs the heck out of me. The trade was made last year. Let it go! Follow the Brewers.

And if you're looking at the trade so far (instead of "2030"), what have Inman, Garrison and Thatcher done to make the deal a fleecing?

The question I would ask, is do you honestly think SD would "trade back", i.e., would they trade Inman, Garrison & Thatcher for those picks? I don't think they would.

I think it clearly gives SD organizational depth with pitching, which may allow them to make trades this year.

Sorry for the rant, but the continuing to long for Inman and Garrison just really bugs the heck out of me. The trade was made last year.

I think it is natural for Brewer fans to want to follow former farmhands, the thing that continues to bother me about the trade, is our lack of pitching depth in our system.

There is no use crying over spilled milk, but I think continual analysis of these trades gives us a better idea of how good/bad our FO is at evaluating talent.

The obsession that a few posters on this site have with continuing to look back at that trade is beyond bordering on neurotic. Now that the Brewers are a contending team, they will continue to trade prospects for proven major leaguers in an attempt to put them over the top. It just so happens it didn't work this time around, but that doesn't mean that the philosophy is flawed. Personally I like that the Brewers are now looked at as buyers. I can't wait to see the reactions of a few posters here if the Brewers trade for someone like Sabathia or Harden. You think Linebrink was expensive? Just wait.

Sorry for the rant, but the continuing to long for Inman and Garrison just really bugs the heck out of me. The trade was made last year. Let it go! Follow the Brewers.

So I take it you loved the Lew Alcindor deal? John Hadl? Gary Sheffield? Greg Vaughn? Matt Hasselback? I bet the Vikings never have thoughts about Herschel Walker or the Tigers Doyle Alexander?

I do follow the Brewers. What pitching depth do the Brewers have at AA right now that are better than those two? Beeeeeepppp....No one...I will even go as far to those at AAA. Inman was highly ranked in a farm system and Garrison was also a decent ranked prospect.

Back to the original post. I always thought Boone was a good player and wanted him years ago when he was with Cincy.

Also, let's look at the "best" trade of the offseason, the Hamilton trade. Would the Reds trade Edinson back to the Rangers for Hamilton? Would the Rangers trade Hamilton back to the Reds for their pitcher (this may actually be plausible, as pitching always beats out hitting...but the guy is the AL leader in HR's and RBI's, ie. NO!). Much like the Brewers wanted to refresh their system from the ground up and the Padres wanted to get some advanced minor league pitching, the deal worked out exactly how both parties planned...except for the whole Linebrink aspect.

Archived