Brewer Fanatic

Rotation till AS Break

shtiny

I have been having a lot of difficulty getting an answer to the following from anyone covering this team. Maybe someone here can help.

Is there any chance that the Brewers will shuffle the rotation, and allow Sheets to pitch on Saturday on typical rest? If they do that, and push all the other pitchers back one day, then Sheets will pitch on Saturday, Thursday July 3rd, Tuesday July 8th, and most importantly Sunday July 13th (the day prior to the all-star break). If they keep the rotation as is, then Sheets will only have 3 more starts prior to the AS Break as opposed to 4. Is this something that Melvin/Yost has even considered? I see Sheets is scheduled to go on Sunday.

Sheets is listed as the starter for Sunday. I thought someone had a post that Yost thought part of the reason the pitchers are staying healthy was sticking to the rotation and getting guys that extra day of rest every so often.

I'm with you though...I'd like to squeeze an extra start out of Bennie before the break.

Silver Lining...it will set him up well to start the All-Star game...I think there is a reasonable chance of this happening. (I'd rather he didn't even pitch in the game)

isn't that even more of a reason to bump Sheets to Saturday and move Parra to Sunday? Parra would get one less start which he clearly needs more than Sheets. Also, why would the team want Sheets pitching in the AS game??? This would give him a good excuse to miss it. If there are no aspirations to win the pennant, then fine, hold him back for an AS game start and help the publicity of the franchise, but that isn't the case anymore.

My main question, wasn't whether this would occur (moving Sheets up).... It was more of whether it was even a consideration. Does anyone think that Yost/Melvin have mapped out the schedule for the next 3 weeks to realize that the last chance to move Sheets up is tomorrow?

Let's not forget that the ASG has playoff implications. If the NL's best chance to win that game involves Ben Sheets, then I have no problem with him pitching and/or starting, if it means an extra game at Miller Park this October. The potential injury risk aside, I also think it would be very cool to see Big Ben starting the All-Star Game.

Community Moderator

It's tempting to squeeze out that extra start, but I'm fine with sticking to the formula.

It would be different if our starters weren't performing, but I feel like we have a good chance to win with all 5 of them.

Archived