Brewer Fanatic

I would like to go on record as a Tampa Bay Lightning fan

InsomniacInkRoss

The funny thing about Melrose is that, all these years, ESPN made him out to be some coaching genius. Then when he gets hired by Tampa Bay, they show his coaching record, and he only coached for 2 1/2 years and had a terrible record.

That obviously doesn't mean he's necessarily a bad coach, but I just thought it was pretty hilarious.

When the Frozen Four was in Milwaukee, we went to the "Skills Challenge"/Hobey Baker award thing. There were not many people there and Barry Melrose was of course there as the analyst. Some drunk guys spent the whole time yelling "I love you Baaarrrryyy!" among other things and always ended with "I know you can hear me Barry"

We make a joke about this every time Barry's on TV and still giggle. Priceless stuff.

I was surprised to see his minimal success and experience as a head coach, but it will not make me waiver

As soon as I figure out how many games the NHL plays, and what each column means in the standings, I will predict that Tampa will have the highest number in the good column, and lowest in the bad column

I'm going to miss seeing him on ESPN. He made hockey highlights (and games, when they used to broadcast them--I miss hockey nights on ESPN with Gary Thorne or Steve Levy [Mr. Guaranteed triple-overtime playoff game]) fun and interesting. I learned a lot from his analysis.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Don Cherry was added for analysis late in the playoffs this year, but he's never leaving Hockey Night in Canada and the CBC. And the continued existence of the universe was threatened each time Melrose and Cherry were on screen at the same time with their swanky suits of matter and anti-matter.

Buccigross and Levy are the hockey guys, as Bill Pidto is on ESPNEWS. I could see them bringing in Darren Pang again or Ray "Chicken Parm" Ferraro. Unless Brendan Shanahan retires; then it'll be that salty old ice dog.

And that.

Does ESPN even have any other hockey analysts? I think John Buccicross (sp?) does some but I can't think of anyone else. Melrose was definitely awesome.

EJ Hradek is their hockey reporter. He's ok, imo.

Archived