Brewer Fanatic

The "Will Corey Hart sign a new deal?" thread

splitterpfj

OK, let's hear it, will Hart sign a new long-term contract with the Brewers, or will he play it one year at a time, ultimately leaving town once his six years are in?

The team offered Corey a new deal in March, but he turned it down - which way is this going to go?

I'm almost certain will eventually get him signed up, it's just a matter of when it happens. Corey is exactly the type of player you want to be part of your core. He can hit for average and power, you can put him any where in the lineup, he's fast and a threat to steal bases, and plays good outfield defense. What's not to like about that? He's a five tool player that's only 26. The only reason I could possibly see as to not resigning him is the money, but he should be signable. Braun got 8 years $45 million, Corey would certainly go for less, say 7 years $34 million. I'd be happy with that. I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to MLB contracts so that might be off, but I'm sure we could get him for something reasonable.

I think we will see Hart get a one year deal done for next year then shortly after sign a 4 year deal with an option for a 5th much the same as the structure of Hall's deal except for more money. So his deal will go to 2012 with the option in 2013. He is so close to arbitration that it makes sense to see what he can get where Braun was still years away from seeing any substantial money.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Braun got 8 years $45 million, Corey would certainly go for less, say 7 years $34 million

The difference is that Braun was 3 years away from making big money. Hart might get $5 million in arbitration next year already, and he will earn much more in FA. Torii Hunter is somewhat similar to Hart in OPS+ for the last year and a half and Hunter just signed a 5/$90 million deal this offseason. Add the 10% or so inflation that seems to exist in FA contracts...well, it's hard to believe, but that would be around $24 million per year down the road. I know it sounds crazy, but who thought Hunter would get 5/$90 mil this offseason?

Looking at the deal Braun signed, he gets $4, $6 and $8.5 mil in the three arby years. Braun obviously took a discount because it was guaranteed so early, but I think we can look at that contract and the Hall contract for comparison. I would say something like 5, 7, 9 in the three arby years and then try to buy out a FA year or two around 12-15 mill. So maybe a 4 year deal for 33 mil or 5 year 46 mil. And that is probably low.

I say yes he signs.

I think you can build a team around Braun and Hart.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Braun got 8 years $45 million, Corey would certainly go for less, say 7 years $34 million

The difference is that Braun was 3 years away from making big money. Hart might get $5 million in arbitration next year already, and he will earn much more in FA. Torii Hunter is somewhat similar to Hart in OPS+ for the last year and a half and Hunter just signed a 5/$90 million deal this offseason. Add the 10% or so inflation that seems to exist in FA contracts...well, it's hard to believe, but that would be around $24 million per year down the road. I know it sounds crazy, but who thought Hunter would get 5/$90 mil this offseason?

Looking at the deal Braun signed, he gets $4, $6 and $8.5 mil in the three arby years. Braun obviously took a discount because it was guaranteed so early, but I think we can look at that contract and the Hall contract for comparison. I would say something like 5, 7, 9 in the three arby years and then try to buy out a FA year or two around 12-15 mill. So maybe a 4 year deal for 33 mil or 5 year 46 mil. And that is probably low.

Like I said I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to MLB contracts. NFL contracts I could tell you anything you need to know, not the same in this area. As long as it's not unreasonable we should do what it takes to get him signed. Hart is someone we need to keep.

Community Moderator
The Brewers should absolutely try and buy out a year or two of FA. I'd could see Corey being our next Geoff Jenkins--never the star player on the team, but always a consistent top player on the team for the next decade.

Corey probably didn't sign because he knew he wouldn't be in a platoon this year. Playing the entire year will probably drive up his value before he signs the long term contract. If this was the thinking then Hart and his agent are very shrewd, which is to be expected.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I think logan is pretty spot on. He'll see what he's offered in arby and use that as a base to sign a longer deal. Corey definitely wants to stay and wants the security of a long term deal. It's going to be a big contract, but well worth it.

Hart will likely sign, and has stated his full year numbers will get him more of a fair deal. Smart for him to wait since this is his first full time year. Hart is so much better then Jenks that it is a shame that they got linked together. Hart has been hitting not when the team was out of the race like Jenks did each year.

Hart is my favorite Brewer, although Braun's recent signing (and his comments) have raised him to a very close second. I would very much like to see the 2 of them play together as Brewers for many years to come.

The best person to compare, what Corey could expect would be Alex Rios in my opinion. Alex Rios who was entering his first arb year over the off-season got a 7 year, 70 million dollar deal, with a club option for 2015. Corey will not have accumulated as much service time, and Rios got a very rich deal, so I do not expect Hart to get that much but something similar. Just as a guess I would say something like 5 years, and 45 million, with an option year.

I believe that Corey has said that he wants to stay in Milwaukee. He is a player that family means everything to him. And the next thinks are job security and loyalty from the Brewers.

I think the offer made to him in early spring was a low number. But now that the Brewers have signed Braun, he now has a bench mark to work from. The signing of Braun was probably the best thing that could have happened to Corey.

I think he will arbitrate next year for somewhere in the range of 4-6 million dollars. with club working up a deal in the neighborhood of 4 years for 45-50 million dollars with a club option for the fifth year. This will put him in the upper 3rd of outfield contracts offered in the last couple of years.

Archived