Brewer Fanatic

9/18/06 Cardinals (Reyes) @ Milwaukee (Capuano), 7:05 CT

Prince James
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not a jenks apologist or detractor. I won't be hurt if he is gone in the offseason, for financial reasons alone. He should never have been in the 3 spot, and by putting him there I think Ned set him up to fail. He has just never led me to believe he belongs there. But then again what do I know.

Jenkins in a platoon isn't worth his current contract but it's really not THAT bad. Unless someone would be willing to take on his most salary for next year, it probably won't be worth trading Jenkins this off season.

I'm thinking they should keep him. If he OPS's .850 in 450 or so AB's in a platoon, and plays his usual defense, he's worth the $7 million or whatever. I think that actually makes more sense than overpaying in a trade to get a big bat, in concert with not getting sufficient return on Jenkins in a salary dump. Besides, if they wanted to, and he was putting up nice numbers, they could trade him (because they certainly wouldn't pick up the 2008 option).

But, like others have said, Yost has to actually platoon him.

I'm thinking they should keep him. If he OPS's .850 in 450 or so AB's in a platoon, and plays his usual defense, he's worth the $7 million or whatever. I think that actually makes more sense than overpaying in a trade.

Well, a platoon corner OF isn't really worth $7 mil but he's probably worth $3-4 mil. If a team took on Jenkins' contract and threw in a mediocre reliever I'd be tempted if I were Melvin. Like you insinuated, that probably won't happen.

Archived