Brewer Fanatic

Network help

NeedMoreFans

So I'm trying to set up a network at home between our two computers. I've done this before, but for some reason I can't get it to work. I have 2 computers...one that I call Desktop and one I call Livingroom, and I named the network "Our Apartment". Both computers are hooked up to a wireless router. So I ran the wizard on both computers. On the desktop, I can see the livingroom computer, but I can't access it. It says "path not found" or check for permission or something. I can't see the Desktop computer from the Livingroom computer.

Can someone help me get this configured? Thank you!

check your firewall (windows firewall or the firewall on your router/modem). That's what always seems to be messed up whenever I have the same symptoms that you do. Check the firewall on BOTH computers, too. don't know how many times I have checked and re-checked but missed one setting on one of the computers and that was the hitch.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

First things first, let's make sure the computers can ping each other across the network. To do this, we need to know the IP addresses of both computers. If you already know them, you can skip this step. If not, try the following on one of the two computers, doesn't matter which: Start by going to the command prompt (Start->Run, type cmd, hit enter). At the prompt, type ipconfig and hit enter. What you are looking for is the IP address here. Write it down. Then go to the other computer and do the same thing.

Now that we have both of the IP addresses, we will check to see if the computers can communicate on a low level. Still at the command prompt, type: ping [iP address of other PC] and hit enter. It will end up being something like: ping 192.168.1.100. If you get replies, good. We can move on to the next step. If it says that the request timed out, we need to diagnose a little more.

Archived