Brewer Fanatic

Madison-area posters: Rhythm & Booms question.

hawing

Rhythm & Booms, Madison's biggest fireworks show, is this Saturday, 6/28. We usually walk to campus and sit in front of the Washburn Observatory to watch from across Lake Mendota, but the observatory is being renovated and our traditional space is fenced off.

For those of you who check out R&B, but don't want to spend all day and night out at Warner Park, where do you go to watch? I'd prefer to find a place that is accessible from the near west side without a car (Metro may be doable), and doesn't require arriving there hours and hours in advance.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I've found a couple places. I like the Union terrace, but lately, so does everyone else. Last year, we went to James Madison Park, but with Gorham all torn up, it may not be as accessible. Also, the lake smelled bad last summer, so that was a negative for J.M. Park. Otherwise...not sure. We won't be attending this year because we are going on vacation leaving Saturday.

Community Moderator

I can confirm that the lakes smell bad this year due to the flooding.

I think it still is possible to see in that general direction even if you aren't all the way on top of Observatory Hill where it is closed off. Part of the top part of the hill is still open, I'll take a closer look when I go by tomorrow.

You could try Picnic Point, but the bugs have been really nasty out there lately.

Actually, we went by this weekend and there is still some hill space - but considering how full the larger space usually gets (and how quickly), I think the only way we'd score a spot there is to go in like mid-afternoon (earlier than we'd prefer). The nice thing about the larger space is that we've been able to arrive as "late" as 7:00-7:30 and still have a good seat, listen to the end of the Brewer game, etc.

If the Union Theater weren't so tall, we'd have a decent view from the S.O.'s office, and wouldn't have to contend with bugs or even mugginess. But alas.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

You could try Picnic Point, but the bugs have been really nasty out there lately.

i was going to suggest that as well, even though i never spent the summers in madison. i was there one year and we were able to see them pretty well from the pier at my place at the end of henry street.

maybe by the band practice field area/soccer field by the hospital? this is strictly a guess...especially since i havent been on the west side of campus since i graduated in '01.

Archived