Brewer Fanatic

1 win away from 24-10 stretch

If we win today and sweep Atlanta, the Brewers will be 24-10 since the series in Boston... the same record that we started the '07 season with. Should Brewer fans be more excited about this? Are people hesitant to get too worked up after witnessing last year's collapse? Or is it just that a 24-10 run in the middle of the season tends to go unnoticed since it's not as apparent when the casual fan glances at the standings?

I'm not going to lie, I'm feeling pretty jazzed.

Personally, I'd like to hope the run now means a little more than a 24-10 start to the season. Right now, no one can say "they're off to a hot start, but they'll cool down and come back to earth." I also like how it's gone unnoticed, because if they do cool off, it may go unnoticed as well.

24-10, to me, is spoken in the same breath as 4th & 26. both situations, i feel my team SHOULD have won out, most teams WOULD have won out, but that's not how the cards fell.

if this doesn't ring a bell, take a gander at this;

2 huge collapses by my 2 favorite teams. in the eagles game, it was instant. with my beloved brew crew, it was a drawn out punch in my face. last year, i worked at the park, so i saw every botched call by nedly, every error at 3rd (albeit coming from one of my favorite players who now roams LF), every hanging curve, and billy K'ing while trying to pull a pitch down and away. the attitude of the fans slowly became more sour over the course of the season. it was my first glimpse of a serious chance for a playoff push. blah.

this year? in my opinion, this stretch has gone unnoticed due to the relatively slow start by the team in general, and by a few of our stars. the two biggest reasons that i think we have a good chance to keep it up throughout the season;

1. Sheeter is in a contract year and absolutely dominating.

2. Nedly seems to be making better calls this year. It is a lot easier to manage when you don't have Turnblow 1 walk away from a 4 run inning though. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I believe the Brewers are only something like 2 games behind their record last year on this date -- the difference, of course, is that last year the Brewers had a 7 game lead on the division, and this year they're in third place. The insanely hot starts of the Cubs and Cardinals probably also contribute to this recent stretch flying under the radar a bit.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Just to point it out, the Cubs went 25-11 over a stretch in June and July last year which caused the gap with the Brewers to disintegrate.

We're not talking about the hype for 24-10 right now, because Chicago went 22-12 over that same stretch.

That is right we are 2 off last seasons mark, I like the fact that we have had the run now as opposed to start of the year, being the chaser as opposed to the chased is a definite advantage.

Huh? Having less wins is an advantage?

That is right we are 2 off last seasons mark, I like the fact that we have had the run now as opposed to start of the year, being the chaser as opposed to the chased is a definite advantage.

Huh? Having less wins is an advantage?

Heavy is the head that wears the crown. I do get the sense that some teams play tighter when they have a lead in the standings and a team is chasing them. Certainly the Cubs don't seem to be showing that, but I thought that at times about the Brewers last year. Same could be said of the Mets last year. Sure, it's psychobabble, but that doesn't mean it's not sometimes true.

It might be true sometimes, or rather, it might work out that way sometimes, but I don't think I would go so far as to say that it's an ADVANTAGE to be behind in the standings.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

It might be true sometimes, or rather, it might work out that way sometimes, but I don't think I would go so far as to say that it's an ADVANTAGE to be behind in the standings.

Better to be in first place and nervous, then in second and frantic, I'd say.

Way to jinx. Well done.

Yup, the loss was obviously a result of cosmic forces, ancient baseball hexes, and a general Milwaukee malediction all caused by this thread. It had nothing to do with mediocre pitching from Suppan and the Offense's inability to get anything done against a tough righty in Campillo. It's going to be so embarassing when Yost blames me in the post-game press conference.

It's going to be so embarassing when Yost blames me in the post-game press conference.

Well actually, that could probably be viewed as some sot of badge of honor with many around here - after they get done concluding Yost is a bad manager because of his demeanor in said press conference of course.

Archived