Brewer Fanatic

Any chance of Gallardo in September or October? -- Latest: Yo will start this Thursday according to BCR (reply #234ish)

panama74
  • Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he's healthy enough to come back and pitch, why not start him and avoid another start from Suppan or Parra?

If you are that concerned about him throwing too many innings, why not just shut him down completely and avoid risking him at all?

I'm not arguing against using him in the pen per se, as it has been mentioned he immediately becomes the best option out of the pen. I guess I'm more in the space of if you are confident he's ready to go such that you want to bring him back this year, I'd rather take my chances with him over Suppan or Parra right now.

People questioned if that magically 19th date would happen. While I haven't heard exactly it would definatly make sense. He hasn't had one setback along this road. It sounds like he will start in the pen in a Joba Chamberlain type role but don't be surprised if the Brewers make and then advance to the NLCS that Gallardo is that bridge starter in a game 4.

If he's healthy enough to come back and pitch, why not start him and avoid another start from Suppan or Parra?

If you are that concerned about him throwing too many innings, why not just shut him down completely and avoid risking him at all?

Jim Powell (as mentioned in Mass Haas' post), he isn't getting his body ready to hit. He's got to bat, and as much as the Brewers might want his arm on the mound, they can't give away two or three outs a game. I mean, if he were ready to hit and he went 0-3, that's one thing. But from the accounts we are seeing he isn't ready.

The other hindrance to him starting is what his pitch limit will be. Anything under 75 pitches and his starts are going to end up being awful short.

If he can give you an inning or two twice a week, with Riske headed for the DL and Gange throwing BP, it would be nice to have another bullpen arm, even if he can't start.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

From what I know he's scheduled to pitch today in Arizona. I'm guessing he'll be on a strict pitch count, if I had to assume it probably be about 75. I don't know what exactly their plans are for him, but what if they pitched him the first two or three innings against Cincinatti on Friday and then had Bush come in? I know it'd be a weird situation all around, but if Yo was forced to come up in the first or second inning, he could either sac bunt or bat like sheets does... just stand and watch... if he didn't come up until the third we could pinch hit for him and then Bush could come out for the bottom of the 3rd.

I don't know, but if his arm is ready I don't see what the harm would be in doing that. If you can get him on the mound in a role that will help this team, I'm all for it.

If Yo comes out of the bullpen for the Crew in the last week and a half, my entire outlook for this team's playoff chances will have done a complete 180. He will be no worse than Riske, and a very nice 8th inning option. With the Yost firing, these are two potential sparks that may just get this team back on track.

From what I know he's scheduled to pitch today in Arizona. I'm guessing he'll be on a strict pitch count, if I had to assume it probably be about 75. I don't know what exactly their plans are for him, but what if they pitched him the first two or three innings against Cincinatti on Friday and then had Bush come in? I know it'd be a weird situation all around, but if Yo was forced to come up in the first or second inning, he could either sac bunt or bat like sheets does... just stand and watch... if he didn't come up until the third we could pinch hit for him and then Bush could come out for the bottom of the 3rd.

I don't know, but if his arm is ready I don't see what the harm would be in doing that. If you can get him on the mound in a role that will help this team, I'm all for it.

sorry dude, that doesnt make any sense at all. actually, it sounds like a good way for svuem to make sure this 12 game manager tryout is the last he gets.

bush hasnt been pitching bad lately so it doesnt make sense to screw with his turn in the rotation.

yo hasnt pitched in a long, so even if he throws "only" 75 pitches he will not be ready to go by friday.

why risk him even standing there in the batters box? one bad pitch that he has to get out of the way from could damage the knee again.

Yo only pitches from the bullpen if at all.

I was just throwing a what if out there. I wouldn't argue against your comment that bush hasn't been pitching that badly (excluding the Mets game of course, but all of that came in one inning...). But I would think that if they wanted Yovanni to pitch on Friday, he'd pitch on Friday. Maybe he doesn't throw 75, but if he throws 50 or 60 (I'm just throwing arbitrary numbers out there), it doesn't seem like it'd impossible to come back on three days rest.

I'd also argue that if he gets hurt batting it won't have anything to do with the prior injury. If that were to happen it'd be a completely freak accident. We don't want CC to get hurt in the batter's box, but it's a risk that you take in the NL sending your pitcher to the plate.

I also feel that he'll only pitch from the pen, but the situation I brought up is essentially that, a short two inning appearance.

They should just ahve him throw a bullpen session today and have him go on Thursday for Parra. Even if he can only go 70 pitches he probably gives us a better chance to win that Parra does at this point. Manny is just completely messed up at this point.

But I also will be happy if he can be our 8th inning guy. Or perhaps you could go 2 innings 3 times a week?

Is there a typo in the thread title? I looked at reply #123:

The only exception is that a player on the 60-day disabled list may be replaced by another player from the team's 40-man roster (as of August 31) who plays the same position.

Has Yovani been on the 60-day DL? I remember he started on the 15-day DL in May. (just wondering, in case the exception noted above is literally limited to the 60-day DL)

If he really could be "playoff race effective" this year yet, we'd surely have to nickname him Wolverine

Not sure where this points to him possibly returning to the rotation?

Also, again I'm going to ask, how do you attribute a quote to the person that posted it....example: Hawing wrote:

I asked this before, but did not get an answer.

Edit: Ok, after rereading, I guess I can see how this can point to him returning to the rotation. I was looking for some sort of statement from the Brewers.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

They do i[give away at bats] every time Sheets takes the ball.

I'm sure you meant that in jest, but Sheets does attempt to hit, even tho he does it poorly. That's different than ordering a guy to stand at the plate and take pitches until he's out or walks. Heck, I might be tempted to intentionally walk him if he can't run the bases just to see if they'd pinch run for him.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Thanks. Never going to remember that though.
The other thing you can do is just click the "quote" button in the bottom right corner of each post and it'll automatically put it in there for you. But then you gotta edit out the text you don't want to quote.

Also, again I'm going to ask, how do you attribute a quote to the person that posted it....example: Hawing wrote:

I asked this before, but did not get an answer.

Sorry, Patrick. I find when I click on "quote" at the bottom of a post I wish to quote, the quotee's name appears in the top of the box (as it does above). Your entire post doesn't appear above because I edited what was in the box.

Does that help? If it's of any comfort, it was a while before I figured it out myself. (No offense, casey.)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

It's all about his arm strength. I think it's next to impossible to miss the time Yo missed and then magically have the arm strength to start. There's no way unless he's been pitching sessions that are longer than what we've been hearing. You really can't go from not throwing and turn back into a starter in a few weeks and face next to zero competition and then start one of the last few games. I wish he could, but it's almost physically impossible. I don't think it has anything to do with not throwing too many innings, but it's the fact that Yo IMO would be lucky to be effective for 50 pitches. Do you really want to start a guy that on a great day goes 4 innings? I hope Yo does well, but I'm not banking on him even being average. He's taking on a pretty big task in this quick comeback.

As far as him batting, I think that's a moot point. It doesn't matter if he can hit or swing a bat since he won't start for the Brewers. Even if Yo is healthy enough to swing a bat and never picks one up should he get a chance he's better than every start on the team minus CC. I'm not worried about Yo batting if he somehow does the impossible and makes an important start.

Gord Ash says "There was always a chance that he would pitch before the end of the season, but we weren't going to tell you guys that because we didn't want to be on the 'Gallardo watch.'

Gord Ash for President. This seems to mean we have Gallardo kinda coming out of spring training. Time against Cincy will certainly get him tough hitters, so let's see what he can do. Did we just maybe luck into a relief ace?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived