Brewer Fanatic

Any chance of Gallardo in September or October? -- Latest: Yo will start this Thursday according to BCR (reply #234ish)

panama74
  • Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Latest news per TH of JSOnline:

"As I write this blog, right-hander Yovani Gallardo is throwing a simulated game to a handful of Brewers hitters. Gallardo has been out since May 1 with a torn ACL in his right knee and the Brewers have maintained it is a long shot that he will pitch again this season.

But to be at the point of throwing a simulated game means he's not that far away from being ready to pitch in games. The problem the Brewers have is that the minor league season is over and therefore he can't go on a rehab assignment there.

Might we see Gallardo again this year? And, if the Brewers make the playoffs, would they include him on their playoff roster? Because he is on the DL he could be added to the playoff roster. All interesting questions that I'm sure won't be answered at this time for fear of causing a letdown should Gallardo not make it."

How about Gallardo for our 8th inning guy after he gets a little work in? It may have been said already in this thread but he makes a lot of sense. Right now the rotation is clicking, unless Sheets is out for an extended period of time, the bigger need is in the bullpen late in games.

I would all for Gallardo in the 8th. Yo at 5% is better than Gagne or Mota at 100% http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I would be really tough to put him in the rotation. Who do you even take out, they have been pitching so well. The top cadidate might be Parra in order to limit his innings but I am not sure about Parra in the pen, not sure how effective he would be. I say put Gallardo in the 7th-8th inning. He would single handedly improve the bullpen by A LOT.

It really is too bad that there are no minor league games left for him to pitch in. If he could 2 or 3 starts down there and up by mid september starting games, that would be about as awesome as awesome is allowed to be. A healthy Gallardo as a #3? Thats ridiculous. You could go the entire playoffs with your worst starter being Manny Parra......i think it just wet myself.

One simulated game after 4 months of general activity does not equal ready to go - or even near ready necessarily. Absolute best we can hope for is a bullpen role by the end of the month, and even then there's a nice probability he'll be a little shaky.

Still exciting though.

The pen has needs, yes, but those needs can be filled by other people in the rotation. Gallardo is a far better starter than anyone not named CC and Sheets. Who you have in the bullpen doesn't matter if your starter loses the game for you. That is why you want your best starting options on the hill six to eight innings instead of one or two.

I agree with others, Gallardo to the pen. Puts less strain on his body most likely and I would assume as a starter he'd be on a low pitch count so he isn't such a big step up over Parra or Bush. Having him in the 7th or 8th inning role would be just huge though.

Well Tom Haudicourt on ESPN 540 seemed to think that even if Gallardo is ready to go that Melvin and Yost will aid on the side of caution and not let him pitch. Doesn't seem to fit the whole go for it now motto that we are under but Haudicourt said that with the great probability that both Sabathia and Sheets leave via free agency that Gallardo would have to be 99 or 100% healthy. My source that is closer the Gallardo side of it said that Gallardo is the one pushing to get back and he's a pretty driven and stubburn young man. It will be interesting to see what happens. From all accounts Yovani was pretty inpressive/dominate in his sim game yesterday. (It wasn't his first sim game by the way unlike media reports, but just the first infront of the beat hacks.)

If I am a betting man I say that Yovani attempts to comeback and the compromise is a relief role. I am telling you though, don't be surprised if Yovani Gallardo starts another game yet this season.

I would hate to have him rushed back, but if he is already throwing simulated games he must be feeling pretty good. I sure wouldn't want to see him start another game this season. But if the trainers really feel he is fine and could pitch and not do damage to the knee and Yost/Melvin approve man Gallardo could be a filthy 8th inning guy setting up Torres.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Beyond how amazing any return for Yovani would be, I just literally got goosebumps thinking about having the true Relief Ace option that wouldn't be tied to the 9th inning like the Closer tends to be. Can you imagine? Basically any high-leverage situation after the 6th inning, um, yeah, just throw that Gallardo guy out there.

!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I would hate to have him rushed back, but if he is already throwing simulated games he must be feeling pretty good. I sure wouldn't want to see him start another game this season. But if the trainers really feel he is fine and could pitch and not do damage to the knee and Yost/Melvin approve man Gallardo could be a filthy 8th inning guy setting up Torres.
if he is throwing already in simulated games, I would say that trainers are pretty sure he isn't going to hurt it any more. With an ACL, after surgery you really can't damage it by activity, what gets people with ACL is getting over it mentally and not doing something out of norm and hurting another part of your body, that is what is going to concern the trainers more than if his knee will hold up. He will have soreness since he hasn't used the knee a whole lot and swelling stuff like that but the actual ACL won't be a problem.

Also if he is good to go and shows he can pitch, why not have Torres set up for Gallardo?

I'm not a big conspiracy theory guy, but this is interesting... The Sunday game on milwaukeebrewers.com is listing the Brewers starter as TBD. It would also be the 5th day after Yo's extended bullpen session.

Normally, i'd say no chance. But if he looked that good, maybe. Plus, you know they want to limit Manny's innings. And I don't think that the management of the Brewers would let Yo throw with media being able to see unless he was coming back.

Beyond how amazing any return for Yovani would be, I just literally got goosebumps thinking about having the true Relief Ace option that wouldn't be tied to the 9th inning like the Closer tends to be. Can you imagine? Basically any high-leverage situation after the 6th inning, um, yeah, just throw that Gallardo guy out there.

!

Yeah this way if the other teams 3,4,5 hitters are coming up in the 7th or 8th you can use Gallardo then and Gagne/Mota for the other inning and then go Torres in the 9th. It would be awesome, but I won't get to excited just yet. Everything I hear from Melvin makes it seem like a very long shot.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I apologize if this has been addressed already (I did re-read the last few pages), but what's the rule on playoff injuries? (Not his eligibility, I know YoGa's eligible.)

For example, say we submit our playoff roster with Gallardo on it, and then he suffers a setback. Can we replace him once the playoffs start? Or are we effectively down to 24 players the rest of the way?

I'm about 95% sure that you submit a roster for each round of the playoffs. If Yo pitched in the 2nd game of the first series and had a setback, I believe he could be replaced on the roster before the League Championship round if we made it through.
Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

Archived