Brewer Fanatic

Any chance of Gallardo in September or October? -- Latest: Yo will start this Thursday according to BCR (reply #234ish)

panama74

Allow me to wax delusional here:

How awesome would it be if Yo could return and be in the end at the game with it all on the line against the Cubs to end the season against ... Reed Johnson, who's idiotic head first slid injured Yo's knee in the first place. As a Miller Park crowd filled with nothing but Brewer fans gets to its feet, Yo strikes out Johnson sending the Brewers to their first division title in 26 years and eliminates the Cubs from the playoffs.

Like everyone else, I would hate to see Yo come back if it risks long-term health, but how awesome would it be ...

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How awesome would it be if Yo could return and be in the end at the game with it all on the line against the Cubs to end the season against ... Reed Johnson, who's idiotic head first slid injured Yo's knee in the first place. As a Miller Park crowd filled with nothing but Brewer fans gets to its feet, Yo strikes out Johnson sending the Brewers to their first division title in 26 years and eliminates the Cubs from the playoffs.

I would pee my pants for that to happen.

i would think that Liriano would be a good example of why to NOT rush a phenom pitcher back too quickly. The Twins did that and did not have good results. Liriano might help for the stretch run, but I'll be tthat the Twins would have prefered to be "safe" this spring and had Liriano from June-October rather that a dreadful April and August-October.

EDIT: wow, where is my mind tonight? Pedro Liriano? Seriously self, lay off the crack

i would think that Pedro Liriano would be a good example of why to NOT rush a phenom pitcher back too quickly. The Twins did that and did not have good results. Liriano might help for the stretch run, but I'll be tthat the Twins would have prefered to be "safe" this spring and had Liriano from June-October rather that a dreadful April and August-October.

1. Its Francisco Liriano.

2. Knee and elbow are very different injuries.

i would think that Pedro Liriano would be a good example of why to NOT rush a phenom pitcher back too quickly. The Twins did that and did not have good results. Liriano might help for the stretch run, but I'll be tthat the Twins would have prefered to be "safe" this spring and had Liriano from June-October rather that a dreadful April and August-October.
Liriano's situation was completely different as it was an arm injury, not a knee injury.

In principle i agree with the Knee/Arm comparison, but it all depends on the comfort level of the player and not "favoring" a different body part as a result of the injury recovery. While a knee injury shouldn't affect the health of his pitching arm, it WILL affect Yo's delivery and hopefully won't have a long term negative impact

• 2 weeks later...

Gord Ash on WTMJ said this morning that Yo has been cleared to start throwing off the mound by Dr. Raasch. The problem for getting Yo into game shape is that the minor league season will be ending soon and by the time he is ready to get into games, they might have to search around and find somewhere for him to pitch if at all possible.

I imagine though, if they felt they could get him back and he could be productive either in a bullpen role or something, they will find some bush league somewhere to get him some action.

Gord Ash on WTMJ said this morning that Yo has been cleared to start throwing off the mound by Dr. Raasch. The problem for getting Yo into game shape is that the minor league season will be ending soon and by the time he is ready to get into games, they might have to search around and find somewhere for him to pitch if at all possible.

I imagine though, if they felt they could get him back and he could be productive either in a bullpen role or something, they will find some bush league somewhere to get him some action.

Yeah really, there has to be something available. Maybe he can take the Brett Favre route and play with high schoolers.

I'll volunteer to play against him. I'll play 1st base.

This is excellent news. If he can come back even to be our 8th inning guy down the stretch run I will be very happy. You know if he is able to start Bush would most likely get bumped to the bullpen even though he has outperformed Soup.

I wonder if an independent league team would take Gallardo on for some rehab starts. Is that against the rules at all? Doesn't Jim Gantner manage an independent league in Wisconsin somewhere? Wausau is coming to mind. That would seem like a logical fit.

Even if it were legal, why wouldn't the Brewers rehab him with a minor league affiliate?

Is there any sort of instructional ball that will still be going on, or can he rehab with a team that is in the playoffs? It would seem a bit unfair if he was throwing on rehab during a playoff game at any level.

My guess is that Yo will be throwing some bullpens over the next two weeks and then be ready to rehab late this month, with a possible return in mid-September. Is that too optimistic of a timeline?

Wow, that's amazing. Surely he can build up sufficient arm strength in a month?

I would think so as well. And if he's cleared to be throwing off the mound, the knee must be sufficient enough to take that pounding. I wonder if he can jog at all at this point.

The hardest thing about ACL's is the mental block to trust the knee when doing activity. now days after the surgery the knee is as good as new. If Gallardo comes back and gets his arm in-season shape and pitches anything like he can...I can't imagine how good the crew could be

Now, I think that the bullpen is the right place for Gallardo in September to lower the risk factor, but wouldn't a month be enough time to build his arm strength up to starter level?

Very exciting news. I'd been trying not to get my hopes up too much on this one, but I'm hopeful now.

Archived